PDA

View Full Version : Ive got to know how croc got the guy

odes20
08-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Its dreadful that this 62 yr old has been lost to a croc, but while maintaining total respect for his family, i want to know how this croc got him. In , out of boat, i dont know, but as one who fishes croc infested waters at times its disconcerting to hear he was taken at a boat. Im just hoping we get to hear the exact circumstances, so if something extra ordinary has occurred we can improve our safety and practises when boating and fishing.

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 09:14 PM
4.7m croc. Car topper boat.

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 09:16 PM
There needs to be a major cull. Plague proportions and no fear of humans anymore. On the adelaide river one day I counted 140 on the bank in a 10 km stretch

odes20
08-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Specific info is what im interested in.

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Police say the 62-year-old was with his wife, son and daughter-in-law at Flying Fox waterhole on a fishing trip when he was taken yesterday afternoon around 5pm.

Police said the man was in a boat and washing or emptying a bucket at the time of the attack.

The man’s family heard splashing sounds but were not able to save him

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 09:27 PM
As much info thats been released

4x4frog
08-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I saw the ABC news this morning early and there was a mention that they were the only boat in a restricted area, which was that way because of the number of rouge/large crocs there.
Not sure how true that is

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Sergeant Andrew Hocking said the area where the man went missing had recently been reopened to coincide with the start of the Dry season.

odes20
08-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Size of boat doesnt come into it if he was actively doing something in the water eg. Washing a bucket. If a croc starts actually invading a boat thats a differnt scenario

scorpo92
08-06-2014, 10:05 PM
Thats right mate. 9\10 Times attacks are caused by complete lack of care

Knotpretty
09-06-2014, 08:00 AM
They shot two crocs human remains were found in one. Time to raise the sides of my boat and time to stop teaching crocs to jump beside boats for food. KP

sharkymark2
09-06-2014, 08:42 AM
I am always spooky about washing hands over side of boat at night. tell my wife to scoop a part bucket and do it that way.

bobbyb
09-06-2014, 08:58 AM
some years back I remember a asian bloke on the news with big teeth/claw marks down his back where a croc jumped in the back of his 16 foot half cab to grab him. definitely gota stop teaching them boats mean food and all they have to do is jump up and grab it...

Nicko_Cairns
09-06-2014, 12:36 PM
I think they should run croc shooting safaris, people would pay big money to shoot one then local communities could prep the skin and head for shipment to the shooter, it would get rid of the big fellas and bring in some healthy revenue, similar to what they do in safari parks around the world.

scottar
09-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Maybe we need some "Swamp People" style fishing charters. Maybe get the yanks over and show them how a real walking handbag goes. We certainly need to reintroduce the fear element back into these things or things will only get worse as they get bigger and more accustomed to humans meaning food. Other than that people may have to start carrying high velocity sinker launchers because "barramundi are a bloody big fish".

Louis
09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
I wonder if they will wind up as far south as Brisbane one day.

L

rainbowrascal
09-06-2014, 04:37 PM
How can the authorities allow and have registered tour operators in the NT who feed crocodiles food attached to poles for the sake of a few dollars for tourists. They are teaching crocodiles to be attracted to outboard motors and to associate boats, especially fishing boats as the pole is similar to a rod, as a food source. Some of the crocs are lunging 2 to 3 metres out of the water and can be viewed on Youtube.These crocs that are fed often move and migrate to a different area due to the growing population. When a 5 metre croc approaches a smaller size boat he is going to nudge it if he is hungry. This wont be the last you have heard of them taking people in this area. Who ever licenced the tour operators should be shot. Two crocs have been spotted in and around Hervey Bay just in the last month. A 4m resident of the Mary River was captured a few months back so they are in some pretty populated areas close to the Sunshine Coast.

scorpo92
09-06-2014, 04:39 PM
How can the authorities allow and have registered tour operators in the NT who feed crocodiles food attached to poles for the sake of a few dollars for tourists. They are teaching crocodiles to be attracted to outboard motors and to associate boats, especially fishing boats as the pole is similar to a rod, as a food source. Some of the crocs are lunging 2 to 3 metres out of the water and can be viewed on Youtube.These crocs that are fed often move and migrate to a different area due to the growing population. When a 5 metre croc approaches a smaller size boat he is going to nudge it if he is hungry. This wont be the last you have heard of them taking people in this area. Who ever licenced the tour operators should be shot.

Thats only done on the adelaide. Never had any troubles sleeping on that river in a 4.5m

Mike Delisser
09-06-2014, 05:16 PM
The news I saw said he was emptying a bucket over the side.

odes20
09-06-2014, 05:31 PM
I read originally he was washing a bucket. Thats different to emptying one. You can empty one from a standing position. Surely his arms or hands were at water level to be grabbed. Ive seen crocs lunge at water disturbances before. So if you are washing a bucket by hand you are very vulnerable. I hope we get accurate info soon.

4x4frog
09-06-2014, 05:47 PM
Certainly lots of reports of how it happened.
I agree with the do not feed them from boats scenario.
It's a bit like the Dingoes on Fraser. I think there needs to be more research into whether it is the feeding that is the problem and that way it can be a positive when it is stopped.

Camhawk88
09-06-2014, 06:36 PM
It's a bit like the Dingoes on Fraser.

Exactly- it is conditioning a wild animal to interact with humans for food. A healthy feraful respect needs to be displayed by both parties to reduce these sorts of incidents. The Adelaide River croc shows have been operating for over 20 years and as mentioned some of these animals will migrate to other rivers. I always thought it was a crazy practise and am surprised we havent seen more issues similar to this, particularly in the Adelaide.

Dan5
09-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Well I have fished the Adelaide many times and have been on the jumping croc cruise a few times when family/friends visit........The crocs are definatly tuned into the sounds of the croc feeding boats and not the average fishing boat....I have been there many times in my own boats and although you see some crocs it's not like when you go there in the feeding boats.....then they come out of the woodwork and you really see how many there really are there. So IMO they do not associate your normal 4-5mtr fishing boat with a free feed...........Now in saying this crocs naturally jump for food.....FACT......yes teasing them with a piece of pig on a stick definatly encourages this though...........I have actually pulled up very close to the jumping croc boats in my own boat and not once have the reptiles been even remotely interested in me(or so they seemed)........

Yes there are now more larger crocs being sighted but we are not seeing them in Woolies are we?.......I've been living here for near on 25 years and have had a few close encounters but always in their habitat..........If we choose to interact with them respect for them must be given.

My thoughts are with the family who has lost a loved one but I suspect he may have put himself at risk somehow......unfortunately we may never know but it does not sound like it launched from the water and grabbed him from the middle of the boat.

Have a look at all of the recent crocodile attacks and you will see that the victims where directly in croc habitat wether the victim knew it or not they were in at risk places.

Dan

aussiebasser
09-06-2014, 08:17 PM
Wasn't he in the South Alligator?

scorpo92
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Wasn't he in the South Alligator?

Yer mate. But the only croc feeding is on the Adelaide

scorpo92
09-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Well I have fished the Adelaide many times and have been on the jumping croc cruise a few times when family/friends visit........The crocs are definatly tuned into the sounds of the croc feeding boats and not the average fishing boat....I have been there many times in my own boats and although you see some crocs it's not like when you go there in the feeding boats.....then they come out of the woodwork and you really see how many there really are there. So IMO they do not associate your normal 4-5mtr fishing boat with a free feed...........Now in saying this crocs naturally jump for food.....FACT......yes teasing them with a piece of pig on a stick definatly encourages this though...........I have actually pulled up very close to the jumping croc boats in my own boat and not once have the reptiles been even remotely interested in me(or so they seemed)........

Yes there are now more larger crocs being sighted but we are not seeing them in Woolies are we?.......I've been living here for near on 25 years and have had a few close encounters but always in their habitat..........If we choose to interact with them respect for them must be given.

My thoughts are with the family who has lost a loved one but I suspect he may have put himself at risk somehow......unfortunately we may never know but it does not sound like it launched from the water and grabbed him from the middle of the boat.

Have a look at all of the recent crocodile attacks and you will see that the victims where directly in croc habitat wether the victim knew it or not they were in at risk places.

Dan

Couldnt agree more

Dogtoooth
09-06-2014, 08:53 PM
I agree 100% with you scorpo 92 for a few reasons. We need a cull and we need it now! The problem is convincing all the greenie clowns down south who make these rules for the people in the top end, those people have no idea whats going on in the topend. A cull would also help the Barra get back in good numbers as well other species. A cull would also create jobs, like get the yanks over here for them to shoot problem 5mtr+ croc's and take home a trophy to put their wall. In the mean time all the crocs hold all the cards! Its just a case of wait and listen. Who's next.

scorpo92
09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I agree 100% with you scorpo 92 for a few reasons. We need a cull and we need it now! The problem is convincing all the greenie clowns down south who make these rules for the people in the top end, those people have no idea whats going on in the topend. A cull would also help the Barra get back in good numbers as well other species. A cull would also create jobs, like get the yanks over here for them to shoot problem 5mtr+ croc's and take home a trophy to put their wall. In the mean time all the crocs hold all the cards! Its just a case of wait and listen. Who's next.

They were looking at having the traditional owners running a few safaris but haven't heard any news on the subject lately

chris69
09-06-2014, 09:07 PM
May be the Greeny convention should have a swimming race there every month that would keep the crocs tummy satisfied.

scorpo92
09-06-2014, 09:08 PM
May be the Greeny convention should have a swimming race there every month that would keep the crocs tummy satisfied.

Hahaha nothing would eat those filthy cretins

Dan5
09-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Help Barra get back to good numbers? Are you smoking Crack?.......Do you really think crocodiles have a significant impact on the numbers of wild Barramundi?........

Shark Poker
09-06-2014, 09:09 PM
The croc tours on the Adellaide River with the jump for lunch fellas were going on since I first saw them in the 70's.

The calls for culls have also been going on for over 30 years by some people.

I don't keep track of stats on who's been bit lately because it has always seemed clear to me that crocs attack people way less than they are capable of doing.

An interesting report from NT Police would be how many unfortunate persons have suffered from traffic accidents on the way to and from (Barra) fishing trips over the years.

But seriously, up that way the crocs are only one danger. The sun will cook you, currents and tides drag you away... Box jellyfish and (trust me) even half separated tentacles burn the #### out of you. Sea lice... small sharks, other sharks, malaria..... But the one to watch out for is Barra Fever!

Sincerely - no disrespect to the fella or his family- but he was doing what he most likely loved.

And what a way to go!!!! Legend.....

odes20
09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Yes i agree too. Cull the big ones.You'll never protect a fool who swims a river drunk or whatever, but losing everyday blokes
like this chap is really sad.
The reality is that humans are not all croc savy and we are accident prone, and forgetful, and if we are going to let all humans near them, we will continue with fatalities. I know its their habitat, but at the end if the day i personally value a human life more than any animal on the planet.

tunaticer
09-06-2014, 09:24 PM
I wonder how many crocs are fed beside the boat by non tour boats??
There are plenty of photos and vids on the web ofpeople tempting crocs for a photo.....all adds to the training.

odes20
09-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Crocs really come in for splashing and water disturbance, ive seen this. Washing a bucket is a perfect draw, if thats how exposed he was to the water

Shark Poker
09-06-2014, 09:43 PM
A controlled cull where people (tourists) are paying for the chance to shoot certain crocs does have possibilities.
I understand in places like Alaska this happens successfully with Bears. With few complaints from any of those involved.
Whether the NT Gov't can manage this is a big question. Don't forget they have animal lobbies as well.

Odes20, I didn't mean to ignore your question. We both know of the crocs stalking ability. And surely you are not going to apply too much belief in the details of media reports. (They just want headlines)
I like your question but all it comes down to is to taking individual care in order to not become an unlucky statistic.

As a kid in Darwin we saw people happily swimming in places we thought were very stupid. Saw a kid reach into the water to touch something one arvo. It was a box jellyfish.
Hurt her hand, but Darwin Hospital was only a few minutes from Rapid Creek, so she should have been totally ok.

One afternoon a mate got off our school bus and went home to find out his Dad (and Dads' mate) was killed by crocs that day after their tinny capsized.
A work colleague of my fathers was one of those whose boat was attacked by the legendary Sweetheart. He survived after a terrifying night.

So its no joke. Need to be careful up that way. But the Barra and other northern sportfish, plus the adventures up there make it all worthwhile.

Apollo
10-06-2014, 05:33 AM
Surely the croc population is getting to the point where we could adapt a system similar to the US alligator harvesting season, controlled by allocated tags. Traditional land holders can be issued with these tags and conduct safaris or commercial harvesting in controlled areas. Makes sense to aim for safari type venture as the best return per tag would be likely, but that would be up to the tag holder. Creates jobs, keeps croc populations in check, improves tourisim, ensures a systematic approach to croc management. Win/win (except for the croc!)

odes20
10-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Going up the Gulf again with a bunch of blokes in July. There are plenty crocs where we are going. I know some people have a Safety Tool Box talk at work at the start of a days work, i think we will be having a Tackle Box Talk! Just to sharpen our thoughts and awareness.

Giffo65
10-06-2014, 08:23 AM
We have a shark control system here on the Goldy, with a licenced contractor looking after it.What is the difference with a program for the crocs up North ? As mentioned, some people would pay big bucks to shoot a croc !

Matthias
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Crocs are trapped and taken to the croc farm by National parks all the time. They get calls about problem crocs- go set a trap - and then get rid of them. Or they set traps in places like Katherine gorge after the wet and send those ones to the farm before its opened up to tourists.

I think the main problem is people cleaning their fish and throwing the frames off the boat and/or feeding the crocs. To be honest it would be cool to feed a 4m wild croc and who wants to bury the fish frames way up in the bush when you can just chuck em in the water? If people are too lazy to clean up their camp sites as if they give a crap about where they dispose of the fish waste.

I think no matter what measures are put in place people will get taken regardless. People do silly things and get complacent- especially after a few beers (I know I have). I've never heard of anyone getting taken while they are being careful so that really sums it up - you take a risk, your life is at risk. You might consider washing a bucket over the side of a boat to be low risk but I can say that it is definatly not, especially in a highly used area where them crocs get real cheeky. But I have done way stupider things up there and I got away with it.

Pete

odes20
11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I took the liberty this morning to ring the NT Parks and Wildlife Service. I asked for info as to what the chap was actually doing and the lady said he was washing a bucket leaning over the back of the boat. So that helps us be a bit more informed.

missingdna
11-06-2014, 04:57 PM
time to cull the crocs!!!!

a sustainable,international industry evolved around crocs is there waiting to be developed.......and id like to see native Aussies leading the way.
people would come from around the world.....
managed by people with repect, it would be a sustainable industry....
crocs would again learn to fear the sound of a boat motor.....so every day people would be a tad safer when the croc realise that a tinnie isnt just a john west tuna waiting for them to eat.....

GBC
12-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Another chapter of white people doing stupid shit then blaming Mother Nature. On a world wide scale we are a scourge - chalk one up for the animals and get on with it.

odes20
12-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Bit weird GBC? and as well a lot of people who get eaten by crocs in Aust. are aboriginals. get facts straight. No one is blaming the crocs for being a croc.

GBC
12-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Checked facts running back to 1987. Runs about half aboriginal, half white.
checked threads about needing croc culls - can't find many black fellas in them.
Back to you.

scorpo92
12-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Checked facts running back to 1987. Runs about half aboriginal, half white.
checked threads about needing croc culls - can't find many black fellas in them.
Back to you.

You only checked recorded attacks. A hell of a lot more tribesmen are taken that arent in any records

odes20
12-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Culling makes it safer for humans. Humans are worth more than crocs.

Peter4
13-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Culling makes it safer for humans. Humans are worth more than crocs.

Why is that? We do much more damage to the planet than crocs do and there are far too many of us anyway...

PixieAU
13-06-2014, 08:06 AM
I have to agree with Peter.

We've occupied most of the hospitable parts of the planet, I'm sure we can leave some of the inhospitable places to the critters.

GBC
13-06-2014, 08:06 AM
More blokes die trying to drive there. Shoot the cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SatNav
13-06-2014, 08:59 AM
1. Would be good if those making claims first checked their credentials before making unsubstantiated claims and having a shoot first mentality

2. For the record between 1869 and 7/6/2014 there have been 132 incidents in Australia from Salt Water crocodiles 92 were non fatal, 40 were fatal. There were 11 incidents involving Australian freshwater crocodiles all of which were non fatal. Regradless of colour four times more males have been involved than females.

3. Animals in the 2-4 metre range account for around half (64) of the incidents and 14 of the fatalities

4. Animals in the 4-6 metre range account for 28 of the incidents and 19 of the fatalities which is what might be expected

5. Crocodile attacks are still a very rare event but are increasing as urbanization spreads and ill informed people do absolutely stupid things in known crocodile habit.

6. Unless you can support your claim, suggestion or hearsay then why bother making it? Serves absolutely no purpose in the discussion.

Shark Poker
13-06-2014, 09:25 AM
^^^^^^^ I am not 'qualified' to do so, but I am guessing that the above is the best example of hypocrisy you might ever witness.

shane450
13-06-2014, 10:52 AM
leave the crocs alone

missingdna
13-06-2014, 12:14 PM
i dont look forwards to reading about future fatalities from crocs. but when it does happen, i hope its some of the tree hugging, kumbay-ya singing,never actually been up and seen crocs except in a zoo, that get taken as a snak-pack.

GBC
13-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Checked the records, looks like that is unlikely given the ratio of tree huggers vs locals that currently get smashed.
I've spent enough time working with a pukpuk spotter to have a say, but keep guessing, its entertaining.

odes20
13-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Then volunteer to be culled mate! Or do you think someone else should. Laughable. The croc that sadly got this guy has been culled anyway. Like it or not. Its easy to be full of bluster about leaving them alone, but they are master predators who are too much of a match for forgetful humans. Its not their environment exclusively either, Its fully ours too, and remember not all culling is killing , most so far get sent to farms, but thats prob unsustainable. In the mean time, we have all been reminded that as we go out into ours and their country, we need to be extremely careful.
Also the thread is largely about what we can learn about being safer with them as we cohabit this region. Certainly a wake up call.

QUOTE=Peter4;1552910]Why is that? We do much more damage to the planet than crocs do and there are far too many of us anyway...[/QUOTE]

Peter4
13-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Still don't understand your comment that humans are 'worth more than crocs'...

Says who? Aren't we all God's creatures?

7.2 billion of us and increasing exponentially and unsustainably. Yep, a human 'cull' is long overdue...

scorpo92
13-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Still don't understand your comment that humans are 'worth more than crocs'...

Says who? Aren't we all God's creatures?

7.2 billion of us and increasing exponentially and unsustainably. Yep, a human 'cull' is long overdue...

Cull cull cull

odes20
13-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Its easy. If you want them to be equal, dont ever again eat any living thing. They die, you live. And dont catch fish either, ya cruel bugger! :)

odes20
13-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Qld Gov is culling crocs, and it hard to see it not happening in the Territory.

Red Emperor
14-06-2014, 10:03 AM
The majority of crocs that kill people here in the NT are hunted and shot afterwards, with a few mates. They are culling the crocs. It's up to people, like the last 4 to grow a brain. From memory, 2 were swimming in waterholes, 1 tried to swim across the Mary river on his 21st and this recent one was sadly washing a bucket. Who was in the wrong.. Crocs or people? It's the people! They all knew the hazards.

Sheik
14-06-2014, 04:29 PM
This might help with respect to the original purpose of the post...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2656870/Family-grandfather-taken-boat-crocodile-pay-tribute-fisherman.html

odes20
15-06-2014, 08:47 AM
So the report is seeming to say he was standing at rear of boat emptying a bucket. Im finding it hard for anyone to see this bloke being aligned with the reckless set who have been taken recently. I know the splashing of the water would have been involved in attracting the attack, but this seems a very wilful attack by a pretty nasty croc. Anyone fishing for barra in croc waters is responsible for causing some splashing in the process if fishing and even landing them, this bloke was very unfortunate.
Its certainly sobered me up about how we are going to fish from here on in.

scottar
15-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Yup, one can only assume the croc was already sitting there waiting as it normally wouldn't take too long to wash a bucket. I think it will be a case of keeping all appendages inside the ride at all times, longer handled landing nets and fish being fairly unceremoniously released to sort themselves out.

Sheik
19-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Yep agree Odes. Can't believe there was any silly buggers there. Seems like a very aggressive croc if this report is to be believed.