PDA

View Full Version : Any rocky fishing tips?

Stillnojew
25-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi All,

New to the site and fairly new to rocky, came up here from NSW, had a lot of great fishing activity down there and hoping to enjoy a bit up here now with all the local fishos :) does anyone have any good fishing locations or tips for rockhampton and the surrounding area? I do have a 5.2m boat but won't get it up here for a couple of weeks yet but looking forward to taking some trips up the river for those mysterious barra I hear so much about! Hopefully over to the keppel Islands if my boat is big enough hahah but for now anywhere good that's land based? I'm keep to flick a few plastics as soon as possible haha.

wayno60
25-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Never turn your back to the ocean...she will bite you when you least expect it...

Stillnojew
26-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Haha yea I'll be keeping my eye on her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbger
26-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Dont know rocky very well but have fished out at emu park.. there is one pretty good spot near a caravan park out there that has a bridge right next to it. When the tide comes up and flows into the lake bit there is some fish to be caught there.

Stillnojew
26-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks lbger I'll give that a go over the weekend and let you know how it went :)

Boges47
26-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi mate, I used to live in Rocky a lot of full moons ago but used to catch alot of barra in the centre of town. At night try behind the bowls club with live bait. Also we used to walk out on a ledge just to the left of the train bridge (on the city side) at low tide (its still covered with knee high water), but watch out for those lizards (never saw one but they are there). Also we had a few barra tacken at our feet by sharks (surprising how fast you can run 20m on slippery rocks). Also caught barra, queenies and jacks at the sewerage outlet on the other side of the river.

JohnWard
27-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Boges is right with his spots. I'm not the oldest fisherman but they have produced for my father and I fairly often. During winter we get some big salmon and kingfish coming into the fitzroy so live prawns near rock ledges are a good way to get something decent. Other than that you can catch anything in the river it's a real grab bag. Depends on the salt content more than anything I think to know what is around. I don't think crabbing has been productive but that might just be winter. If you goto keppel sands, emu park or yeppoon you can usually get a nice feed of whiting bream and flathead. The causeway is good when the seaside spills in. Check the tides cuz it flows in at 3.6 metres I think. Live prawns have always done well by me as fitzroy bait and even though the causeway is only about 2-3 metres deep there are some barra and jacks in it. Winter though my goto tactic is whiting bream and flathead at the beach. Kinka beach is good. Or Ross creeks mouth when the tide goes out. Finally the rockwalls around rosslyn bay go well during winter you can catch reefies that come close and mackerel. If you have a boat even better. Sadly I'm landbased about 70% of the time so I don't know too many honey holes but the blokes on here would probably help you out when you get your boat. Also barra in lake awoonga and lake monduran about an hour and a half away and two and a half. Soft plastics go well at mouth of Ross creek on flathead and during winter on full moons big Jew come there looking for livies.

Stillnojew
28-06-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks boges47 and johnward, I'll be giving all that a good try till my boat gets up here. Yea I've heard about lake monduran went out there once with the misses for a look was a beautiful place had a chat to an old bloke bringing his boat in had a few pics of Saratoga and barra on his phone aswell as a couple of perch was one of those days you wish you had your boat and gear with you haha, now Ross creek sounds fantastic especially with you mention of Jews I've cought just about all the land based target fish over my years but have never managed to get that damn Jew... I'd go to rocky out cliffs and pylons under bridges where people say there are and spend days chasing em and always the day I go for a walk and a look someone shows up at the boat ramp with a Jew in the back lol I'd love to chase some good barra too, best I've done is 740 mm heading out to check all te spots round emu park and do some fishing around the spots out there that you have mentioned see how it goes ill hit the fitzroy during the week, cheers guys !!

CT
28-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Check out the Cap Coast meet and greet thread. Come along and meet some locals.

Cheers
Craig

Stillnojew
29-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Will do CT cheers, tried out some of those spots mentioned and didn't have much luck, picked up a few under sized Whiting on 3inch blood worm SP a decent sized bream out near the harbour and a couple small finger mark at the causeway on pearl 4inch jerk shads plan on hitting the fitzy next weekend hopefully with a little more luck haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk