PDA

View Full Version : Yalta 555 owners: Urgent transom weight help required please

quobbarockhopper
16-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Hi all

I have a 2005 model hull and am very close to signing up to repower it with a Yammi F150XL. I had/ have some concerns that the outboard may be too heavy for the transom. I have seen previous a previous thread on this site that the maximum weight rating is 190Kg and the Yammi comes in at 228kg, probably around 232kg with hydrolic steering fitted.

My compliance plate (situated just above the transom) says a max horsepower rating of 150, but doesn't specify a weight. In light of this, I called and followed up in a email with Yaltacraft directly, who informed me, in writing, that the max recommended weight was 220kg.

I guess what I would really appreciate peoples advice on is:

- (this may be a stupid question) Is there another compliance plate on the Yaltas that Im not aware of that states the weight?

- Mine is a 2005 model hull- does anyone know if they have increased the weight rating on the 555s over time?

- Can anyone point me in the direction of of any documentation that states the maximum transom weight of the 555s? I cant seem to find anything, that's why I went direct to Yalta when trying to figure it out.

- Im thinking (hoping) that in terms of potential damage to the transom caused by the extra 10-12kgs the yammi weights above the (allegedly?) 220kg rating would be pretty minimal. any thoughts on if the extra 10-12 would really have much effect?

- In terms of insurance, if my compliance plate only states 150hp and no weight and the max weighting (190-220kg?) info I was given only isn't written anywhere, I should not have a problem insurance wise if something was to go wrong?

Thanks a lot for any advice you could give me, it would be really appreciated and save me from a potential disaster, both boat and insurance wise! I need to make a decision in the next few days, and as you can probably tell, this is causing me a lot of indecision/ concern!

Cheers

Anthony

Shark Poker
16-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Anthony,

In order to help you I would suggest that you follow up with Yalta Craft - chase George himself - and ask if he can help.

There are at least another couple active members on here that should help with info on their setups.
Cheers

fishwpa
16-06-2014, 09:07 PM
I absolutely am a newbie and admit I know nothing worthwhile about boats, but I think Yaltacraft gave you the answer you are seeking.

ozynorts
16-06-2014, 09:40 PM
PM sent mate................

Jsmfun
16-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Mate I had the 1800 alrounder and a 115 Yammi 2stroke and it did 43 knts so plenty of power maybe go the 115

hainsofast
16-06-2014, 10:15 PM
demarchi has a 150 four banger on his 555

rtp1984
17-06-2014, 04:58 AM
Hey Anthony.

I have an 08 555, it's plate is just in front of the outboard controls. It states 190 kg.

cheers
Rob

ozynorts
17-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Hey Anthony, clear some PM's mate.

JulianDeMarchi
17-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi all

I have a 2005 model hull and am very close to signing up to repower it with a Yammi F150XL. I had/ have some concerns that the outboard may be too heavy for the transom. I have seen previous a previous thread on this site that the maximum weight rating is 190Kg and the Yammi comes in at 228kg, probably around 232kg with hydrolic steering fitted.

My compliance plate (situated just above the transom) says a max horsepower rating of 150, but doesn't specify a weight. In light of this, I called and followed up in a email with Yaltacraft directly, who informed me, in writing, that the max recommended weight was 220kg.

I guess what I would really appreciate peoples advice on is:

- (this may be a stupid question) Is there another compliance plate on the Yaltas that Im not aware of that states the weight?

- Mine is a 2005 model hull- does anyone know if they have increased the weight rating on the 555s over time?

- Can anyone point me in the direction of of any documentation that states the maximum transom weight of the 555s? I cant seem to find anything, that's why I went direct to Yalta when trying to figure it out.

- Im thinking (hoping) that in terms of potential damage to the transom caused by the extra 10-12kgs the yammi weights above the (allegedly?) 220kg rating would be pretty minimal. any thoughts on if the extra 10-12 would really have much effect?

- In terms of insurance, if my compliance plate only states 150hp and no weight and the max weighting (190-220kg?) info I was given only isn't written anywhere, I should not have a problem insurance wise if something was to go wrong?

Thanks a lot for any advice you could give me, it would be really appreciated and save me from a potential disaster, both boat and insurance wise! I need to make a decision in the next few days, and as you can probably tell, this is causing me a lot of indecision/ concern!

Cheers

Anthony

Tried to reply to your PM mate, but your inbox is full. Here it is:

Heya mate, my Yalta is a 2006 model. Mine does have the weight on the transom on the compliance plate. It is in the splash well up near the two rod holders. Max HP 150 and Max weight 220KG.

So far there has been no issues with the transom, my engine weighs roughly 228KG as well. I have not noticed any cracks other then the gelcoat on the two supports you are talking about, but this is only gelcoat and I think it's more where the floor is joined at the rear.

I would have thought that a 115 on these hulls would make them kinda slugish resulting in a greater fuel burn. The 150 does not struggle at all getting on the plane. It also has enough grunt for bar crossings. Sitting on 3900 RPMs I can sit between 23 - 30knts depending on load and conditions. 3 blokes with a 140 liter esky full pulled 25knts in Morteon bay sitting on 4K. At 1770 between myself and hainesofast and two eskies full we were sitting on roughly 28knts doing 4K coming home from Fitzroy.

If you live in Brissy or Goldie, you're more then happy to come have a look. The boat ramp is only 20mins away too, so we could also take her for a cruise so you can see for yourself.

Jabiru658
17-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Just a thought, if the OP wants more than 115 horses and wants 4 stroke and the weight is a concern then why not look at another brand of outboard?

The Suzuki 140 weighs much less at 184kg for example.

quobbarockhopper
17-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Jabiru... Yeah, I had (breifly) considered the 140 zuk, but theres no dealer/ servicer in my regional West Aust town for 500kms... so warranty servicing is the issue there? along with from the reading Ive done, the zuk 140 seems to be a fair bit less powerful than the Yam 150?

JulianDeMarchi
17-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Jabiru... Yeah, I had (breifly) considered the 140 zuk, but theres no dealer/ servicer in my regional West Aust town for 500kms... so warranty servicing is the issue there? along with from the reading Ive done, the zuk 140 seems to be a fair bit less powerful than the Yam 150?

These are fighting words... haha Religous wars will begin!

From personal expereince, I went in a 5.5meter glass haines with a 140 05' zuke. It did feel like it had less power then the 150 Yammie and wasn't as response as a 150 which I didn't expect to see.

myusernam
17-06-2014, 09:55 AM
what about the new naturally aspirated merc 150 ?

ozynorts
17-06-2014, 10:01 AM
He currently has a Merc on the back that keeps breaking down so is a little off them at the moment....

myusernam
17-06-2014, 10:29 AM
He currently has a Merc on the back that keeps breaking down so is a little off them at the moment....

You cant really tar completely different platforms with the same brush. I work for an OEM (not marine). We make systems by completely different factories and countries even, by engineers from different companies. Some are rebadged from other systems. Others are completely new designs from a fresh team. Every individual item is different. THe new merc 150 underwent a heap of R+D. They offer commercial guys in the states 5 years wty (instead of 1) . Check out the word around the place. looks like a very good thing.

quobbarockhopper
17-06-2014, 10:45 AM
haha... didnt mean to start a company war! :) next thing you know we'll be arguing over stellas v saltigas :)

yeah, from what I can see of the zuk 140 (and im as far from a mathmetician/ mechanic as you can get!) the numbers dont really stack up against the yammi/ honda 150. I know the additional weight/ less displacement etc counts, but from the reviews on similar size/ weight boat I can find (granted, even these are usually overstated as they come from the manufactorers!) , the zuk seems a fair way behind them.

Merc? Yeah, I have read up on the new 4 strokes- they seem very impressive. But, so did the older ones when they were first released, then 3-5 years down the track they turned out to be very unreliable, as I (and general consenus) have found out... if they has been around for a while, Id probably think differently. at least the yammis (yeah, I know, older technology, not as advanced) have proven to be fairly bullet proof. Also, as another guy had pointed out, I know that reputation shouldnt count for everything and the new merc probably are really good, but in terms of resale, Im pretty sure I know what most people would choose if they had the same hull with either a yam/honda vs a merc to pick from.

On that note, does anyone have any expereince with hull rerating? or reinforcement on a yalta? Am seriously looking at getting this done if its not too much $$ wise to keep everything above board insurance wise... but that is probably for another thread...

Again, not trying to start arguements and any info/ advice people can give is very much appreicated

JulianDeMarchi
17-06-2014, 12:37 PM
www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Inline-4/specifications

Look at the new 150. It comes in at 218KGs... F150LA = 218 kg (480lbs)

hainsofast
17-06-2014, 01:10 PM
zukes lighter coz they start rusting as soon as you run salt water through them

ozynorts
17-06-2014, 01:10 PM
The LA is the 20 inch leg, won't fit on a 555 mate. If you look at your link the stated weight for the 25 inch leg is 223kg.

ozynorts
17-06-2014, 01:12 PM
zukes lighter coz they start rusting as soon as you run salt water through them

You are a devoted man aren't you Eddie? Quite a few people in the states have launched a class action against Yamaha over corrosion in the 200 and 225's so at the end of the day mate all motors have their issues.

The Black Unicorn
19-06-2014, 10:06 AM
Don't under estimate the F115 on that hull. Propped right they go well and are very economical.

Cheers
Leo

quobbarockhopper
19-06-2014, 11:38 AM
cheers for all the info guys. Ive had the hull surveyed and re-rated to 240kg and the yam 150 is going on next week.

Happy days, cant wait to get her going with the new heart

On a side note, Ive noticed that the US Yamaha site (the one Julian linked above) has the F150XA at 223kg, but the Australian site has it at 228kg...

Anyone know why this is? My intial thoughts is that it could be:

- The US lists the dry (no oils/ fluids etc) and the aussie one lists the "wet" (with fluids)

or

- There is additional componets added to the aust version to comply with our standards... (just a guess)

Can anyone confirm any of this for me?

JulianDeMarchi
19-06-2014, 11:42 AM
cheers for all the info guys. Ive had the hull surveyed and re-rated to 240kg and the yam 150 is going on next week.

Happy days, cant wait to get her going with the new heart

Great news mate! This opens a world of offerings up, like the verado 150...

stang69
19-06-2014, 03:58 PM
what about the new Mercury 150 4 stroke? Only 204 kg. Less moving parts, better warranty, bigger displacement, and heaps cheaper.
Yammie 150 4 stroke is legendary, but I would be considering this motor if I was looking at a 150hp.

quobbarockhopper
20-06-2014, 04:09 PM
yep stang, did look into the merc. couple of things turned me off it: 1) my last one turned out to be a hunk of junk, once bitten, twice shy (yeah I know its a totally different motor but me and my bank balance still have a bad taste in our mouths from it) and 2) the merc 150 is only a year or so old... all the old optimaxs at that point were getting rave reviews, until they got 500/600 hours in and all the known issues started.

No doubt the merc 4 will turn out to be a good engine and the specs on it look impressive, but I know what Im getting with the yammi long term: might not be the cheapest/ lightest/ strongest/ most fuel efficient, but its got a good history and that's good enough for me