PDA

View Full Version : engine hours v time - and warranty

bar raider
23-05-2014, 07:22 PM
fitting out the boat this weekend and realised I've owned the thing for a year,

anyway ive only done about 15 hours over handful of trips , first child and first home loan are to blame, oh and lazyness :P but haven't had the first service yet (going to asap) and it sucks to think im probably (definitely) NOT covered by warranty.

do they have any leniency? yam f60. is it dealer discretion ?

What if you have a trip and then put it away for winter? surely they have no legit reason to not support their product then?

i am an very low user and my last boat had 180 hours in 10 years!!!

expensive boating if you had to do a 350$ service every 8 - 10 trips.

what are your thoughts??

cheers

kiwimex
23-05-2014, 07:38 PM
You still might be covered under your warranty! pay to check up, at the end of the day you have only done 15hrs..... first service is due at 20hrs...!

bar raider
23-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Yeah but I think the wording goes 20 hrs or 3 months whichever comes first, same with 100 hr 12 months,

But it is a yammy so I don't expect any dramas :)

oldie
23-05-2014, 08:03 PM
i may be wrong but there is atleast a guaranteed amount of warranty regardless, the services side of things affects the extended warranty part maybe? I.e 2+2 warranty 2 years guaranteed 2 years extended if serviced as per manufacturer requirements, though i may be wrong

kiwimex
23-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah but I think the wording goes 20 hrs or 3 months whichever comes first, same with 100 hr 12 months,

But it is a yammy so I don't expect any dramas :)

My understanding is you do not need to have your servicing / maintenance carried out by a Yamaha dealer to maintain your warranty. You can complete your own servicing and maintain your own records of servicing. To receive the Yamaha extended warranty you must complete all servicing through an authorised Yamaha dealer!

Only actual repairs to your engine when something breaks etc, need to be carried out by an authorised Yamaha dealer to maintain your warranty (this is how it reads in my yamaha engine owners manual)

That said Yamaha cannot prove otherwise if you have completed the service or not..!

I would just have your yearly or 100 hr service completed and enjoy your boating.