PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning trailer

Seahorse
07-06-2014, 05:51 AM
I was talking to a guy at the boat ramp last weekend. Nice bloke gave me a few ideas.
but the one that really interested me was, drilling a few holes in your trailer and screw in a hose fitting so u can attach yor hose and flush out inside your trailer.
great idea, but just curious about drilling into gal.
in the back of my mind I thought this did something to the gal if drilled into it.
what are your thoughts.
he seems very confident of it and sakd it would make your trailer last so much longer.

cheers
greg

DAVE_S
07-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Rather than drilling holes and braking the gal just set up a sprinkler system .

gruntahunta
07-06-2014, 07:23 AM
I just stuff the hose up the channels with the nozzle on spray pattern, I don't like the idea of breaking the Gal coating by drilling in it..

scottar
07-06-2014, 08:49 AM
If you get the right size clear plastic hose it will fit tightly into a hose fitting - add a bit of silicone and its there for good. I have installed three of these in the cross members of my trailer using the existing holes and then just cable tied the fittings somewhere convenient. Just clip the hose on for a few minutes and the cross member fills and flushes. I have also made up an electrical conduit with a hose fitting on one end and a 360 degree sprinkler head on the other to wash out the insides of the main trailer beams. Just clip the hose on and push the conduit up the beams a couple of times

NArmstrong
07-06-2014, 09:15 AM
Please excuse my ignorance but does salt water affect gal? I thought that was the point of having a gal trailer is that it protects the metal from corrosion.

Nicko_Cairns
07-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Rather than drilling holes and braking the gal just set up a sprinkler system .

Yeah I agree, a mate had one setup on his trailer using that black irrigation hose as it's rugged and lasts, one hose connection at the front so he just clicked on his hose and turned it on, have been meaning to do the same with my boat.

Sandman
07-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Thats the set up I use although my trailer is not the best example as I didn't buy it new. However when I had my trailer reconditioned I set up a sprinkler system with spray jets along the irrigation pipe aforementioned. Its an easy no fuss effective way of hosing down the trailer simply plug in and give it a few minutes while you unload the boat before you give it a wash down. My routine is to always do the trailer first.
mick

bugsytwoshoes
07-06-2014, 10:42 AM
I can't understand why some people with a small tinny ( up to 5m ) dunk the whole trailer in the water.
My latest boat is a 5m open tinny with 60hp O.B. and I just back it down till the bottoms of the wheels/tyres are submerged and I've never had a problem. Most tinnies need very little depth of water to float. I have never had any issues with any of my boats having undue strain put on the hull due to it being winched onto/off the trailer. It's a different matter on large, heavy boats but with smaller tinnies with a well adjusted trailer why submerge the whole trailer????

ozscott
08-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but does salt water affect gal? I thought that was the point of having a gal trailer is that it protects the metal from corrosion.

No mate. It's sacrificial. If you want it to last wash it. Even better before you leave it salted at the ramp all day.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tunaticer
08-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I built my trailer with drilled gal drainage holes, i simply flood the trailer thorugh those holes.

Si
08-06-2014, 08:58 PM
I can't understand why some people with a small tinny ( up to 5m ) dunk the whole trailer in the water.
My latest boat is a 5m open tinny with 60hp O.B. and I just back it down till the bottoms of the wheels/tyres are submerged and I've never had a problem. Most tinnies need very little depth of water to float. I have never had any issues with any of my boats having undue strain put on the hull due to it being winched onto/off the trailer. It's a different matter on large, heavy boats but with smaller tinnies with a well adjusted trailer why submerge the whole trailer????

Completely agree. Avoid much of the issue with saltwater and corrosion and don't dunk your trailer if you have an tinny. Up to just below the hubs and springs in my 4.5m boat and never had an issue

docaster
09-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Wouldn't it be good if all boat ramps had water available so one could wash the trailer down instead of leaving it out in the sun for a few days full of salt.

Dignity
09-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't it be good if all boat ramps had water available so one could wash the trailer down instead of leaving it out in the sun for a few days full of salt.
Ever since water was hived off to another govt unit e.g. Unity or Urban etc they progressively either removed the taps, reduce the pressure to them or put strange fittings to stop using them (I know it is a small price to buy the item that turns them on) to stop us washing our boats and trailers at the ramp yet they allow the taps and showers to run full bore on the beachs, a little bit of discrimination there.

captain rednut
09-06-2014, 09:32 PM
I have a full sprinkler system on my trailer with a large water tank/pressure pump and automatic timer so i just press the button and walk away and my trailer cops a full on wash every time i launch and i ever wash it while im driving home some nights.
it all costed about $350 all up with a 45 psi pump.

2DKnBJ
10-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Don't know if anyone else does it but when i rebuilt my trailer i went and had the inside rustproofed.
Was at a good price 30 pack gold cans.
If anyone is interested it was done at Brendale.PM me and i will give you contact details.

Cheers Dazza

ozscott
10-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi Captain. Do you want to share specifics of the set up?

Cheers

kiwimex
11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi Captain. Do you want to share specifics of the set up?

Cheers

The system sounds great....! I too would love specifics on the set up!

Cheers

Steve

captain rednut
11-06-2014, 07:49 PM
ill try to get some photos for you but until then the sprinkler hose is just the cheap black thinwall micro irrigation hose 12mm with and least 50 spray nozzles of all angle outlets available that simply put and screw in, i have the hose all through the chassis with droppers on each brake disc/caliper area, and the draw bar end is a male quick connect hose fitting so you can plug in anywhere anytime.
on my truck i have a designated 50 litre alloy tank with a 12v 1/2 inch 45 psi pressure pump wired to a cheap timer set for 3 minutes so i connect the hose and push the button and walk away.
i see people just standing there watching my unoccupied truck washing my trailer and wondering where the water comes from and how it works??
i believe it has extended my service intervals by at least 50% as the corrosion damage is done when the trailer is sitting in the sun for 3 days whilst we are out in the boat.
cheers jim

ozscott
11-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Thanks Mate

scottar
11-06-2014, 08:16 PM
So does it wash the insides of the beams and cross memebers as well Jim or just the outside

Tangles
11-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Another option is go to a hardware store and get a good sized pressure spray pump ( those ones for the garden) which holds 10-15 litres and simply give it a quick wash down after dunking

captain rednut
14-06-2014, 06:00 PM
So does it wash the insides of the beams and cross memebers as well Jim or just the outside
it washs inside and out as i put droppers in every beam and cross member.