PDA

View Full Version : LED anchor light

matty_j
23-06-2014, 05:10 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could identify this anchor light for me?

I'm looking to replace it with the exact same one as I don't want to drill anymore holes than I need to.

Thanks

blairv70
23-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Check Whitworths looks like the same as they sell.

I would check the height though. Looks like you have it on the gunnel which means it will be a bit low.

Blair

mutineer
23-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Very common mine was from bcf ...again though yes it's illegal too short

Angryant
23-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Remove it and take the base to Whitworths/ Bias/ BCF and compare size and screw holes to what's available on the shelf.

matty_j
23-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Well there you go... Time to get a taller light. Thanks everyone.

Rip it up
24-06-2014, 09:09 AM
The removable plug in style work well. Can be stored inside the boat when travelling and installed when needed.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=54133&intAbsolutePage=1

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.

robsue
24-06-2014, 09:28 AM
I just brought a battery led light, and brought a piece of pvc to make it longer, bracket glued to side window, so now light is above canopy
take it out and put in boat when daylight

JJvan84
24-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Except when they get ripped off during extreme crabbing sessions!!

the gecko
25-06-2014, 01:43 PM
I removed my low light after water police gave me a let off one night. I dont think I'll get 2 letoffs.

The long ones that plug in and out are great.

Rip it up
25-06-2014, 04:57 PM
Jjvan it's hard to do extreme crabbing at anchor. So probably just need to remove them prior to pulling anchor.

sharkymark2
25-06-2014, 05:37 PM
What I did after being let off for being to low was to buy an extending one that plugs into the base thats mounted into the front deck of the boat. I also bought a stainless tube that fitted into the old rear light that made my rear light much taller as well.

marto78
25-06-2014, 05:39 PM
You will find that most of those style lights all fit on the same base, which is lucky for me because I used stainless screws into alloy to hold the base and the buggers are stuck fast.

fishychrissy
25-06-2014, 09:41 PM
At least a low sitting one is better than none.
Was less than 20 metres from running over a clown with no lights whatsoever putting around at the Bribie Bridge a couple of hours ago.
He then anchored 1 pylon away from the marked thoroughfare whilst still in stealth mode!
It seems to be the trend in that place...where are the Water Police / Fisheries handing out fines?
Only a matter of time before someone gets badly hurt or worse unfortunately.
Cheers

stue2
26-06-2014, 10:31 AM
You can just change poles and use the same base. I have done that a couple of times now because the stainless base is now different to new ones. Poles are same just drill out pop rivets and bang a new one in.
Cheers
Stu

JJvan84
27-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Jjvan it's hard to do extreme crabbing at anchor. So probably just need to remove them prior to pulling anchor.

Noted, I'll remind you next time we're crabbing!!

Jono

hweebe
21-09-2014, 08:39 PM
I have one of the extendable plug-in led anchor lights from whitworths but am finding that seawater is collecting in the plug and corroding the contacts causing the led to lose the electrical contact. Any suggestions to prevent this from happening?

docaster
21-09-2014, 09:58 PM
I have one of the extendable plug-in led anchor lights from whitworths but am finding that seawater is collecting in the plug and corroding the contacts causing the led to lose the electrical contact. Any suggestions to prevent this from happening?

Can you drill a drain hole in the bottom.

hweebe
21-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Docaster there is already a hole provided for water to drain out but just the initial contact with saltwater is sticking to the contacts causing a greenish corrosion layer that prevents the contacts from touching. But I might try drilling a larger hole though

hweebe
21-09-2014, 10:02 PM
Is there some type of conductive grease that I could use?

Triple
21-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Dielectric grease from any decent auto/boating/hardware store.

frontflip90
22-09-2014, 02:53 PM
have you thought about just putting an led globe in it

CATchin'Em
24-09-2014, 03:11 PM
You will find that most of those style lights all fit on the same base, which is lucky for me because I used stainless screws into alloy to hold the base and the buggers are stuck fast.
Don't worry marto unless you put an dissimilar metal paste on it they will be corroded out already anyway so will come out easy as.

odieman150
24-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Is there some type of conductive grease that I could use?

Have had the problem with the plug-in pole in the past and replaced it with the same unit as i like being able to get it out of the way during daylight hours. Keep a can of lanotec in the boat and give it a squirt now and then. Have had no problems for about 3 years now ;D