PDA

View Full Version : Blueline Rocket Launchers

ozynorts
22-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Looking for some users of these rocket launchers. They are the ones sold at BCF. I know they won't be the best quality but at the moment I don't have funds for a new bimini launcher combo.
Want it so that I can get some more rod storage and to be able to relocate my all round white light up there. Would also like to relocate my vhf antenna up higher also.
Any one used them and how have they held up?

scottar
22-05-2014, 09:23 PM
No personal experience but I can tell you I wouldn't be putting any heavy/expensive gear on one. Even stainless ones fall apart with a bit of weight if not built properly. I know of one boatbuilder who had his launcher design beefed up courtesy of a $600 outfit abandoning ship some years back. Probably be ok for storage while fishing and when nice and flat but if it gets rough I'd be bringing the gear down.

Nslfishing
22-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Just put some on my boat mate. I made a small plate on top for white light and a plate on both sides for VHF and am/fm antenna. There very sturdy. I'll take some pics if you like. One thing I want to change though is I have the rod holders mounted on the bottom side but when I get the motivation I'm going to mount them topside so the rods sit on a more verticals angle. Easy as to install.

Cheers Nic

Nslfishing
22-05-2014, 09:28 PM
I've strapped across the bay and offshore in decent chop and haven't lost a rod yet. Although in saying that I have a small occy strap holding in the fin nor though (just in case)

ozynorts
22-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Just put some on my boat mate. I made a small plate on top for white light and a plate on both sides for VHF and am/fm antenna. There very sturdy. I'll take some pics if you like. One thing I want to change though is I have the rod holders mounted on the bottom side but when I get the motivation I'm going to mount them topside so the rods sit on a more verticals angle. Easy as to install.

Cheers Nic

Hey Nic
some pics would be great, especially of the plates you have added.
Cheers

scottar
22-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Just keep a close eye on where the holders attach to the pipework for any signs of fatigue. Like I say probably ok for lighter stuff but with a decent heavy setup costing upwards of $500 why take chances.

Nslfishing
22-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Sorry it's dark out I'll take some better ones on the weekend during the day. I used some stainless checker plate from bunnings

Nslfishing
22-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Damn. They're upside down

ill post better ones on Saturday

Nslfishing
22-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Another thing, I've seen old stock that still come with plastic rodholders. The new design comes with cast alloy rod holders and the price is the same. So make sure you get the metal

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Sorry it's dark out I'll take some better ones on the weekend during the day. I used some stainless checker plate from bunnings

Have you got some sort of backing plate behind the one for the antenna?

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Just keep a close eye on where the holders attach to the pipework for any signs of fatigue..
Good point there mate.

Like I say probably ok for lighter stuff but with a decent heavy setup costing upwards of $500 why take chances.

No heavy $500 dollar setup but I do get your point.

Noelm
23-05-2014, 09:46 AM
They are OK, but only just OK, good for storage when fishing, but traveling any distance will see them fail pretty quick, there is a couple of weak points, the silly plastic thing that holds them to the deck, the pipe/tube is mega thin, rivets pull through very easy, and it will bend if someone is using it as a hand hold, and you hit a wave and they "swing" on it.

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Sure, you could spend more than $1000 for something ya fat mates can swing off but for less than $200 bucks you can't go wrong IMO haha

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Are we all on the same page here? This is the one I'm talking about
http://www.biasboating.com.au/Boat_Arch_Rocket_Launcher_p/6322.htm

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 12:16 PM
This was the one I was referring to, http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Blueline-Rod-Holder-Rack-1-5-1-7m.aspx?pid=164837&menuFrom=571484#Cross
but I was also looking at the one at BIAS. You have the BIAS one then Nsl?

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah mate the bias one. Not sure about them bcf ones.

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 12:25 PM
Those attach to the boat don't they? The BCF ones attach to your current bimini.

Noelm
23-05-2014, 12:33 PM
There is 2 models, one that is kind of free standing, and one that attaches to your existing structure (bimini)

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 12:47 PM
Yep I am not sure whether to try them or not. Just found the Blueline one online for $60.....

stevej
23-05-2014, 01:21 PM
followed a boat home last weekend with one fitted
nothing in the holders and it was wobbling like a wet noodle

Noelm
23-05-2014, 01:25 PM
$60 is pretty cheap, as long as it doesn't fall on your head, or all your gear goes over board, it is worth a shot at that price. I don't think the brand makes a difference, they all seem to be the same, just packaged for different markets/retailers.

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Yep bolted onto the boat. I'll post pics shortly

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 01:40 PM
followed a boat home last weekend with one fitted
nothing in the holders and it was wobbling like a wet noodle

I had the older style ones with the plastic rodholders and it was riveted. And yeah it wobbled like a wet noodle. The newer model withe the alloy rod holders is heaps stronger. And is screwed together. Also the rodholders sleeve over the frame adding to stability.

Shark Poker
23-05-2014, 03:20 PM

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Not sure on the exact figure mate but if it was well made and not too exxy it would be good. Those are all around $150 to $180 and that is probably what people would expect. I would assume that welded they would cost more to make perhaps. I would be keen to see one and go from there.

ozynorts
23-05-2014, 04:56 PM
My primary reason for looking at these I want to put my all round light up at the back of the Bimini and I want my VHF antenna up high also. The bonus for me is the extra rod storage.

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I was quoted $2200 for a stainless one with 8 rod holders plates on both sides for antenna,plate on top for white light, plates on top corners to mount spotties/work lights. And 4 month wait. So if you could beat that I would be interested Pauly.

Cheers nic

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 07:08 PM
so here's those pics. note i have the fixed mounted arch style

Casey Ison
23-05-2014, 08:51 PM
hi mate I had a set of these on my cruisecraft.. nearly lost a couple of rods crossing wide bay bar a few times... welds all snapped and yeah I wasn't a happy customer.. haha only about 5 - 6 trips old I threw them away.

EDIT- I had the same ones as the bloke above. alloy holders and all screwed together it was the welds that hold the holder to the sleeve that all snapped on mine....

cheers.

Shark Poker
23-05-2014, 08:58 PM

scottar
23-05-2014, 09:03 PM
hi mate I had a set of these on my cruisecraft.. nearly lost a couple of rods crossing wide bay bar a few times... welds all snapped and yeah I wasn't a happy customer.. haha only about 5 - 6 trips old I threw them away.

EDIT- I had the same ones as the bloke above. alloy holders and all screwed together it was the welds that hold the holder to the sleeve that all snapped on mine....

cheers.

Must be a Cruisecraft thing:-X

Nslfishing
23-05-2014, 09:29 PM

cheers.

i'll be having a good look at mine in the morning, thanks mate.