PDA

View Full Version : Running in new motor

Seahorse
19-05-2014, 06:52 PM
What is the run in procedure for a new 50hp yamaha 4 stroke.

cheers

kiwimex
19-05-2014, 07:13 PM
There should be details inside your manual you got with the engine? I have recently run in a Yammy 150hp 4 stroke and I did the following as per the manual supplied with my engine, yours maybe different so best to check your manual, or search on the internet for further information.

1) 1st hour of operation, I ran the engine at varying speeds upto 2000 rpm or about half throttle.

2) 2nd hour of operation, increase engine speed as needed to put your boat on a plane (but avoid full throttle) then back off on the throttle and keep the boat at planing speed.

3) For the remaining 8 hours, run the engine at any speed, avoid running the engine at full throttle for more than 5 mins.

4) After 10 hours run the engine as normal.

I also replaced my engine and gear oil at 20 hours (very important to complete this)

Good luck and enjoy your Yamaha

Steve

wayno60
19-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Yep[, i did what kmex did...

Shawn 66
20-05-2014, 05:40 AM
Yep , same as the boys above .
Shawn

stevemid
20-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Same as above, however when the installers do the prop test, they all run then WOT to see what RPM they achieve.

scottar
20-05-2014, 09:32 AM
I have been a long time believer that run in procedures are more about damage minimisation for the manufacturer should something go wrong than it being good for the motor. You hear so many variations from "drive it like Miss Daisy" right through to "Drive it like you stole it". Ultimately though it's the manufacturer that is going to decline your warranty if they check the computer and it tells them you have been a naughty boy so follow their guidelines.

Moonlighter
20-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Yeah, i agree scottar.

New motor, why anyone would contemplate for even a moment doing anything other than what the engine manufacturer (manual) or dealer tells you to do is kinda beyond me.

New motors come with a owners manual that tells you pretty clearly what the required run-in procedure is. What anyone else tells you is totally irrelevant. Not criticising anyone in this thread who has offered help, of course. Everyone is trying to help.

But, its not their $8K that is at risk if the engine blows up and the computer readout says the wrong things, is it?

Best advice to the OP = read your owners manual and do whatever it says. If in any doubt, ring your dealer and ask them for clarification.

sowden1942
20-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi. I have just bought a brand new 40hp 4 stroke yamaha and the dealer advised me to run it in,
10hrs under 2000 rev's fluctuating
10hrs just enough rev's to get it on the plain but fluctuate
10 hrs using what ever speed except full throttle but again fluctuating
Then take it in for a service at 30hrs or 3 months which ever comes first.
After reading your scenario mine sounds to be greatl;y inexcess.
Could someone put me straight with the run in.
Sorry to jump in on your blog. John
Delete reference to my blog a checked of the manual shows the same as all the above times
1 hr under 2000 rev's. 1hr on the plane and 8hrs any rev's except full thottle for no more than 5min at a time.
Thanks John

Seahorse
20-05-2014, 07:48 PM
Sowden
urs does sound very excessive after reading the other guys. I just cant remember my last motor run in but it wasnt all ur hrs. That would take 6 months or more