PDA

View Full Version : Transom Rerating (or possible modificiation)- Yaltacraft or just in general?

quobbarockhopper
17-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Morning all
Does anyone have an experience/ advice with getting their transom rerated?

I have an 06 Yalta 555 and it is rated to 150hp/ 220kg, but in order to fit a yam 150 I want (see other thread for the headaches its causing me!) it would need to be rerated to 235-240kg.

I am aware there is a formula that is used to do this, but I would like to get it done properly through someone reputable to get the required revised compliance plate for insurance/ piece of mind etc…
I live in regional West Oz (aka- middle of nowhere) and have read that it can be done by remote if the required measurements stack up?

If it comes to it, I would consider getting the transom reinforced if its not silly money. Obviously, the design of the transom itself would determine the cost (hence the call to Yalta owners) but if anyone has done this/ heard of this done etc and knows of a ballpark $ figure, that would help a lot before I start making calls.

Cheers, any advice would be great,

Anthony

myusernam
17-06-2014, 11:56 AM
What about a full width aluminium pod - would add boyancy which is what you really want. Also easy to get done in regional area as odds are there will be a good ally welder there somewhere.

gofishin
17-06-2014, 12:11 PM
To take a leaf out of Satnav's book...
1) the max transom weight is normally set by the manufacturer to purposely 'rule out' certain engines that are deemed too heavy.

They do this for structural/warranty/liability purposes but also for general handling/sea keeping abilities.

It might be a brilliant donk (and produces well over 150 HP from memory), but if it turns your boat into a pig it's not good nor is it good commercial sense for the manufacturer to rate the boat as such.

2) the equation for max HP is not the issue, as 'I assume' it has already been satisfied since the boat is already rated at 150 HP.

3) the structural integrity is the main issue, and impossible to gauge if you cannot crawl over the boat, or, have an intimate knowledge of how it has been made. See point 4.

4) The best chance you have of getting someone to re-rate your boat 'sight unseen' is by the original manufacturer (see point 1), or, if you happen to find someone that has previously done this to this model of this age before and obviously knows the model well.

Your best bet is to speak to Shipwrights and Naval Architects in WA first, as some states have different legislation. If you have options, they may know or be able to point you in the right direction.

'IF' you find someone that is willing (read willing to take on the liability, not just give you a plate and certification letter), it will probably cost a bit, even if there are no modifications required.

Plan B might be look for another boat with the power you want and work out what it will cost you to changeover. Compare!

Not meaning to be negative, just looking at the facts - which say that it is probably going to be bloody difficult!

Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quobbarockhopper
17-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Cheers guys, rerating looks like its sorted through a reputable company.

Ive spoken to a fair few other people who have the same motor fitted to the same hull, no one has expereinced any damage as a result, and all the feedback is that the hull performs very well with the 150 on it- no adverse effects to its ride etc..

My main concern was the insurance side of things, and after speaking to my insurance company, the compliance plate and the corresponding rerating is all they need for everything to be above board.

Winning. Hopefully.

thanks again.