PDA

View Full Version : Klms to the cape

TimBOO
21-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Gday fellas, just wondering if anyone knows how many klms it is from whyte island or mouth of the brissie river up to the cape? Me, Mate and his father in law are going for a trip up to the cape tomorrow and don't wanna run outta fuel? Also would anyone know how much clearance that bridge at whyte island has at high tide?

Cheers

bowds13
21-06-2014, 11:37 AM
It's abit more of a drive but have you considered putting in at bribie or even scarborough? I think it's roughly about 16nm to comby point from there and about 8 or so from
bribie, I could be abit off there so don't hold me to it. My point is I would much rather run out of fuel in the car than in the boat. Carry extra fuel to be safe as well. I all ways carry 20ltrs extra as I know I will get home on 20ltrs from out there.

TimBOO
21-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah true, its a 660 whitley with 160lt tank. Ill see what they reckon. Cheers

blairv70
21-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I do that trip from time to time. Whyte Island to the Cape return plus some trolling drifting etc is around 165 kms. I have a 115 on a 5.5m and that is with two people.

I use around 90 litres of fuel normally in fairly good conditions.

As for the bridge do forget to take your rods out of the rocket launchers and lower your VHF antenna. It is pretty low.

TimBOO
23-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Well we made it out and back. Had plenty of room under the bridge on high tide. Just took it careful and lowered everything like you say. Yeah we tracked it one way and it was 60klm for the cape so yeah blair your spot on. We had roughly 1/4 tank left, only worried as the sticker on the side of the boat says 188ltr but he said it was nearly empty from his last trip and only put 130ltr in which sounded a little weird. Heavy boat and a 4.2l v6 though.

blairv70
23-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Did you have any luck out there? Would have been a great day for it

TimBOO
23-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Little rough around the top of moreton first thing but turned out to be a beautiful day. Not much luck, few trevally, moses pearch and a few other little reefies but nothing great. Fished around brennan shoals but thinking maybe we should have gone wider...