PDA

View Full Version : does drag increase through a rod?

Si
06-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Ok, hopefully I can explain this properly. just say you set your drag to your fishing reel (not attached to rod) at 5kgs and you tested via a set of scales and it was spot on five kg before line started coming off the reel (not taking into account stiction). Then say you attached a rod to the reel and threaded the line through the guides. The drag was kept the same. You then tested again with the rod pretty much loaded up as it was a 3-6kg rated rod. Would the drag increase significantly before line started coming off the reel because of the rod? I would expect there would be only be a very slight increase in drag due to friction but not much especially using braid. So generally no, no significant increase in drag. Am I wrong?

robfish 1
06-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Yup. There's a quite measurable increase in drag thru the rod - probably not enough to worry about under normal circumstances, but if you are fishing ultralight, or redlining on heavier line, it's definitely a consideration. I really don't know the formula, and I'm sure someone out there will, but that's why it's imperative to measure the reel drag thru the rod, rather than by itself. When you add up the friction generated by guides - even Sic's, as well as the rod's natural tendency to want to straighten, it increases exponentially.
Give it a try - you may well be surprised!

wayno60
06-06-2014, 09:02 PM
sure does...

PixieAU
06-06-2014, 09:15 PM
And could you also assume that as more line goes out, the weight of that line starts to compensate for that friction and eventually negate it...

scottar
06-06-2014, 09:21 PM
No because as your spool diameter decreases it takes more pressure again to rotate the spool.

cuzzamundi
06-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Yes, there would be more drag, because you not only have the guide friction, but also the spool lessening, like Scottar just mentioned. The drag increase, in terms of the rod causing it, would remain the same, but the drag increase would strengthen the more the spool is emptied. It's actually quite a big difference if you measure the drag pressure on a full spool on say a Tiagra 50, and then again 80 percent to sunset. Wouldn't be anywhere near as much on small gear, but may still be noticeable if you're fishing really fine.

Cuzza

wayno60
07-06-2014, 04:41 PM
stiction
is that even a word??

robfish 1
07-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Friction caused by something sticking = stiction!
LOL.

Si
08-06-2014, 10:42 AM
is that even a word??

Sure is mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/stiction

tunaticer
08-06-2014, 11:01 AM
WIBF never heard of stiction before......that's in the new list for scrabble thanks!!

Back to the point in question......why would you want to be pushing your gear so hard with heavy drags?

Fish tire quickly, keep calm and don't get excited and 90% of the time they will pop up for a net shot reasonably quickly.

lbger
10-06-2014, 02:35 PM
"Back to the point in question......why would you want to be pushing your gear so hard with heavy drags?

Fish tire quickly, keep calm and don't get excited and 90% of the time they will pop up for a net shot reasonably quickly."

tell that to a 50kg plus yellowfin ;)

scottar
10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Or a Jack or Barra in the timber. Sometimes they just have to stopped or the games over with the score card reading the wrong way.

the gecko
25-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Do the experiement and find out. Measure a reel with scales, and then put it on a rod and measure the difference. Id be guessing the friction increase of the runners is only 5-10%, but I could be wrong. Measure it, and then come back and tell us the result.

I do know that you should measure your drag when the reel is on the rod, and set the strain to one third of the lines breaking strain. This is because the wieght of a fish and friction of the line in the water adds two thirds (or double the drag weight) .....if that makes any sense. So for 30lb line, you should set the drag at 10lbs.

cheers
Andrew

Si
25-06-2014, 04:27 PM
WIBF never heard of stiction before......that's in the new list for scrabble thanks!!

Back to the point in question......why would you want to be pushing your gear so hard with heavy drags?

Fish tire quickly, keep calm and don't get excited and 90% of the time they will pop up for a net shot reasonably quickly.

Im not unfortunetly. It was just for academic reasons to ensure the rod was loaded up so it's having a full effect, which is what i was interested in.

banshee
25-06-2014, 11:01 PM
and set the strain to one third of the lines breaking strain. This is because the wieght of a fish and friction of the line in the water adds two thirds (or double the drag weight) ..........

cheers
Andrew

Tend to disagree with the reasoning behind setting the drag at one third.I believe it has more to do with the arbour size decreasing thus causing the drag pressure to increase.For example,A full spool has an OD four inches if you halve the OD you double the amount of force needed to move it at the same setting.Always a good idea to back the drag off a smidge if your down half your line.