PDA

View Full Version : I-Pilot for Quinny 5.3

Fillet`n`Release
02-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Been thinking about putting a Minn Kota IPilot on my Quintrex FreedomSport 5.3 for quite sometime. I've just seen a near exact boat with a MK Riptide ST 80lb 60" 24v and the owner says it holds brilliantly even in strong current.

One thing I need to consider before diving in and buying the motor, is making the necessary changes to the bow rail and getting a mounting plate welded. My boat is pontooned and it's a bit of an ordeal to get it trailered and moved (though if no alternative arises I guess I'll have to bite the bullet).

Does anyone know of a mobile guy that can do that kind of work, cut the bow rails and weld on some curves to tidy it up plus weld on the necessary mounting plate ? Or someone northside (in the Caboolture region would be good) so I don't have to take the boat far. If I can get the mounting plate sorted, I can make space under the bowrider casting platform for the batteries and then I can seriously look at getting the motor.

Thanks.

Spaniard_King
02-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Ally welding requires a 3 phase type welding machine, have you got 3 phase electricity hooked up to your house to run it?

Fillet`n`Release
02-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey Garry,

Actually funny you should mention it I do. However to the best of my knowledge looking around the house there's no outlet (just the aircon hard wired) :( Guess I'll be trailering it after all. Only reason it's a problem is I have a rooted shoulder, makes retrieving my boat solo nigh impossible. Will have to wait for my mate's shift roster to get around to favorable hours. Not that I'm in any sort of huge hurry, it's just a project I'd like to start the ball rolling. It also doesn't help I've found a second hand Minn Kota and I'm trying not to impulse buy until I can be certain I have somewhere to mount it.

Thanks.

Spaniard_King
02-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Yeh, can see it worth pulling the leads on the aircon for the welder:)

not a big job for a well equipped metal fabricator but a mammoth one to do onsite

scottar
02-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm with Gary on this one. You will get a better job at I would guess a far cheaper price in a workshop. A lot of this sort of stuff is bloody difficult to do and get right purely by measurement. If he is running back and forth to his workshop to access benders,folders and the like it would cost a bomb.

tjotter
03-06-2014, 12:55 AM
re looking for a 3 phase outlet, maybe check inside your meter box (outside chance) ?

Fillet`n`Release
03-06-2014, 07:40 AM
We just had solar installed late last year and the contents of our meter box were replaced with a shiny new digital meter. There's nothing else in there. It's all good though I was just hoping to take the path of least resistance, not realizing it'd make the job a whole lot harder :)

chris69
03-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Try Compass alloy boats at 40 cessna drive.

Fillet`n`Release
03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up Chris. Funnily enough I've also found "The Welding Shed" at 3/35 Cessna Drive, so I'll drop in sometime this week and sus them both out. Appreciate it.

DATCOL
05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Hi we can do this modification for you in Caboolture, Marty lives on Bribie So ring him & he can come & have a look & quote the $ cost
Martys No 0427275052 Cheers COL

Fillet`n`Release
06-06-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I've dropped in to Compass Boats at Caboolture just down the road from my place, and it seems like they do this kind of modification every other week ! And it's looking to be more affordable than I expected so gotta be happy with that.

So on the electric motor front, does anyone have any suggestions of a Minn Kota dealer that'll do a really good price ? I've got an array of quotes so far. Kinda kicking myself I didn't get a show special at the Tinnie and Tackle show recently /facepalm.

Fillet`n`Release
23-06-2014, 07:20 PM
So I'm pretty chuffed. Dropped the boat in at Compass on Saturday for a few hours, rails all nicely cut and sorted, and a mounting plate installed for the nominal fee of $120 !

Extremely impressed at the welding proficiency, Ralf is a craftsman and I couldn't speak more highly of the job he's done.

Now it's just down to getting my 24v setup done and dusted, and I can go crazy spotlocking without dropping an anchor.