PDA

View Full Version : Import Boat Trailer

fmcclatchy
19-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi I have a new boat and trailer coming over from the USA in about 6 weeks and I need the trailer to comply to Australian standards.
Can any one suggest a good trailer shop preferably close to the Brisbane port that can do this?
Any help would be much appreciated

tropicrows
19-05-2014, 02:45 PM
No I don't, can help sorry. If its new however why didn't you get it built to Aust specs over there.

sent using TapTalk

scottar
19-05-2014, 03:09 PM
Have you organised your permit yet. Don't know if it still the same but my old boss did this a while back and a permit was required. If you didn't have it they wouldn't release the trailer from the wharf and were going to charge some ridiculous amount to store it. The permit took a certain number of days for approval and when you rang them the recording basically said if you annoy us you will go to the bottom of the list.

fisho64
19-05-2014, 05:15 PM
as above, do you have an agent handling this for you?
Its not hard to do without one but getting the trailer to comply is something you needed to be on top of LONG ago.
If it arrives and the chassis/axles are overwidth (as opposed to just guards etc), it could be pretty much scrap.
Worst still you could be paying for it to be shipped back or destroyed, plus they say that the whole shipment stays together-boat and all.
Now I havent heard of anyones being destroyed but certainly there have been many stuck on the dock at a couple of hundred a day waiting for the Vehicle Import Permit to be processed by some Canberra shiny bum with a chip on his shoulder

Red Emperor
19-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Normally when importing a trailer from America they usually can make it comply to Aus standards before shipping as it can be a total head f... When it gets here. I know of one bloke who had to fork out thousands whilst it was being held at dock.

Noelm
19-05-2014, 06:38 PM
As a general rule, if it doesn't comply, it won't be towed anywhere, it will be left at the docks (and incur costs) unless you have it picked up by some sort of tow truck/flat bed!

kiwimex
19-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Ask the seller of the boat to give you exact measurements of the trailer, if it does not comply just organise a flat bed truck to pick it up from the port of Brisbane.

I have recently imported a new boat and trailer, I had my trailer made to Aus specs, so I did not have any issues when the Boat arrived.

You can still apply for your trailer import permit and nominate a workshop or yourself as the person to undertake the repairs to the trailer to make it comply, An import permit can still be issued if your trailer does not comply. It takes about unto 30 business days to get your permit depending on how busy they are, and you must have the permit before your boat arrives, as you will incur storage fees at the port of Brisbane.

PM me if you need and further information, I can also recommend an agent to clear the boat for you, if you don't already have one.

Cheers

Steve

wrxhoon
19-05-2014, 08:43 PM
No need to panic, as you have 6 weeks before she arrives, she is still on land I would think.
Apply for import approval if you haven't already and you should get it before she arrives.
Make sure the trailer is no wider than 2.5 mtrs otherwise it could prove difficult ( read expensive to comply).