PDA

View Full Version : New boat advice

Seahorse
14-05-2014, 04:53 PM
I have been looking for new tinnie. I have come down to the quintrex renegade blade hull 4.20ts model

the hull and layout looks great. My only problem now, is, yammy or merc.

i want to put a 50hp 4 stroke on the back.

i spoke to couple dealers today. $1400 more for yammy.

Motors look same on specs, both have controls on tiller arm, with power trim and tilt, troll speed, and elect start.

do you think worthwhile spending the extra, and get the Yammy.

cheers
greg

Blackened
14-05-2014, 05:18 PM
G'day

I'd see what tiller you like the most... specs are practically identical, I'd prefer the merc personally

Save $1400 or flip a coin?

Maybe look to see if they both network ok with your planned electronics packages if that's an issue?

Dave

snakecatcher
14-05-2014, 05:45 PM
My old hornet trophy had a merc no issues at all in 10 years - going for a Yamaha on my new boat though because it was cheaper than the merc. Both are good motors and I think merc have a cash back promo at the moment

Spaniard_King
14-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Yamaha with out a doubt much better quality engine!

Seahorse
14-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Thanks Garry.
why do u say that mate?

Cheers
greg

Spaniard_King
14-05-2014, 09:12 PM
When you have to pull one apart 5 years down the track you appreciate the manufacturer using better quality materials

robsue
15-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Greg
did you get a quote from Brisbane Yamaha at Burpengary?

Seahorse
15-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah rob i did. They are the most expensive. They gave me a quote and wouldnt budge. All they did was bag the shit out of the merc.
i wasnt really that happy with them. I have got 2 better prices from other dealers with yammy.
hows the fishing going?

Cheers
greg

rtp1984
15-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Hey Greg, sounds like you have it just about sorted.
What are the warranties like in the different brands. I heard an add for yammy on the radio the other day for 6 years on 4 strokes. Is merc similar?
I think warranties are worth looking at.

Cheers
Rob

SnaggedAgain
15-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Mercury warranty 5 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seahorse
16-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Yeah merc 5 yrs, yammy 6.

getting bit closer now. I really like the boat. Just have to see who comes up with the best deal.
i got quotes from 4 dealers who are keen.
Brisbane yamaha are the only ones who are not interested in doing a better price.

cheers

LittleSkipper
16-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Yeah rob i did. They are the most expensive. They gave me a quote and wouldnt budge. All they did was bag the shit out of the merc.
i wasnt really that happy with them. I have got 2 better prices from other dealers with yammy.
hows the fishing going?

Cheers
greg

Did they go into specifics when they bagged the shit out of Mercury? What did they say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seahorse
16-05-2014, 07:21 AM
Mate, they compared it like the yammy was the royles royce and the merc was a hyundai.

that was their exact words. Then they said the merc had cheaper parts from mexico.

didnt think that was a good comment

robsue
16-05-2014, 08:22 AM
fishing is quiet Greg
if I didn't already have a Yamaha, {got my 70 4stroke $800 cheaper at Burpengary, though I believe they brought 30 motors at discount} and I was looking for one I would be taking very close notice of what Spaniard king said, as he is a Honda dealer so has no ties to either brand

oldie
16-05-2014, 07:18 PM
that 6 year warranty is a dealer thing though eh based on their website

fishychrissy
16-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Just upgraded to a Yamaha 4str 60hp on my 450 Catcher and ironically it came in cheaper than the 50 because of the rebate.
Called Brisbane Yamaha as they are just down the road anyway and they gave me some pretty reasonable pricing info on the 40 and the 60.
Was just going to stick with the F40F but they said they could do the F60F for just $900 more because of the larger rebate.
I'm buying the Stessco BMT package from down the coast a bit, so I called the dealer armed with the pricing info that Brisbane Yamaha gave me. They reluctantly matched it so I cast aside the 40hp 3cyl donk that was part of the package and went for the F60F instead.
It's been 6 weeks now since I ordered it and I'm going crazy waiting for it!!
If I had bought the BMT package from another dealer it would have come with a Merc instead which wouldn't have phased me anyway.
Did have a Merc on my old tinny and that never missed a beat though either.
Cheers

Seahorse
17-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Thanks for that info fishy. If the 60 is cheaper than the 5 then maybe i could go up to the 440 and wont be that big of an increase.
i will now look into this.

cheers
greg

The Woo
17-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Mexican parts in a 50hp EFI Merc - hahaha, they're just shit-canning it to get a sale.
These engines are built in China. As I said in your other thread, I've got the 40hp version (2009), zero issues, and currently over 400hrs.

The last engine I had on this boat was a 25hp Merc big foot 4-stroke, carb though. Over 1,200hrs, zero issues.

Yammies are excellent engines, but the Mercs aren't "bad" engines.

scottar
17-05-2014, 10:28 AM
hahaha, they're just shit-canning it to get a sale.

It's a poor salesman that resorts to these tactics. All it makes me do is turn around and walk out. I have two uncles, both with 4 stroke 60s - one has the merc, one has the yamy - neither is unhappy with their choice