PDA

View Full Version : advice on small inflatable / motor

tenzing
22-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi All
A mate has asked advice on buying a small inflatable for his solid 15yo.
Dad and son both solid rugby boys so I suspect a bigger capacity is better.
Lives right next to coastal creek so use is there, very possibly poking out on a dead calm day.
Advice on brand , size of boat and motor would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Brendan

chocolatemoose
22-06-2014, 11:25 AM
theres a crazy amount of chinese ones of the market now. all much of a muchness. aquos. island, leasureking, palagic, around 3.2 is the min for 2 big blokes. if they are just pottering a long. a 5hp will keep it all light. if they need to move a bit more. bump it up to 15hp. most come with 5 year warranties now. the thermowelds are pretty good on most.. the glue can be a bit cheap on them. so if the handles start to feel a bit loose in a few years.. dump it on ebay for a few bucks and start again
otherwise. invest in quality with things like mercury(quicksilver) , avon, zodiac, brig etc.

Marlin_Mike
22-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I didn't know there were inflatable motors......................LMAO.........sorry someone was bound to say that sooner or later..........

Chimo
22-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Brendan

Suggest they just get a cheap second hand tinny. A lot less issues and no glue to fail. Same deal as Moose said 5HP or up to 9.9 or 15HP with a licence.

Cheers
Chimo

tenzing
22-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys
I would go the tinny too, less to go wrong.
Then maybe you DO get the rigid boat and inflatable motor!
I think one of my mates has a girlfriend like that ????
Cheers
Brendan

Chimo
22-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Did your mate have to pay for the inflatable bits?

tenzing
22-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Did your mate have to pay for the inflatable bits?

I think so , its just that I think she can be rolled up and put away when not in use - sort of thing.

Blackened
22-06-2014, 06:19 PM
G'day

Give the boys a bit of fun and get them into a thundercat.

Dave

Chimo
22-06-2014, 06:46 PM
Oh sorry Brendan, I was confused, just that one of the guys at the gym was explaining recently about the bits he just bought his girlfriend!