PDA

View Full Version : Running Out of Fuel - 2012 Yami 60HP

Splash
17-05-2014, 10:10 PM
ok - so i ran out of fuel today, and luckily was given some fuel form another boatie to get home...

sure, i learnt a lesson today and i will never ever be short of fuel again.

what steps should i take now to ensure that no damage has been done to EFI and other parts of my motor as a result of running the motor to empty and then trying to re-start...?

splash

scottar
17-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Bloody hell mate. Did you break a mirror or something.

Splash
17-05-2014, 10:32 PM
lol - first real time i put my motor to the test, traveling long distances at WOT (51 km/hr or 27 knots) against a strong current for at least 2 hours....

now i know ... :-)

anyway, what should i be looking at (if anything) to provide the TLC this relatively new motor needs from this event?

just once, i would like to have everything run well all at the same time on my boat..... :-(

splash

scottar
17-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Mate, I wouldn't think you'd have hurt it but I'm no mechanic. I have run a few donks out of juice though and never had a problem. Carrying spare fuel is something my old man drummed into me from a very early age. Always in a seperate tank or jerry just in case your main supply ends up in your bilge (split tank) or gets contaminated with water. The habit has saved me and a couple of my mates on more than one occassion. You'll sort her out eventually. It's hard to be patient though.

Splash
18-05-2014, 09:27 AM
thanks scottar.

your dad is a good man!

was'nt too keen on spending the night with the chance of crocs jumping in the boat.....

splash

scottar
18-05-2014, 12:44 PM
No mate. No walking handbags where I am thankfully. Not as many fish though. Hmmm - not sure that is actually a good trade off. LOL.

baitable
18-05-2014, 01:34 PM
I grew up in PNG and people run out of juice on a daily event... no harm caused mate.

Giffo65
19-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Splash
I have 2 x 24 lt Yammy tote tanks in my Poly 4.55, so have a backup.Are you running the underfloor tank in your 4.1 ?.Given where you live & fish, I would carry spare juice ! Just rotate the jerry into the tank at each fill to stop it going stale.I do not think you have done any damage to the Yammy.

Rip it up
19-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I run my 2010 f60 yammy out of fuel regularly. It has 1870hrs on the clock. No evidence of any issue at all. I run it one tank until it's empty. Cough splutter at full revs. Stop change tanks. Turn key onto acc and let pump prime up a couple of cycles. Then BAM into life.

Simply the fuel pump on these motor will prime fuel without the need to squeeze the primer bulb. Meaning that the fuel pump is a displacement style pump. It will suck air up through the lines just as well as it does fuel.

I would only be checking the 2" long paper element in the water seperator filter on the aft/stbd side of the engine. It may have collected the nasties in the bottom of your tank.

Other than that. Get out and use it.

What was your fuel burn rate. To run out after two hours.
My little weapon run at 4L/hr full noise, 32knots. Towing wakeboards or crabbing up the creeks. Doesn't change it much. But I do carry 100L of fuel in two tanks plumbed with a ball valve on each pick up.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.

Splash
19-05-2014, 07:30 PM
thanks boys.

this is new info to me. so i do not need to prime by squeezing the rubber bulb at all? - that's great news!

i have the 4.1m polycraft - heavy sucker with one passenger, 3 x 12 V batteries, 1 x elec motor and other stuff...

it was the first time i really ventured far with this setup.

i travelled 52km/hr at WOT and burned 10L of fuel in 40km - pushing against a 7m tide current - stock prop. is this good fuel efficiency?

splash

scottar
19-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Not bad. Try backing off to around 4000-4500 RPM. Economy will improve and your motor will love you for it. Do you have NMEA2000 on that motor?

Giffo65
19-05-2014, 08:04 PM
Hard to tell with you running into a tide Splash,a bit like a car on a conveyor belt. You have been AWOL on PBO site of late mate.

Splash
19-05-2014, 08:20 PM
hi scottar.

yes, i realised that when i trimmed the motor back out i was running faster and more smoother. i realised this after travelling around 25km with the motor fully trimmed in and not maximising my speed...

yes, i have NMEA2000 on that motor so i can hook up all the fan dangled good stuff...for fuel efficiency, etc..

hi giffo - yep awol from PBO atm - need a break from the mob... :-) but, i will be back one day...

splash

bannana
19-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Moejoes ran out of fuel and has twin 175 suks. Everything seems to be fine and that was a couple years ago.

Moejoes
19-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Moejoes ran out of fuel and has twin 175 suks. Everything seems to be fine and that was a couple years ago.

Totally correct Bannana
No damage at all, apart from my pride ( First time ever ).

scottar
19-05-2014, 08:43 PM
What sounder/GPS are you running Splash?

Splash
19-05-2014, 08:44 PM
wow - how far out were you when you run out of fuel and what changed this time?

splash

Splash
19-05-2014, 08:45 PM
furuno 585/p66 ducer +
hds12T/LSS2 ducer +
Handheld Garmin GPS

splash

Jsmfun
19-05-2014, 08:53 PM
My 175 suzi is still good and pride is hard to get back (lol)

Moejoes
19-05-2014, 08:57 PM
wow - how far out were you when you run out of fuel and what changed this time?

splash

We were 4kms from the bar ( Glad it didn't happen on the bar ).
Happened because of some heavy lead handed person - Oya Vic!!!. ( Normally come back with 100 litres in the tank doing a 350km trip )
I now run a Garmin GMI 10 connected via NMEA direct to the motors which monitors fuel consumption to the litre.
I also pre plan my trips to know what I can & can't do.
It's all about knowing your limits with spare for when you may need it. Eg rough weather.

Splash
19-05-2014, 09:16 PM
indeed.

why choose the garmin GMI 10 over the other choices?

splash

scottar
19-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Splash,

It is probably worth doing the hookup to the HDS. In theory you need a NMEA2000 backbone etc but I have done one direct hookup to a pair of Yamy's. Even if it doesn't work direct you will need the cable to hook up to a network. The guy who told me to hook it up direct was Glen Gibson I think from Yamaha Australia. If your dealers not sure it might be worth a phone call. Once you get it going it will at least calculate economy for you without a memory module so you will know what your best cruise speed is in relation to fuel conservation

Splash
19-05-2014, 09:46 PM
thanks

yes - definitely will hook up to the hds in the future. good technology. will need to get this side scan working properly first...

LittleSkipper
19-05-2014, 10:17 PM
hi scottar.

yes, i realised that when i trimmed the motor back out i was running faster and more smoother. i realised this after travelling around 25km with the motor fully trimmed in and not maximising my speed...

yes, i have NMEA2000 on that motor so i can hook up all the fan dangled good stuff...for fuel efficiency, etc..

hi giffo - yep awol from PBO atm - need a break from the mob... :-) but, i will be back one day...

splash

Gidday Splash! Good move defecting from PBO to Ausfish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Splash
19-05-2014, 10:53 PM
why is that LittleSkipper?

gr hilly
20-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Totally correct Bannana
No damage at all, apart from my pride ( First time ever ).
At least that is what the rotty thinks lol.
hilly

scottar
20-05-2014, 09:17 AM
indeed.

why choose the garmin GMI 10 over the other choices?

splash

Suzuki and Garmin have a dealership agreement in Australia. Apart from that the Garmin gear has built in fuel calculation - it doesn't require the external memory module that the lowrance does to keep tabs on the fuel used. At least it didn't back when I was flogging it. Kitty Cat would have a better idea with the new models.

Moejoes
20-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Suzuki and Garmin have a dealership agreement in Australia. Apart from that the Garmin gear has built in fuel calculation - it doesn't require the external memory module that the lowrance does to keep tabs on the fuel used. At least it didn't back when I was flogging it. Kitty Cat would have a better idea with the new models.

Sounds like you have done this before Scottar.
Kitty Cat done the final set up for me once I installed it.

scottar
20-05-2014, 09:30 PM
Sounds like you have done this before Scottar.
Kitty Cat done the final set up for me once I installed it.

Yeah mate. I've set up the odd boat in my time.

myusernam
21-05-2014, 10:25 AM
We were 4kms from the bar ( Glad it didn't happen on the bar ).
Happened because of some heavy lead handed person - Oya Vic!!!. ( Normally come back with 100 litres in the tank doing a 350km trip )
I now run a Garmin GMI 10 connected via NMEA direct to the motors which monitors fuel consumption to the litre.
I also pre plan my trips to know what I can & can't do.
It's all about knowing your limits with spare for when you may need it. Eg rough weather.

It's also about having some idea.