PDA

View Full Version : Is it rude to ask for a price match?

blairv70
23-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

I have another thread going looking for a new Overhead. The guys who have replied have said get a Tyrnos which sounds like a good option but I have a dilemma:

######## have the Tyrnos 20 for $229 which is a cracker of a price. I do however do most of my purchases at Tackle Warehouse in Brisbane which is a great shop and happy to support them - except they are another $50 more.

So.....do you think it is rude to ask for a price match? I know online vs bricks and motar etc but i also know they do have sales and easily take 20% of so they must be making some margin....

Does anyone else price match?

stevebris
23-06-2014, 02:06 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask. Just ask nicely and don't be rude if they say no.

Jsmfun
23-06-2014, 02:07 PM
depends mate i think if you are price matching from a apposing bricks and motar company why not but you must factor in the delivery maybe $15 if applicable but i would not price match to say a online company only with a shop you can walk into.
just my oppinion cheers scott

Mike Delisser
23-06-2014, 03:57 PM
You can ask, but you shouldn't get shitty if a local shop doesn't or can't match an online trader. If you believe the T/warehouse normally looks after you well it might be worth giving them the sale, if they can just get close to your online price.

Fillet`n`Release
23-06-2014, 07:15 PM
I always shop around to find the best price possible for many things, and if I can find a competitive price I certainly ask if they can match / beat it. The worst they can say is no, and it's up to you whether you take the convenient/local alternative, or go to another shop or online. It's your hard earned money, and it never hurts to ask (albeit politely :)

I must say there are certainly times where I have no quarms about paying a little more to buy local and support a local business as well.

Good luck on finding a happy medium :)

rosco1974
23-06-2014, 07:19 PM
mate try dinga.same price as m.o.tackle and deliver free..jones tackle normally price match

sharkymark2
24-06-2014, 12:14 AM
I work selling fridges and washers and sometimes have the cheapest price in Australia but people still ask for more off. Where will it end?

Homebrewpig
24-06-2014, 08:38 AM
If I am going to buy a rod or reel I do my research online and find a good price. Then I go into the local and ask what they can do it for, they go online and find the cheapest price and price match it for me. If they are only a little dearer I will still purchase with them, I find it cheap insurance in a way if something is faulty and I don't have stuff around posting it back to the online store.

Camhawk88
24-06-2014, 09:51 AM
I did it with a brake controller. Found it for about $200 delivered on Ebay and was $280 at the local store. I let them know what I could get it for on Ebay and they said the best they can do is $230. So I got it. They did their best price, I could get it right away, support a local business and not run the Australia Post gauntlet.
Doesn't hurt to ask and usually they will give you their best price without giving it away and that is good enough for me.

gr hilly
24-06-2014, 11:22 AM
I don't price match when I buy I feel if you don't want to pay the asking price go elsewhere, the overheads are not the same all over nor is the price of all items I like to support my local Businesses.
cheers Hilly

GM-Bluewater
24-06-2014, 01:54 PM
I spend a fair bit at tackle warehouse, it is a great shop and the staff are really helpful. I have got them to price match a couple of times, as long as freight is factored in. Like others have mentioned, it is great to support your local guy, but in my opinion the support should go both ways!

Cheers

Conrod084
24-06-2014, 04:35 PM
It's always positive to support the local bloke where you can but at the end of the day sometimes the margin can be just too great between them and their online competitors. There are however factors that you need to take into account when buying online. Who are they shipping your goods with and will they be insured for loss or damage? What is the shipping cost? Will your warranty be honoured by a web based business and who will carry out repairs if required? Price is always a big sticking point but sometimes depending on the product it's the back up service that makes the difference between a quality purchase or a waste money. Never be afraid to ask if whats written on the tag is their best price too.

tunaticer
24-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Get your best price then take that quote / advert to BCF and ask for the 10% off deal they offer......BCF can absorb the 10% easily.......ridgy didge shops can't.

Horse
24-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I just tell them what I can get it for and ask if they can get close to it. If they make some sort of effort then the sale is made. they don't have to match the price but I have to know they tried

bennykenny
24-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Get your best price then take that quote / advert to BCF and ask for the 10% off deal they offer......BCF can absorb the 10% easily.......ridgy didge shops can't.

I think you may have bcf confused with bunnings,lowest price guarantee, or they'll beat it by 10%.
Can't say ive ever heard I'd bcf doing that.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2