PDA

View Full Version : Merc 60HP 4S standard or 60HP 4s Bigfoot for 4.85 cc

fishwpa
19-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I have to make a decision today as motor being ordered. Boat is 2 weeks away.

I don't want to discuss different brands as the dealer I am buying the boat through is a Mercury dealer and my local dealer is also a Mercury dealer so sticking to the Mercury 60HP 4S. Just need to decide on whether to go the bigfoot or not.

The boat is a Surtees 4.85 CC.

It will be used for fishing lakes, rivers, bays with occasional offshore as well pulling around teenage kids on wakeboards and tubes.

Been quoted $600 to upgrade. Dealer says stick to the standard but didn't really give reasons. What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks.

JulianDeMarchi
19-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Don't go bigfoot man. I had one(60HP) on my old boat and because of the gearing ratios, she was dog slow.

aussiebasser
19-06-2014, 12:34 PM
The big foot is designed for pushing big heavy loads. Like Houseboats and big Oyster barges. Go the standard foot.

oldie
19-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Its a Myth that the Mercury Bigfoot is only designed for pushing barges and house boats, it would be my choice for a boat like you have on order, check out the following comparison chart

http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/media/469961/02963_mercury_marine_bigfoot_a4_flyer_fa_1_.pdf

GO THE BLUES!!

JulianDeMarchi
19-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Its a Myth that the Mercury Bigfoot is only designed for pushing barges and house boats, it would be my choice for a boat like you have on order, check out the following comparison chart

http://www.mercurymarine.com.au/media/469961/02963_mercury_marine_bigfoot_a4_flyer_fa_1_.pdf

GO THE BLUES!!

In the PDF why would they be comparing the Bigfoot 60HP to a F70? The F60 has a gear ratio of 1.85:1

http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Midrange/specifications

oldie
19-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I guess because mercury do not have a 70hp option

stang69
19-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Those in the know will always get the bigfoot. All you have to do is get the right prop matched to the higher gear ratio. You will have much better holeshot, and a much stronger gear box. Its the same motor, but they use the 75-115hp gearbox.
Yamaha 70hp 4 stroke is just a Hi-thrust 60 4 stroke that revs to 6300 and has 4 valves per cylinder.

pilchardjones
24-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I had same dilemma for my 445 Haines hunter and I went for Bigfoot. Good match. Not super quick but plenty fast for me. 5800 rpm is about 35 mph. Great hole shot after I added a permatrim.

Moonlighter
24-06-2014, 10:20 PM
I will make a radical suggestion:

contact Surtees in NZ directly and ask their advice. I found them extremely helpful and responsive to my requests for info when i was buying my boat. They will have set up dozens of those boats and will give it to you straight. Ask to speak to Cliff. A phone call to NZ wont cost you much, or email and ask them to get him to call you.

fishwpa
24-06-2014, 10:28 PM
You've made up my mind. I have ummed and arred?? about calling surtees direct. I have contacted via FB about other issues but not called. I will call tomorrow. Saying that the dealer I am buying from is very experienced so I do respect their advice. Not sure if too late to change - currently sticking with dealer advice and going the standard 60 but will see what cliff or someone else at surtees advise. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim_N
25-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Go the standard gear box.
My last engine was a Yammie 50hp 4 stroke, standard gear case and it went well.
I have upgraded to a Merc 60 hp Bigfoot, bad idea, they are for houseboats.
The extra drag in the water negates any advantage to a "standard" recreational hull.
My boat is a Fisher 4.5 and weighs plenty, but the bigger gear case and prop have done very little performance.
I thought I would get better fuel economy by doing things easier, in fact the opposite has occurred.
I doubt your Surtees would weigh as much as my boat, so go stock standard.
Tim

stang69
25-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Calling the manufacturer might be ok, but they dont test their boats with every outboard combination out there. The dealer might know, but from my experience most have no idea about prop selection so will tell you a big foot is for pushing barges and house boats.
There is a reason that all those 445F owners have the Yamaha Hi-Thrust 60 4 stroke (same as the Merc Bigfoot). The standard 60 is a slug on take off. The Bigfoot will give you the same top end as the standard, but will also give you decent hole shot. And with a 4.8 metre plate boat I am guessing it isnt exactly a light weight boat. If its a light hull then the standard 60 might be ok, but when pulling a wake board like you mentioned you are going to be doing alot of full throttle work just to get on the plane.

Moonlighter
25-06-2014, 04:30 PM
@Stang

Your comments might apply to most manufacturers but in this case, Surtees factory fit and test many boats and in fact the factory acts as the local dealer in their part of NZ, supplying and installing every brand of engine themselves, so I am pretty sure that they will have a very useful opinion for fishwpa on this occasion.

sharkymark2
25-06-2014, 05:41 PM
The standard 60hp has enough power to pop you out of the hole. I normally give mine a little extra throttle at start and once it is up pull back to go to cruise speed. The way the weather is its hard to go flat chat anyway.

Triple
01-07-2014, 07:52 AM
What was surtees response?

fishwpa
01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
What was surtees response?

Go the standard.

fishwpa
09-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Picked her up today and drove her back home - 1400km round trip. Had one issue - on the drive home we lost one of the clip on bench seats somewhere along the the way. Do not know how this happened as they seem to heavy to be blown out of the boat and there was someone with the boat the whole time when we were stopped at servos so not pinched. Can only guess it got dislodged and then got blown out of the boat from wind?? Considering backtracking but it could have been lost anywhere from Sydney to Albury. Anyone had this happen?

Not sure if this pick will be sized ok.

Sorry don't know how to embed.

oldie
09-07-2014, 10:44 PM
sorry to hear, but anything like 'clip on' really needs to be secured by yourself either under the cuddy or in your vehicle for long trips, you only need to drive past a b-double or 2 and its gooooooonnnnnneeeee

sharkymark2
10-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Have you tested your boat yet or is the threat of snow keeping you snug in bed?

fishwpa
10-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Haven't had her in the water yet. Heading down to Lakes Entrance next week with the family. Going to try and fit all electronics over the next few days myself as bank account is no longer capable of paying someone to do this for me. lol.