PDA

View Full Version : Mercury 60 Four Stroke

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 06:09 AM
Looking at a new boat package with 60 mercury 4 stroke ; who's got one who rates them ??
Only problem I've heard is they don't like the mud in the creeks and will go into limp mode if they suck up sand or dirt .

Please share your experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleSkipper
16-05-2014, 07:07 AM
That certainly is an interesting question? Not sure if a 4 stroke let alone a 2 stroke would go into limp mode everytime the leg of your outboard came across some mud or sand?

Unless it was copious amounts of it? Hopefully Spaniard King could shed some light on the subject?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seahorse
16-05-2014, 07:18 AM
Hey snagged.
what boat package are u looking at.

i am having similar problems, merc 4 stroke or yammy 4 stroke but in the 50 hp.

think i would agree with little skipper.
, but would be interesting to know.

cheers

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm looking at the Clark Rebel 460 side console
I've had mates have the limp mode function happen to them a long way from the boat ramp and it really puts a dampened on a fishing trip
It's a built in function that stops your boat from overheating if the engines not getting enough water
Mercury have bigger holes in the plastic gauze on the leg that allows more mud and sand to be sucked into the cooling system
I've been in a boat with a 75 optimax when this happened and we couldn't get up on the plane to get home the local mercury dealership found a lot of sand in cooling system and fitted stainless steel gauze to the intake on the leg as they do to some of the commercial fishing boats to prevent this

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 07:32 AM
This won't happen every time u hit sand but I do fish the creeks at low tide and there's always somewhere shallow stopping u from getting u where u need to go

scottar
16-05-2014, 07:43 AM
So do they go into limp mode because of reduced water pressure or because they have got hot because of lack of pressure? Pretty much all modern motors will do the latter

Noelm
16-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Lets get something clear here, reduced RPM is not "limp mode" it is not designed to get you home when your motor has a major problem. . . Limping home will probably see the death of your motor, an alarm, and RPM reduction is telling you to stop NOW, not continue on without oil/cooling/whatever.

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 08:04 AM
Yes dad they do alarm and all engines will do this I know
Dependant on the situation u may have to push your motor to get back to the ramp or to where it's safe to sit and wait for help

scottar
16-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Sorry Snagged again. I have edited the post to reflect the actual question. Not trying to be smart - just trying to type with a busted hand and didn't proof read. LOL.

aussiebasser
16-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Any motor that gets a gut full of mud or sand will have cooling issues. I'd count it as a good feature that it protects the motor from doing major damage by warning you. I had a 50hp 4 stroke Merc for a few years and it was a brilliant motor, I never had any issues with it. I've never had any issues with any of the other Mercs I've owned either. I owned a Yammie once too and it didn't give me any issues either. I had a 15 2 stroke Merc sit in my garage for 5 years without being used before my nephew talked me into handing it down to him. I ran it out of fuel before I put it in the shed. I got it out, strapped it to a pallet and shipped it down to Victoria on the back of a truck. He took it off the pallet, hooked up a fuel tank, primed the bulb and it started first pull and it's still going strong. I've only got two 4 stroke Mercs now but they'll do everything I need them to do.

LittleSkipper
16-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Any motor that gets a gut full of mud or sand will have cooling issues. I'd count it as a good feature that it protects the motor from doing major damage by warning you. I had a 50hp 4 stroke Merc for a few years and it was a brilliant motor, I never had any issues with it. I've never had any issues with any of the other Mercs I've owned either. I owned a Yammie once too and it didn't give me any issues either. I had a 15 2 stroke sit in my garage for 5 years without being used before my nephew talked me into handing it down to him. I ran it out of fuel before I put it in the shed. I got it out, strapped it to a pallet and shipped it down to Victoria on the back of a truck. He took it off the pallet, hooked up a fuel tank, primed the bulb and it started first pull and it's still going strong. I've only got two 4 stroke Mercs now but they'll do everything I need them to do.

Well that certainly is sticking it to all those who doubt Mercury? Nice one!

We live in a mechanical world, we should all get used to it?

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 09:40 AM
No worries Scottar thanks for your input

SnaggedAgain
16-05-2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks Aussiebasser my current boat has a mercury sea pro 25 on it and it's always been good
The newer 4 strokes do have all these sensors on them to protect the motor and your investment and it is a good thing

Seahorse
16-05-2014, 01:11 PM
It was nice to hear the good report on the Merc 4 stroke as iam seriously considering a 50 merc 4 stroke

stang69
16-05-2014, 02:32 PM
I think its mainly direct injected 2 strokes that are sensitive to that sort of thing. They tend to go into limp mode very easily. I have had a Yamaha 4 stroke through the sand a couple times unfortunately and nothing went off. If the cooling system gets blocked and it overheats an alarm will go off, but no loss of power. Best to shut everything down at that point, but sometimes you dont get that luxury. I know the Yamaha and Mercury 50-60 4 strokes used to have the same power heads, not sure if they still do. They seem to be very similar in specs, weight, cylinders, gear ratio. Almost the same motor? I'd happily own either.

scottar
16-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Nothing to do with two/four stroke. Simply a matter of whether you drove it in hard enough to fill the water intacts with sand/mud. Do that to any outboard to the extent that you reduce water flow enough and you get an overheat. Some outboards may have water intake positions that make them more susceptable but a lot of it comes down to the bank that you hit and your actions from that point.

stang69
16-05-2014, 05:30 PM
I thought we were talking about limp mode. DI 2 strokes go into limp mode way more than any 4 stroke. They seem to be very touchy and sensitive. My experience only.
Carby 2 strokes never go into limp mode......

The Woo
16-05-2014, 06:35 PM
I've got a Merc 40 Efi four stroke, same basic engine as the 60, and a current model. Mines a 2009 and has been faultless. Fishes estuaries and trolls in shallow water, sometimes bumping, never an issue.
It's a lovely little engine.

oldie
16-05-2014, 07:08 PM
seahorse they do a big tiller arm on the mercs its great a good friend of mine has one on his 60hp its a worthwhile upgrade and kinda feel its better than the Yamaha tiller arm set up my other mate has on his 40 4 stroke! me i got a Dirty big Carby 2 stroke so it eats all sorts of fuel and usually dredges its way through anything without hassle! :)

Seahorse
16-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Hey oldie, i know about the big tiller arm. I have included this in my quotes