PDA

View Full Version : lesurecraft???

hellfish
25-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Anyone on here heard of, owned, been for a ride in, have a uncle whos best mates sisters boyfriends room mate owend one... Any info on them would be appreciated.

Crocodile
26-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Hello Hellfish,
Do you mean Leisurecraft as made in QLD in the early 1970's?

Tracker
26-06-2014, 08:58 AM
I think I may know him (uncle whos best mates sisters boyfriends room mate)
not sure though. have to ask nephews worst mates brothers girlfriends exroommate.
(I'm bored)

Chimo
26-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Tri hull ?

If thats what your talking about, great in flat water, not so great in waves, bangs hard. That was my experience in the bigger version of the two. Never ridden in the 6 odd meter one but doubt its much better. Nice in flat water tho.

hellfish
26-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Gday, Crocodile.
Yeah thats the one id say, as I've only ever seen 2 and they have both been in Mackay. Do you know anIy more about them? In perticular the 18ish ft mono? The 2 I've seen have both been monos but they may have made a tri Chimo. Not to sure. Found one for sale for a bargain on the side of thr road and bought it mainly for the tandem trailer it is on but im now thinking it may be worth doing a rebuild on the hull and turning it into a big open tiller. If they arnt to bad of a thing.

Crocodile
26-06-2014, 03:59 PM
Hello Hellfish,
When I was a boy my neighbour had a boat building business, Leisurecraft.
There was a range of sizes.
This was the seventies when it seemed that everybody was making 'glass boats.
The eighteen footer had exaggerated chines at the stern and instead of hollow flare it had another "chine" halfway up the topsides.
The builder had an 18 footer with a 359 Chev and Jacuzzi jet unit, wow, what a performer.
The 18 footer was a copy of the NZ Pelin plans plywood model.
The same builder also made surf lifesaving jet rescue boats.
http://www.jetboatingaustralia.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75:surf&catid=16:members-boats&Itemid=153
In the top row of photos it is top left and second from the right.
http://www.nzjetboating.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=11341.0
It is the red and white one at the top.
308 Holden, Jacuzzi jet and over a tonne of solid fiberglass.
Post some photos so that we can all enjoy a look at the past.
When you consider how well come of these rigs ran you realise how little has been achieved in the last 40 years.

hellfish
27-06-2014, 09:21 PM
Crocodile you lived next door to the bloke who built them. That is what I love about ausfish. There is always someone on here who has the information you want or knows where to get it.
Those jet boats on the links look like a wild piece of gear. They would definetly have to be built like tanks to take that kind of treatment constantly.
The 18 footer you described sounds like the one I've got.

Chimo
28-06-2014, 07:26 AM
Not the hull I was talking about.

Cheers
Chimo

Crocodile
28-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Hello Hellfish,

That is exactly what I was talking about.
Brings a tear to my eye, that piece of nostalgia.!

hellfish
28-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Yeah its a bit nostalgic with the yellow topsides and all, but in a few months it should start to be looking a lot more modern and shiny. As you said its amazing how little the hull designs have changed in such a long time. Ill put a rebuild thread up once I get it started.
Cheers
Rhys