PDA

View Full Version : To double pin or not.

tropicrows
27-05-2014, 04:30 PM
When trolling livies with a stinger hook.
Do you put the trolling hook through the lower and upper jaws of the fish or just one jaw. What method enables the fish to last longer.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Moonlighter
27-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Bruce, a few years ago I did an advanced offshore fishing course with Bill Coreton. Bill showed ushow he pinned livies, and been doing it that way since.

Prize open their mouths and put the hook up thru the hard part of the roof of the mouth. The shaft therefore comes out of the mouth.

Found this works well and livies stay, well, alive!

tropicrows
27-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes, I heard if you pin them through lower and upper jaws they can't breathe as good and don't last nearly as long.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Noelm
27-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Top only or they will die, been trolling everything from Yakkas to 6kg Stripies for decades, snd always top lip only, or thread through the eye sockets.

Jeremy
28-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Through the nose cartilage works well (i.e. sideways) or bridle rig them with a rubber band through the eye sockets

scottar
28-05-2014, 07:56 PM
If I am trolling for macs now I have done away with the front hook all together. Rubber band through the cartilage with a bait needle straight to a clip swivel. The baits certainly seem to last longer without the extra hardware upseting their balance.

tropicrows
29-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Scottar, do you still use the treble hook or just use a single hook down by the tail then.

scottar
29-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Predominantly still the treble but I cable tie it on so it sits with one point either side of the bait and one vertically. The beauty of doing it this way is that it doesnt matter if the short wire is slightly too long- it won't try to turn the hook out to one side. The rig is a bit fiddly to set up but seems to work. I have started trialing a single used in the same manner but didn't get enough trips in this year to come up with any real opinion one way or the other.