PDA

View Full Version : Help with drift anchor

brett62
18-06-2014, 09:14 AM
I want to purchase a drift anchor to suit a Whittley cruisemaster 7m which is a heavy boat and have been looking at the Para Anchors. They recommend a number 4 on their web site but wonder if a number 7 would be more suited.

Any recommendations on what would be best as I have never used a drift anchor before.

Also where to purchase in SE QLD.

scottar
18-06-2014, 09:34 AM
A 4 will work. A 7 will work better. I would just check on line with all the usual suspects - Bias, Whitworths etc or check with your prefered marine retailer.

thump-a
18-06-2014, 09:55 AM
I use a 'AIR SOCK" I replaced from Townsville airport a long time ago. It works great as a drift anchor.
My biggest problem is my canopy ; it is the full length of my boat it catches the wind [ breeze ].Great for summer fishing in Townsville.

You've probably heard it before "BIGGER IS BETTER"

Cheers
Graham

scottar
18-06-2014, 12:39 PM
I use a 'AIR SOCK" I replaced from Townsville airport a long time ago. It works great as a drift anchor.
My biggest problem is my canopy ; it is the full length of my boat it catches the wind [ breeze ].Great for summer fishing in Townsville.

You've probably heard it before "BIGGER IS BETTER"

Cheers
Graham

Just so long as your not using runway lights for nav lights as well Graham or when that 747 tries to land on your canopy, as big as it is, it will probably be a bit short one end.LOL. Smart thinking by the way - saved yourself a few bucks.

brett62
18-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks people.

I will go with the "7".

I have only fished a few times down here since arriving from up north and have found the current to really get going.

Tried a little drift fishing just west of Moreton the other day as you would have needed a small car as a sinker to hold bottom if you anchored. I think I was drifting faster than the boat travels with the motor running.

Anyway I need to get use to how to fish down here and this site is a great help.

Been out now 3 times with the son and have a total of fish in the ice box of 2 parrot fish.

We have caught grinners, toad fish, sting rays, more toad fish and more sting rays. Did catch a shovel nose shark just to mix it up a little.

Jakers 69
18-06-2014, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=scottar;1553489]A 4 will work. A 7 will work better. I would just check on line with all the usual suspects - Bias, Whitworths etc or check with your prefered marine retailer.[/QUOTE
Agree with scottar, I have a no 4 and works well on my 6.2m. Bill Corten use a 7 on his 685. They are worth the cost.

Crunchy
18-06-2014, 03:41 PM
They don't do anything in the current only against the wind.

The Mad Cat
18-06-2014, 04:55 PM
I think Spaniard King (a member on Ausfish) sells these sorts of anchors and does good deals to other members.

TMC

gofishin
18-06-2014, 06:19 PM
A 4 will work. A 7 will work better....
...Bill Corten use a 7 on his 685. They are worth the cost.
I believe Bill has been using a 9 for some time now.

I use a 7 on my 685, and at times I wish it was a 9. A mate has just changed from a 7 to a 9 on his 685, and he says it is better.

Brett, with your boat I would go a 9!

Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett62
18-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks Brendon.

I will take your advice. Only want to buy once. The cruisemaster is like a caravan so effected very much by wind.

Mike Delisser
18-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Yeh as some one else said, no effect at all if it's the current that's pushing you along. If the wind is against a strong current it will speed up your drift.

I use a 4 on a 4.4 so a 7 might be best for you. The cheapest place I've found for them is buying on-line direct from Para Anchor themselves. Unless they've stopped selling direct all the info should be on their website.
Cheers

Dignity
18-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Mike,
I know it State of Origin night (go the maroons) and I have started rather early on the tipple, but if the wind is against the current why would you speed up your drift as the current would actually be pulling on the para/drogue, I am talking a fishing situation where most anglers would have them fixed to the stern of the boat. I can understand if it was attached to the bow of the boat you would increase the drift.

I will probably regret this post in the morning when my head clears.

tenzing
18-06-2014, 07:37 PM
I have a 7 on a seafarer victory 6m - perfect
Used a 9 on a KC 2400 on the weekend in a fair blow and it held it up nicely
Your line , whether with bait or plastic attached will always move towards the drogue, so attach to bow if fishing plastic_ it will allow you to cast far astern and work the lure back towards the transom ( ie in the same direction as the drogue pointing forward from the bow)
If bait fishing , attach astern or wherever in the stern half of the boat that you prefer to fish as you want your bait to move ( slowly now) away from you.

As for speeding up your drift if wind against current??
Surely as the current will have a greater effect with the drogue in place, the wind speed will either be enough , or not , to hold you against the current ( or vice versa ) in either case. The design of a cabin boat will allow the wind to have a greater effect against the current if the chute is deployed astern due to a greater " sail " effect from the open cabin catching the wind instead of the enclosed bow section if the boat - significant??
Cheers
Brendan

scottar
18-06-2014, 08:00 PM
About the only time a sea anchor "speeding up a drift" could be an issue is if fishing deep water where the current is only on the surface. You want your vessel to drift at the same speed as the current normally so that your line will hang as close to vertical in the water as possible making the assumption that the whole water column is moving the same (not always the case). The issue is not the actual drift speed itself so much as drift speed/direction compared to the water column below you. The main thing the sea anchor is trying to achieve is to negate all influences apart from current - predominantly wind, so as to try and achieve this. Ultimately with sea anchors bigger is better but they get scary expensive and a bit of handful to manage in a confined cockpit.

Mike Delisser
18-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Mike,
I know it State of Origin night (go the maroons) and I have started rather early on the tipple, but if the wind is against the current why would you speed up your drift as the current would actually be pulling on the para/drogue, I am talking a fishing situation where most anglers would have them fixed to the stern of the boat. I can understand if it was attached to the bow of the boat you would increase the drift.

I will probably regret this post in the morning when my head clears.

I've had a couple too mate (And I may regret it as well) But....IMO...If the wind is against a strong drift, the wind would be slowing your movement, ie you wont's be travailing as fast as the current. Add the Parra Anchor to either the stern or bow and it will pull you along harder.

With a Parra Anchor you still drift with the current, it only lessens the effect of the wind on your drift speed, if the wind is against the current and slowing down your drift, then it stands to reason it will lessen its effect and your speed will increase.

seashawgal
19-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Hello,
I've got a Whittley Impala.
Ros

Spaniard_King
19-06-2014, 10:11 AM
I have sold several para Anchors to friends and customers on here, any boat over 6m/2T needs a 9 for best results

brett62
19-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Glad you joined in Gary.

Was trying to find a contact for you.

Will jump on your web site.

Dignity
19-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I've had a couple too mate (And I may regret it as well) But....IMO...If the wind is against a strong drift, the wind would be slowing your movement, ie you wont's be travailing as fast as the current. Add the Parra Anchor to either the stern or bow and it will pull you along harder.

With a Parra Anchor you still drift with the current, it only lessens the effect of the wind on your drift speed, if the wind is against the current and slowing down your drift, then it stands to reason it will lessen its effect and your speed will increase.
Oh my head still hurts, trying to recover with some of the dog but not sure that is working. I will have think on this later when I am back to normal. I think I better have another beer and leave out the Wild Turkey this time.

brett62
27-06-2014, 04:33 PM
I have sold several para Anchors to friends and customers on here, any boat over 6m/2T needs a 9 for best results

Thanks Gary for the advice and also the purchase.

fisho64
28-06-2014, 02:25 AM
the best quality and price for sea anchors I have come across is this guy, funny name but quality gear and does a good deal
http://www.bigfatsnapper.com/

Spaniard_King
28-06-2014, 06:33 AM
the best quality and price for sea anchors I have come across is this guy, funny name but quality gear and does a good deal
http://www.bigfatsnapper.com/

They don't look to be any of the quality of the Para Anchor

fisho64
29-06-2014, 01:08 AM

nothing like making a derogatory judgement from a postage stamp photo, that it must be shit?? "scratches head"::)

Spaniard_King
29-06-2014, 08:54 AM
nothing like making a derogatory judgement from a postage stamp photo, that it must be shit?? "scratches head"::)

Well if you have compared the 2 you would clearly see the difference so until then keep scratching!

fisho64
29-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Well if you have compared the 2 you would clearly see the difference so until then keep scratching!

Oh, you didnt say you had compared the two side by side so my apologies.
Then I wouldnt have made the mistake of assuming you'd made a throwaway statement bagging a solid Aussie handmade piece of marine equipment.

Why do you think they are shit out of curiousity? So I can have a look at the 6-9M one at my feet and see what needs replacing

Spaniard_King
30-06-2014, 07:25 AM
Oh, you didnt say you had compared the two side by side so my apologies.
Then I wouldnt have made the mistake of assuming you'd made a throwaway statement bagging a solid Aussie handmade piece of marine equipment.

Why do you think they are shit out of curiousity? So I can have a look at the 6-9M one at my feet and see what needs replacing

Read my posts again, where did I say it was shit???

Keep scratching!

fisho64
30-06-2014, 09:12 AM
"They dont look to be any of the quality of the Para"

In what way are they deficient?
I have one here, and it looks pretty damn well made to me.
I, probably like yourself, have been working with boats all my life and cannot see the weakness while I have it in my hands let alone from a tiny photo?

Spaniard_King
30-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Fisho, I am happy you are happy with what you have bought.

fisho64
01-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Im as guilty as the next bloke of buying cheaper overseas, but its disappointing when a competitively priced good quality LOCALLY made product gets knocked by someone who is obviously well respected on here.
And for no apparent reason.
Having read many of your posts on here, I didnt pick you for a knocker.

brett62
13-07-2014, 12:26 PM

Gary, I have received the Para and she is certainly worth the money as for the quality of the build compared to others I had looked at.

Just need to get away from working to try it out. I am glad I got the 9 as I would have been disappointed with a smaller model.

Thanks

Getout
14-07-2014, 03:52 AM
I have a Para Anchor 4 on a 6 m centre cab. It does a great job. If its too windy for it, its too windy to fish. I have thrown away a couple of cheaper imitations that would collapse and turn inside out. The Para is worth the dough.