PDA

View Full Version : Anchor and Chain (free but requires some ingenuity to obtain)

Beard1705
08-06-2014, 08:03 AM
For anyone with a bit if ingenuity (or just plain no sense) there is a large CQR anchor (plough) with about 8m of chain located in about 15-20m of water near northern end of Bulwer ledge.

Fishing with a mate last Saturday and we decided on a shift. After hauling up the anchor (it takes two people give it's size) just as the rope with the nylon chaffer broke the surface we looked down to see the anchor and chain rapidly disappear....looked like the D shackle broke (yes it was done up tight....rusted on tight so it can't have come loose).

Will swap for bottle of your favourite drop if anyone retrieves and has no use for such a bloody big anchor (which is what I have told my mate it is heaps if times...secretly I am happy about it)

Nicko_Cairns
08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Ask a local dive club mate as the St Paul wreck is pretty close and they might pop over and grab it for you for a bottle of plonk.

For anyone with a bit if ingenuity (or just plain no sense) there is a large CQR anchor (plough) with about 8m of chain located in about 15-20m of water near northern end of Bulwer ledge.

Fishing with a mate last Saturday and we decided on a shift. After hauling up the anchor (it takes two people give it's size) just as the rope with the nylon chaffer broke the surface we looked down to see the anchor and chain rapidly disappear....looked like the D shackle broke (yes it was done up tight....rusted on tight so it can't have come loose).

Will swap for bottle of your favourite drop if anyone retrieves and has no use for such a bloody big anchor (which is what I have told my mate it is heaps if times...secretly I am happy about it)

MTAQ/BTAQ
08-06-2014, 01:25 PM
There is also a " mini mountain" of car tyres which makes up part of the Curtin Artificial reef , near Bulwer which is also a grave yard for anchors and chains - whenever I need an anchor I just go there and pick one up - its only 20 meters down!

docaster
09-06-2014, 01:54 PM

Crikey mate, why such a big anchor, if you don't mind me asking?

Beard1705
10-06-2014, 07:18 PM
25 footer....I would have preferred the Xmas tree for reefy areas (plus it's lighter and I'm the anchor winch) but not my boat and skipper preferred big anchor and chain. Ended up having to use the tree with just rope and no chain and held us fine...so lots of lessons learnt.

Crunchy
10-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Knowing my past history fishing there I'll hook it and fight it for 2 hours thinking its a stonker fish, I'll drop it back to ya.

scottar
10-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Knowing my past history fishing there I'll hook it and fight it for 2 hours thinking its a stonker fish, I'll drop it back to ya.

Sounds like you better break out the "big" gear Crunchy.

Crunchy
11-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Would be a good addition to my rock and log

scottar
11-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Got a collection on the pool room wall hey Crunchy. LOL

GBC
12-06-2014, 06:24 AM
You might have the wrong wreck there nicko, the St. Paul is on the other side of moreton.

Tinspo
12-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Beard, I am heading out to the St Paul for a dive on Saturday strangely enough.... will pick it up on the way back for you if the tide hasn't turned. PM if your interested and I will send you my mobile.

Assuming you have solid marks for it...