PDA

View Full Version : What's your catch worth?

Funchy
02-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Something I have been trying to reconcile is what my catch is worth (and when I see others report, eg a big catch of reds off 1770?)
Now I am purely thinking a reasonable market price were you to purchase at a seafood market or such.... There are obviously many "priceless" monents we have out on the water chasing and landing our catch of the day.

I found this seafood market online link (no affiliation etc etc....)
http://www.theonethatgotaway.com.au/products.php?cat=2
(http://www.theonethatgotaway.com.au/products.php?cat=2)
I catch a fair bit of flathead as you may be aware ;-) they are at $44.99 a kg at the monent. So too are snapper fillets and whiting. YFT is $34.99
Be interesting to estimate your catch's value and justify all those new rods, reels, bait tackle, fuel etc etc etc etc.....

Anyone got any better sites to quote fish prices?

rtp1984
02-06-2014, 07:17 AM
What are you doing mate?
you know if the results of the calculation end up in the wrong hands, we will never be allowed out to fish again. They don't call them the minister of war and finance for nothing.

Cheers
Rob

Funchy
02-06-2014, 07:39 AM
What are you doing mate?
you know if the results of the calculation end up in the wrong hands, we will never be allowed out to fish again. They don't call them the minister of war and finance for nothing.

Cheers
Rob

Hhahahaa.... Fair call ..... I am somewhat immune however. The missus packed up and left, I only fish out of a yak now after having had to sell the boat and the flattys have been firing..... Ahhh the simple life.....

Zimkideo
02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
I'm not making a profit :(

scottar
02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
It will depend. I have caught fish that are "worth" several hundred dollars a kilo at times. LOL. Wasn't laughing then though

Crunchy
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Me neither, what's a shark and two undersized snapper worth?

scottar
02-06-2014, 09:47 AM
That depends. If the flake came in an economy sized package.LOL. I had a parrot once that cost a drive to Mooloolaba from Brissy Southside, a 40k round trip in the boat @ 600m/litre, a drive back from Mooloolaba, a drive to my local ramp the following morning and another 110 litres in the boat plus $80.00 spent on ice and bait. He was pretty tasty though::)

Louis
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
I have to admit that for myself, it is much cheaper to buy the fish than to catch them.

L

scottar
02-06-2014, 01:01 PM
I have to admit that for myself, it is much cheaper to buy the fish than to catch them.

L

You NEVER admit to that Louis. Certainly not in my house anyway.If you start that sort of carry on, next thing you know there is talk of boats and fishing gear being sold and new lounges and overseas holidays. Far better you repress those sort of sentiments to the point it will cost more with the shrink to get them back than it does for the fish.;D

Moonlighter
02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I think the studies have already been done that clearly show that the price/kg of recreationally caught fish far exceeds what it would cost to go to the local fish shop and buy it.

But of course, that is based on overall figures and includes the hopeless once a year anglers at one end of the scale, and the accomplished "top 20%" anglers at the other end. You know the rule: 20% of the anglers catch 80% of the fish".

I think the top 20% might fare a whole lot better when it comes to the calculations.

But in any case, as you say, the "value" is quite a different question to the "cost". Going fishing and out in the boat keeps me (relatively) sane, happy, allows me to bond with my lads, keeps friendships alive, puts some of the adventure spirit back in, and keeps me away from other far more damaging possible vices. Most of the time, at least!

Its unbeatable value for me and my family for that reason alone!

Plus, as has already been pointed out, how much it costs is a "need to know" question, and she doesnt!

Louis
02-06-2014, 01:55 PM
You NEVER admit to that Louis. Certainly not in my house anyway.If you start that sort of carry on, next thing you know there is talk of boats and fishing gear being sold and new lounges and overseas holidays. Far better you repress those sort of sentiments to the point it will cost more with the shrink to get them back than it does for the fish.;D

I like the way you think.

L

Mike Delisser
02-06-2014, 02:17 PM
Interesting question Funchy
My way of thinking is.....I put up with a lot to earn my money and my spare time, and I don't go to work each day for the fun of it, so I never feel like I have to "justify" any fishing tackle purchase or time on the water with a cost analysis.

If I did work it all out I'd probably say on my last trip in the saltwater I released about $300 worth of fish and kept about $20 worth of fish. That's could be a good reason not to do the sums and just value the memories.

Mike Delisser
02-06-2014, 02:22 PM
What are you doing mate?

Cheers
Rob

One of my biggest fears is that after I die, my wife will sell all my fishing gear for roughly what I told her I paid for it.

Noelm
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
$44.99 a KG for Flathead... you kidding? I can get fresh Flathead tails for less than a third that price. I guess if you take everything into account, buying the boat, fuel and bait, the car to tow it and so on, it would be impossible to get anywhere near breaking even, but then, the actual value of the fish caught is not what its all about (in my opinion)

Sheik
02-06-2014, 02:42 PM
I know exactly how much my catch from the weekend was worth. And I'm not telling...

Moonlighter
02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
We eat fresh fish, calamari and crabs pretty regularly in my house. Its quite rare when i don't have some fillets in the freezer ready for a feed. Down to the last whole fish at the moment, but anyway....

My eldest son, who is 24 came to Aussie Seafoods a while ago with me when I dropped buy to get some cheap mullet fillets for bait. He hadn't been in there for some years.

While i was lined up he was looking at the whole fish and fillets...... Then as we left he said to me, "bloody hell, a small just legal snapper for $35 each!??! We must have easily eaten $200 worth the other night ....! And what would that big one you got have cost?!!!".

I doubt whether any of us on Ausfish would eat anywhere the amount of seafood we do were it not for catching our own.

it would be hard to justify the expense?! Strange, but true. Spend lots of money on boat, bait and fuel, but not on buying fresh seafood. Weird, hey!

Here's a thought: Can you EVER see yourself going into a seafood shop and walking out with a 180 liter esky full of prime reef fish?

and even if you did, would it taste as good and fresh as ones you've caught yourself?

Back In Black
02-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Mines PRICELESS...................

Dignity
02-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Hhahahaa.... Fair call ..... I am somewhat immune however. The missus packed up and left, I only fish out of a yak now after having had to sell the boat and the flattys have been firing..... Ahhh the simple life.....
My catch so far I think is about $2500.00 a kg and worth every cent.
I was hoping to get out this afternoon and caught up with you but my mates fence had to come down due to new one going up, so a little stuffed after 2 days of ripping up old crap and didn't go out.

Lovey80
02-06-2014, 04:46 PM
I recon as I slowly approach that top 20% mark each year my cost per Kg must be slowly getting towards the $2000/kg mark lol.

I think that will be one of my goals for 2015. Get an accounting ledger and record every part of my boating costs for my offshore boat over the year and document the catches on the 'revenue' side of the ledger. Will be interesting to see the outcome at the end of the year.

Would be great if I could get a few others to do so and compare the results around Christmas next year.

Dignity
02-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I recon as I slowly approach that top 20% mark each year my cost per Kg must be slowly getting towards the $2000/kg mark lol.

I think that will be one of my goals for 2015. Get an accounting ledger and record every part of my boating costs for my offshore boat over the year and document the catches on the 'revenue' side of the ledger. Will be interesting to see the outcome at the end of the year.

Would be great if I could get a few others to do so and compare the results around Christmas next year.

Don't even think of it or else you will start selling those old rods, reels etc you have stored and never go fishing again. There is more to it than just catching the fish regardless of cost, my niece will not eat fish from any store or restaurant anymore after she tried mine. I think we generally look after our fish better and ice them down and take greater care than any commercial operation and this makes all the difference.

It's called 'Added Value" which is why is so expensive

sparkyice
02-06-2014, 10:28 PM
about once a year or so i go out on a party boat out of glouster, mass. (i live in the u.s.). on a good 12 hour trip offshore i can bring home 10-15 kg of cod, haddock, hake, filets. at market, that would cost about $20-$30 kg, making the take worth $200-$300 or so. on a good trip.
the boat ride is $85, motel about the same (couple guys per room), plus 600 miles of gas in a ute.
you can break even on a trip.
the mates will filet your catch for you, but after a 12 hour trip, they've been busting thie back for 14 and have a few hundred fish to process on the way in so, well, they handle them pretty roughly. i now gut and gill my own fish as i catch them and put them on ice to filet at home. a much nicer product if i do say so myself.
that being said, fishing out of my tinnie on local lakes and rivers is pretty expensive if i tried to calculate the worth of my catch. but, like so many have said, you can't put a price on the experiance. i prefer not to know what it might really cost in hard earned dollars.
just before sunrise on an early summer morning, mist rising off the glass smooth water, birds singing, fish rising, water birds doing their water bird things... priceless!

RayLamp
02-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't often bring back this many, but last weekends trip got me 10 flathead.

Based on 44$ a kilo...

250grams of filleted flathead per fish... (i know some were cooked whole by the neighbours, but lets not get too technical)

thats 2.5kg - $88

Thats being conservative.

The ute would have used $50 of diesel. The boat.. stuff all - maybe $10. All tackle and gear already on boat.

So I am ahead a little :)

But you cant put a price on the health benefits of being out there on the water :)

Dignity
03-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Ray, you are broke (but happily so) as you forgot to add in depreciation and maintenance costs, in a business this is what makes it or breaks it. I still look at it from what price can you put on the joy of just being out there enjoyingthe surroundings and the company if you have it and of course the fishing. The old saying of a days fishing beats any day at work is still valid:)

no chicken tonight
03-06-2014, 09:12 AM
What a stupid thread. Why dont you buy a handline and sit on a jetty, or just go rent a movie!
Sorry to offend, but it needed to be said.

RayLamp
03-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Ah, but you see I thought about depreciation. I owe nothing on the boat. And here is the killer - it has a Yamaha on the back. Therefore, it is an appreciating classic :D

Landlines on a jetty? Landlines, now there is depreciation if I ever saw it!

This thread is very useful. You can take on board a lot of comebacks if you are ever asked by someone "is it worth it?" :)

Only commercial fishos would potentially take this seriously.

Funchy
03-06-2014, 10:02 AM
What a stupid thread. Why dont you buy a handline and sit on a jetty, or just go rent a movie!

it makes no difference to whether or not I go fishing. Read the OP. It is curiousity only. Like you say go fishing regardless of whetther you can afford all the flash stuff or a hand line on a jetty. This was just trying to understand the price of seafood if you were to buy it rather than catch it. Not to justify if it's worth going.

Chill dude, go fishing hahahhaaaaa :-D

kaspa2009
03-06-2014, 11:25 AM

I think you missed the point or you are just fishing for a bite.

lbger
03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
"Sorry to offend, but it needed to be said."

Didnt offend..... Didnt need to be said.....

The thing that needed to be said here is for gods sake don't let our wives see this thread lol

Dignity
03-06-2014, 03:29 PM

DOH! Bugger I have to add more as 4 characters is too short to post a message, all I want'd to say was DOH!

theoldlegend
03-06-2014, 05:24 PM
How much would you put on grinner fillets?

TOL

scottar
03-06-2014, 05:35 PM
you forgot to add in depreciation and maintenance costsand of course the fishing. The old saying of a

These fall under a whole different clause - The - He who dies with the most toys wins.

littlejim
03-06-2014, 06:02 PM
The beauty of catching your own is you know exactly how fresh it is.
Fresh fish tastes completely different to bought fish.

BrisManny
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I'm not making a profit :(

But were eating fish and salad tonight Zimmo ;D

It's worth it!

Cheers,
Shane

Louis
03-06-2014, 07:27 PM

It didn't need to be said like one of our fellow anglers stated.

And further more you are a rude individual.

We are all anglers here and we should be 'Brothers in Arms' as a result.

L

Sandman
03-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Would have to classify myself as Not for profit and I don't think I would change it love being out there.

sea-rash
03-06-2014, 10:27 PM

I see he is being slammed for his delivery but his point is possibly valid. If we are fishing for a "return" on investment we/you are kidding ourselves. Pro fisherman find that difficult enough and as for let's compare at the end of the year! Well who has the biggest Dong? give me a break!

Rob

Funchy
04-06-2014, 05:49 AM
DOH! Bugger I have to add more as 4 characters is too short to post a message, all I want'd to say was DOH!

Here's a tip. Next time type DOH! and then have four fullstops. That'll do it :D

Funchy
04-06-2014, 05:56 AM
I see he is being slammed for his delivery but his point is possibly valid. If we are fishing for a "return" on investment we/you are kidding ourselves. Pro fisherman find that difficult enough and as for let's compare at the end of the year! Well who has the biggest Dong? give me a break!

Rob

Fair enough. I suppose I didnt write my post well enough. All I was trying to understand is .... If I were to buy the fish I catch and eat, how much would the market price be for it?

Thats it!! I am not asking if I should go fishing or just stay home cos it's not worth it. I will go fishing every chance I can get! And yes even if that means a hand line on a jetty. AND GUESS WHAT...... It would be interesting to know how much bream fillets were going for should I catch any on said jetty with a hand line.

Shark Poker
04-06-2014, 06:17 AM
Funchy can you go back to throwing plastics at fish Please?

Dignity
04-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Here's a tip. Next time type DOH! and then have four fullstops. That'll do it :D
But at least I got to say DOH! twice in the one post

Louis
04-06-2014, 10:05 AM
The Simpsons is a great show.

Matthias
04-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Its definatly something I've thought about at times. I don't fish as much as I used to and we buy salmon quite alot. I don't bother buying any other fish as I'm never happy with the freshness. It's hard to put a price on really fresh, self caught fish.

Bang for your buck aorund this area I'd say beach fishing is by far the best- especially if you catch your own bait. Or landbased fishing for bream or luderick.

cheers

Scalem
04-06-2014, 07:03 PM
But we are not comparing apples with apples. My minister for war and finance encourages me to go boating/ fishing because she knows the value of the amount of relaxation and therapy I get from doing so, while she books p&o cruises peppered with retail therapy with the daughters which happens at least twice a week + grocery shopping. So I don't care if I catch a few fish or not, the value is not in meat farming but the other things fishing does for me and the crew that come along. We generally come home with a feed anyhow. Prawns however... Need a much smaller boat to make that economic enough, and the risk of throwing your net over an old crab pot or barnacle encrusted rock seems like madness to me these days. Fish monger is far better choice there for me.

Scalem

Funchy
04-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Funchy can you go back to throwing plastics at fish Please?

Yeah, started something here I didn't intend too :-)

ShaneC84
04-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Funchy, if you did want to head out in a boat in the passage i've got a tinny, I'm on the top end of the passage also and work 4 weeks on 4 off so a fair bit of free time juggled around the Mrs work schedule just started 4 weeks off so let me know :) Judging by your reports i'm sure you could teach me a thing or two as well!!

wayno60
05-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Funny how, well i know i wouldnt, spend $50/$60 on fish at the local seafood shop but will put $40 fuel in the boat, $30 fuel in the 4b, Bait if needed, food, Drinks plus plus, and be happy if i come home with a feed of bream.

I think for me just being out on the water and a bit of me time is worth it, a feed is a bonus

Dignity
06-06-2014, 08:55 AM
What is $150 divided to zero work out to???

lbger
06-06-2014, 09:54 AM
It was a good thread i just think some people got the wrong idea about its intention, It was never about the economic value of not goig fishing and just buying the fish. It was more a curiosity comparing the monetary value of fillets you catch. I fished a lot of LBG years ago and would sometimes sit at a ledge with a few thousand dollars worth of gear and not get a run in 10 trips.. Still never ever ever dampened the excitement of the next trip...

NAGG
06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
If it wasn't for some good crabbing - I'd be in deep trouble

but then again - I dont think I've kept a fish on the new boat ....... so I guess I cant do a calculation ;)

Chris