PDA

View Full Version : Man who stole from crab pots fined $109,000

GraemeW
12-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Fraser Coast Chronicle >> http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/crab-pot-thief-fined-109k/2286851/

12th Jun 2014 5:00 AM

A Boonooroo fisherman was slapped with nearly $110,000 in fines after keeping undersize catches and stealing from crab pots.

Brian Daniel Levinge, 43, pleaded guilty to 24 charges, which included numerous counts of unlawful possession of regulated fish at the Maryborough Magistrate Court on Wednesday.
Noel Riley, from the Queensland Department of Fisheries, told the court fisheries officers went to Levinge's home on March 6, 2013, where they found 31 undersize mud crabs, 200 female mud crab claws, 371 mud crab halves and three female mud crabs.
Mr Riley said there was a second incident on November 29, when fisheries officers patrolling waters opposite Fraser Island observed Levinge in a white commercial vessel and found about 27 undersize fish on board.
He then told the court about a third instance involving stealing from crab pots.

After complaints from commercial fishermen, fisheries officers set marked pots and filmed Levinge removing them.
Levinge's lawyer said her client was a father of two teenagers and a third-generation fisherman.
"I'm informed last year things got really tough for him," she said.

The lawyer told the court Levinge was only making $17,000 and suffered further financial loss from his boat being impounded.
Magistrate John Smith forfeited the man's commercial fishing licence for 12 months and recorded each of the 24 convictions.
Mr Smith fined Levinge $38,500 for the first offences, $38,500 for the second and $32,500 for the third offences.
Levinge was also ordered to pay $243.30 in court costs.

warrigul
12-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Should never be allowed to hold a commercial ticket again, and hope they also have the market where he was selling the product under control. things may have been tough financially, cry me a river, you are the scourge of the industry, now see how good things go, no boat, no licence, but I fear he will be back in a boat, at night doing the same crap, next time jail buddy as I don't see you paying the fine any time soon, being that you are doing tuff. pffft. SCUM!!!!!!!
Well done fisheries , onto the next one.
p.s watch him

snakecatcher
12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
I agree take his licence and his boat so he can't do it again. These people rape and pillage crab stocks and fish stocks and wonder why nothing is left in a few years - more fisheries officers needed I reckon

Back In Black
12-06-2014, 10:04 PM
"I'm informed things got really tough for him last year"

You must be joking!! Here's a thought mate.

Do what we all do when things get tough, start earlier. finish later & work your ring out.

At least if you fail, no one can say you didn't try, but to break the law, sorry mate, you got everything you deserve!!

Tony

rexwatto
13-06-2014, 08:07 AM
"I'm informed things got really tough for him last year"

You must be joking!! Here's a thought mate.

Do what we all do when things get tough, start earlier. finish later & work your ring out.

At least if you fail, no one can say you didn't try, but to break the law, sorry mate, you got everything you deserve!!

Tony

Completely agree Tony - well said

GraemeW
13-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Pictures from Fisheries Queensland of illegal catch.

Axl
13-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Fraser Coast Chronicle >> http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au/news/crab-pot-thief-fined-109k/2286851/

12th Jun 2014 5:00 AM

A Boonooroo fisherman was slapped with nearly $110,000 in fines after keeping undersize catches and stealing from crab pots.

Brian Daniel Levinge, 43, pleaded guilty to 24 charges, which included numerous counts of unlawful possession of regulated fish at the Maryborough Magistrate Court on Wednesday.
Noel Riley, from the Queensland Department of Fisheries, told the court fisheries officers went to Levinge's home on March 6, 2013, where they found 31 undersize mud crabs, 200 female mud crab claws, 371 mud crab halves and three female mud crabs.
Mr Riley said there was a second incident on November 29, when fisheries officers patrolling waters opposite Fraser Island observed Levinge in a white commercial vessel and found about 27 undersize fish on board.
He then told the court about a third instance involving stealing from crab pots.

After complaints from commercial fishermen, fisheries officers set marked pots and filmed Levinge removing them.
Levinge's lawyer said her client was a father of two teenagers and a third-generation fisherman.
"I'm informed last year things got really tough for him," she said.

The lawyer told the court Levinge was only making $17,000 and suffered further financial loss from his boat being impounded.
Magistrate John Smith forfeited the man's commercial fishing licence for 12 months and recorded each of the 24 convictions.
Mr Smith fined Levinge $38,500 for the first offences, $38,500 for the second and $32,500 for the third offences.
Levinge was also ordered to pay $243.30 in court costs.

Good to see they got this guy but I am curious as to how they would know that the 200 mud crab claws were from female crabs?

Beard1705
13-06-2014, 02:31 PM
One assumes the can test for female chromosomes in animals same as humans. Lots of R&D going on in Fisheries at the moment on breeding stocks for fish and crabs.

Well done fisheries. If you don't do anything wrong you should have nothing to be concerned about from them.