PDA

View Full Version : Alan Smith

liltuffy
12-06-2014, 05:54 PM
Folk, I am assuming there may be a few on here who know a great fisherman named Alan Smith.

I first met Alan at the Straddie Classic in 1998, I was staying at his place at Amity point along with a couple of other competitors. One day whilst Al was out fishing with another I decided to borrow Alan's centre console Oceaneer and head to the coffee rock to bag a few crays, bagged a lot actually but that's another story.

These were the heady days when fishing comps offered large pools of cash and prizes and legendary fisherfolk such as John Palermo, Alan Smith, Phil Kaye, Zak Piletic, Cliff Andreaason and a host of others graced the leader board year after year, Ron Collins from Bush and Beach also featured in pretty much everything going as well.

I've counted Alan as a great mate since our introduction in 1998 and we have had countless fishing trips together catching mackerel all over the place and at DI point beach launching in the lagoon heading out for macks and reefies. I go so far as to say that Alan was my offshore fishing master and most of what I know now was gleaned from Alan.

Alan has recently been diagnosed, had surgery and undergone his first round of chemo treatment originally for bowel cancer but this scourge seems to have spread to numerous other parts of his body, including lungs, spine and liver.

I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone, this is a message to anyone who knows or knew Alan that he is in a very poor position at the moment and the outlook is very poor.

If you did or do know him and feel the need to reach out to him, I'd suggest you do it sooner rather than later. This is the Alan previously from New Cleveland Road at Tingalpa and now at Kianawah Road Wynnum.

I have his number if you need it. Cheers Craig