PDA

View Full Version : New lable

gr hilly
26-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I have been told by a mate you have to have a( life jackets here )now where you store your jackets is that right guys .
cheers Hilly

ozynorts
26-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Yep it's right mate.
Here is part of what the rules state.
Stowage of life jackets
Stowage requirements for life jackets have also changed. Now, boat owners or skippers must give each person on board information about where the safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where life jackets are stowed. The labels must have the words 'life jacket' in red text on a white background or white text on a red background.
“Size of the sign will be determined by the location of the life jackets and space available for the sign on each specific boat.
“The only requirement is that the sign be either red letters on a white background or white letters on a red background and that the sign is easily seen by everyone on board.”
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/safety/life-jackets.aspx

Shawn 66
26-05-2014, 10:01 AM
I have been told by a mate you have to have a( life jackets here )now where you store your jackets is that right guys .
cheers Hilly
Short answer is yes .
Shawn

Noelm
26-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Going to bring in the same law in NSW very soon, mind you, I can't believe in this day and age that rules vary from state to state.

Fed
26-05-2014, 11:34 AM
It's already here Noelm.

Lifejacket Carriage
It is a legal requirement that most recreational vessels in NSW must carry an appropriate size and type of lifejacket for each person on board. They must be stored or placed to allow quick and easy access. Lifejackets must be either visible to passengers, or their location clearly marked by an unobstructed and clearly visible sign saying LIFEJACKETS (red lettering on a white background or white lettering on a red background).

Moonlighter
26-05-2014, 11:49 AM
It is the most retarded law I have ever heard - the bit about the sign. The bit about skippers breifing crew is just common sense and is already covered by the general safety obligation.

it was an over-reaction to a coroners inquest where some dumb-ass coroner who had no idea about recreational boating has tried to apply commercial boating principles to a recreational boating situation. Completely over the top and will not save one life.

Can you imagine, a 4m tinny gets swamped and the crew are supposed to find the likejackets by reference to a 50mm long sign??!! What garbage.

The nanny state stikes yet again.

Rant over.

Fed
26-05-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm OK with it.

Noelm
26-05-2014, 12:48 PM
It's already here Noelm.
Well there you go, I am a law breaker and didn't even know it, I guess I could leave the hatch open where the jackets are and all would be good? but just to be all covered in case I get checked one day, I will buy one this week, well two actually!