PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Winch

gloverpcg
21-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi
Have just purchased a Signature 740F with a 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. My deckie (wife) now wants an anchor winch. Has anyone had any experience with the LoneStar G3600D.
cheers

Dignity
21-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Looks nice but I notice it doesn't mention a free fall capability, it is one thing I didn't think I would ever need but now wish I had even when I used to go to South Straddie, trying to manouvre the boat backwards while deploying the winch in a running tide is not fun. I have a winch which doesn't have freefall and when I find a suitable replacement it will be coming out.

scottar
21-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Agree with that Dignity. My winch is just the gypsy type and in any more than a few metres of water it is a PITA. So painfully slow. I'm not about to rip it out for the sake of it but when it does die a free fall drum winch is going in.

Grand_Marlin
21-05-2014, 09:29 PM
You get what you pay for with winches.
If you look for Muir, Maxwell, Lewmar or Stress Free you will be amongst the better brands.

ozscott
22-05-2014, 05:08 AM
I have found the Maxwell HR6 FF to be fantastic. 12.5kg and 600w motor. It can with the slide of a lever be changed from motor out to free fall. Clever design. I.did a lot of research into Lewmar etc. I ha e a mate with a Lewmar sport fish....

http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_hrc.php?dimensions

Cheers

Dignity
22-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Oh, I forgot, using the Deckie as an excuse allows you to spend a little more and get the best.

gloverpcg
22-05-2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks Dignity
After talking to the guys at Keogh's Marine and Tackleworld thought that an extra $1000 for freefall model was not warranted since the Lonestar will payout at approx 100ft per minute. My biggest problem is beefing up the anchor well to hold the weight of the boat when anchored.
Please excuse the typo in my original post. Boat is a 540F.

Aussie123
22-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Check out the Viper Pro Series 800 Electric Drum Anchor Winch.
They have a payout speed of 50 meters per minute and come in a full installation kit including rope and chain.
The wiring loom is extra though and the manufacturer will custom make a loom to suit your boat.

scottar
22-05-2014, 11:46 AM
It will all depend on what sort of anchoring you want to do. 100 ft/min means in 60 metres you have to hold the boat exactly where you want it for two minutes. Doesn't sound like much but try it - it's a LONG time especially when you are watching your gps, driving the boat, looking at orientation into a sea, watching your sounder and pressing the button on the winch control. If you are sticking to shallow water in areas with very little current and wave action you might be ok but if you like to fish deep and on smallish structure, I suspect you may regret the choice.

docaster
22-05-2014, 12:58 PM
I went with Micks winch, it had the most spool capacity at the time for me. I would pay the extra for freefall next time. A minute is a long time when trying to hold position.

brett62
22-05-2014, 01:39 PM
I have a Lewmar V700 windlass installed and it has free fall. Had no problems with it. I don't leave the winch taking the weight at anchor, always tie off on the bollard.

Dignity
23-05-2014, 01:44 PM
I think the verdict is in for a freefall winch, look at some of the others around as $1000 extra seems to be highway robbery.

stue2
24-05-2014, 10:36 AM
You will regret a wind down model.
Stress free, Micks winch etc. All have websites with photos of fitted winches and will know what is required for your boat.
Cheers
Stu