PDA

View Full Version : Purchased used outboard but never received it!!!

ccrogue14
19-06-2014, 07:18 PM
Last week I purchased a used Yamaha 60HP outboard from Gumtree. After speaking to the seller a few times, we decided he would organise wrapping the engine on a pallet and I would organise shipping to Melbourne via TNT. (he lives in Portland VIC)

So I paid him the $$ via direct transfer and booked in the pallet pickup with TNT. It has now been 5 days, TNT tell me they havent picked up the pallet and the seller isn't responding to any of my messages. When I try calling him, his voicemail is full so I cant leave a message.

What should I do now? Get in the car and drive to his house in Portland (5hrs away) or go to the Police and report this?

wayno60
19-06-2014, 07:20 PM
both..........

wayno60
19-06-2014, 07:22 PM
both..........I think your lucky you have his address, that is, if its his address....

ccrogue14
19-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Well I have his full name, address, his banking details, his email address, his mobile phone no and a history of all SMSes sent to him.

I'm just thinking that if I drive up there - I dont know what time of person he is and I dont want this to get physical or explode into an argument.

SummerTrance
19-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Yep I'd report it to police just to get something on the record, and to get their advice on how to proceed. You also have his bank account details which they can trace if needed later down the track, if his other details are bogus. Did he give you a last name ? A simple white pages check could help confirm the address is legit, but no listing doesnt mean he's not there either.

And yeh, I wouldnt be stuffing around and I'd be at his knocking on his door on Saturday. Before you knock on the door, write down the rego of any vehicles at the property. If there is any outcome that isnt you leaving with the motor, go straight to the police.

mik01
19-06-2014, 08:15 PM
If you go to your local cop shop and tell the story with all evidence etc, a sympathetic cop should at least confirm the name you have is legit at that address. If not, they will tell you the name doesn't match the address. But I'm sure they won't give you much more than that.

at least you will know if you've been scammed, or the guy is there and you can pursue him through other means. You should always pay via PayPal, NOT direct bank deposit by the way.

i feel for you mate. I would grab some mates and visit the house if it was me...

ccrogue14
19-06-2014, 08:37 PM
I do have his full name (which matches the name of the bank account I transfered the money to).

A whitepages check of his surname, initial and suburb returns only one listing, a few blocks away from the address I was given.

I think I will go to the police and report it and also ask them for advice on how to proceed.

I mean I can drive to Portland for 5hrs with two of my brothers, but the last thing I want is some sort of ugly confrontation. These days you never know who you are dealing with and what they are capable of.

hainsofast
19-06-2014, 08:41 PM
That is why you always use paypal mate, good luck hope you get a good outcome, I have a massive maltese mate that is out of work you can take with you if you want, this bloke is friggin huge, and will probably come for the drive if you feed him rum.

ccrogue14
19-06-2014, 08:44 PM
That is why you always use paypal mate, good luck hope you get a good outcome, I have a massive maltese mate that is out of work you can take with you if you want, this bloke is friggin huge, and will probably come for the drive if you feed him rum.

I should have I know! And I'm kicking myself for it now.

LoL @ maltese guy

hainsofast
19-06-2014, 08:46 PM
honestly, if you want him to go with, let me know, he is like a movie character

wayno60
20-06-2014, 06:18 PM
probable not in your case but still

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/hundreds-conned-in-gumtree-scam-20130724-2qk7m.html

ccrogue14
28-06-2014, 08:29 AM
I thought I'd post up an update on this. I contacted Police who told me to contact Gumtree, who then told me to contact Police.

A fraud investigation case was opened and I am now waiting to hear back from Vic Police.

Stuart
28-06-2014, 09:46 AM
No surprise there mate. Police are just to busy booking people for doing 5ks over the limit as well as eating donuts.

4x4frog
28-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Sadly, apart from paying him a visit I doubt much else will happen in your favour.
Even if they do find him guilty, he will claim bankruptcy or some such thing and you'll get squat.
Good luck though, be nice if the good guy wins for once :D

4x4frog
28-06-2014, 10:30 AM
probable not in your case but still

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/hundreds-conned-in-gumtree-scam-20130724-2qk7m.html
Honestly in the cases mentioned here about the wanted ads, anyone who gives money to someone who strings them along like mentioned there deserves to lose their money.
In today's society, there are so many stories that would make you wary of this sort of stuff.
Ccrouge, hope there is a good outcome to your's.

ranga7
28-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Don't drive to the address he gave u, do u think he'd give u his right address if he was ripping u off. Hope it works out. 5 days isn't long maybe somethings happened 2 him, just thinking positive, give it a few more days if u haven't heard from him the thing that happened to him should b the maltese guy on the rum.

Good luck mate, i hate scum bags if he is 1.

Stuart
28-06-2014, 12:30 PM
4X4 frog

You say he deserves to loose his money but then you finish of the last sentence with " Hope there is a good outcome" ????? What planet do you come from? No one deserves to loose there money, some people are very naive but that does not mean they deserve it. Try to engage your brain next time.

Stuart
28-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the only way to track this scum is via phone records and the bank transfer. I would contact the banks invloved and let them know you have been scammed. They can and have in the past, retreived the money.

Dignity
28-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I am happy to send you a bottle or two of rum. best of luck.

stevebris
28-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Another way to track this prick is the electoral role. If he is registered to vote you will find him.

FNQCairns
30-08-2014, 03:07 PM
any update?..hope it turned out good regardless.

sharkymark2
30-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Any update on the low life?

Luke G
31-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Have you googled his bsb number to make sure its not a post office credit card? I hope you get your money back