PDA

View Full Version : Installing Minn Kota Quick release Bracket on a bow mount plate.

macca
23-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi Folks

Long time since my last post, I have just bought a new boat with a bow mount plate. I have the Minn Kota bow mount motor and I was advised by the MK dealer to use the MK Quick Release Bracket. This is the newer bracket that has two pieces made of some diecut plastic board where the smaller block is mounted on the bow mount plate and the outside plate on the MK. So all going well until the smaller plate needs to be drilled as per the template so it can be fastened to the boat. Three of the bolts and nuts are fine and will be going through that plate but the inside front boat is in no mans land, meaning its going to be right on top of the combing or edge of the boat..so thinking instead of bolting through, use a 12 g countersunk SS screw here and self tap it into the top of the boat rather than risk the chance of either drilling through the side of the hull or in no mans land.. So hold it down with the normal 3 bolts and nuts and a self taper with heaps of goop...what do you fellas reckon, sounds OK?

Cheers

Si
23-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Mine was really close also. It was in the gunwale rail but I had a factory plate which meant on the top it was fine but came through right on the gunwale rail through the bottom. I initially thought it was going to go through hull but in the end was fine. Hardest part was getting a tool in there to hold the nut. I drilled a very small pilot drill hole to determine exactly where the bolt was going to come out before I drilled to same dia of the bolt. Easy fix and above waterline if wrong spot. Mine was just fine to use the bolt and be able to tighten. I think a screw would be fine. I would use duralac on all bolts and screw.

aussiebasser
23-05-2014, 09:46 PM
It'll work Sel on a tinnie Sel. Bit risky on A glass boat.