PDA

View Full Version : Blowout on the trailer

Ozwatson
10-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Had a blowout on the way home from Moogerah yesterday so now considering whether to just replace the tyre or upgrade the running gear. The trailer has those toy 10" wheels with the bearings fitted into the wheel - i.e. no separate hub. Makes a messy job of changing a tyre - thankfully the spare had air in it and with some mucking around and lots of grease (and help from a friendly local) got the bearings out of the old wheel and into the spare and back together, then a steady drive home. But now I'm thinking it would be so much easier with normal bolt on wheels and bigger wheels wouldn't have to spin as fast.

Is it worth putting proper hubs on and what's involved? Can I just put a standard trailer hub on the existing axles or would I need a new axle? Then what size wheels? To go to a 14" or something I'm going to need a while lot more clearance under the guards - might get a bit by moving the axle under the springs but may not be enough, so then I guess longer hangers for the springs, or new springs? At least there's no brakes to deal with but still starting to look like a bit of money unless I can scrounge some wheels. Might be able to get a 13 or even a 12" but I don't know how easy they are to come by.

Alternative is to just replace the tyre(s) - probably get all 3 to be safe. Can you get these tyres at normal tyre shops (eg. Bob Jane, etc)? 5.00x10 is the size I think. New bearings and a spare set for good luck.

Just after some opinions. Can these little wheels handle highway speeds for a couple of hours (about the limit of our travels)? Or is the expense of upgrading to bigger wheels and making them fit (and making sure the trailer doesn't end up too high) not worth it?

cheers
Andrew

Dan5
10-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Well 14'' wheels really are ideal normally but I'd say that you would need to change your whole suspension set up completely and possibly your guards aswell......

If you don't regularly tow larger distances I'd be inclined to do the 3 new tyre thing and possibly replace your bearings while your at it......it all depends on the amount you use it and the distance's you travel.

Dan

DATCOL
10-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Hi Andrew you should be able to fit a early Holden 5 stud 108 PCD hub straight on the existing axel & then there is 10", 13", & 14" rims that will fit
I can supply new rims & tyres 13" Galvanised rim $65.00 155X13 light truck tyre $80.00
Cheers COL

Chimo
11-06-2014, 07:02 AM
What Col said for sure. Andrew those liittle wheels are just OK for ramp trolleys and even then only if you get them for nix. If you want to get rid of your old ones after you do as Col suggested PM me as I could use one or two for spares

Cheers
Chimo

DATCOL
11-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Andrew The size difference between the 10" is 521Mm overall height & the 13" is 578Mm overall Cheers COL

fisho64
11-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Andrew The size difference between the 10" is 521Mm overall height & the 13" is 578Mm overall Cheers COL
which would only come 25mm closer to guard and lift trailer 25mm.

Those 10" rims you can get at Bunnings, for your wheelbarrow!

Ozwatson
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a think about it but it sound possible although would still need to move the axle under the springs as probably only couple of inches clearance to the guards now. DATCOL can you do those in Brisbane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharkymark2
11-06-2014, 02:06 PM
How long have you had those 10" tyres on? Maybe they were old and had cracked walls. I think easier job would be to replace with new quality tyres. I had a trailer or 2 with 10" rims and never had an issue and used them heaps.

Ozwatson
13-06-2014, 09:47 AM
How long have you had those 10" tyres on? Maybe they were old and had cracked walls. I think easier job would be to replace with new quality tyres. I had a trailer or 2 with 10" rims and never had an issue and used them heaps.

Been out of town for a couple of days. I've only had the boat since Jan but I suspect the tyres are quite old. I'll do some sums either way and then decide best way to go. If I can scrounge some wheels then it might even up the score, otherwise some new rubber on the existing rims will be much cheaper I guess. I don't generally tow it too far from home so just need to weigh up the options.