PDA

View Full Version : stringers on 23 huntsman

arewethereyet
13-05-2014, 09:56 PM
Hello all, Im in the process of striping out my boat to install new stringers and maybe a pod

On the usa sites they swear black and blue that epoxy is the only way to go, waterproof and adheres better then polyester. But talking to a local fiberglasser, (quote to do the job) No worrys Mate poly is the way to go.

what do you think?

Also what size outboard engine would be good for this size boat, IM thinking 250hp 4stroke., Any ideas on pods?

Looking forward to your thoughts cheers

wayno60
13-05-2014, 10:52 PM
I know this a bit of a read but I think theres plenty of good tip and also a bit on pods.
http://www.reel-time.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66881

gofishin
13-05-2014, 11:09 PM
...On the usa sites they swear black and blue that epoxy is the only way to go, waterproof and adheres better then polyester... Yep! Poly is brilliant when adhering to other wet/uncured poly, like laying up a hull, but is far from the best in this instance. It may do the job in some eyes, but epoxy will leave it for dead! Poly is cheap and easy, but you may pay in the long run.

There are probably other better resin options than poly too, but I am decades out of the game and not up to speed anymore. The Epiglass brand was still king in my day !

...Also what size outboard engine would be good for this size boat, IM thinking 250hp 4stroke., Any ideas on pods?

Looking forward to your thoughts cheers fly bridge model or sedan?? Although they are only 23', they are a big 23 footer and have a 9' 4" beam from memory, and ~22 deg deadrise or similar. What's more these old hulls were laid up very thick. Heavy boat!

If you're happy with slowish cruise speeds and low 30's knots top speed you will be happy.

In the old days this performance would have been more than acceptable , but we are now in the go-fast era apparently! I would like more ponies, but it's your boat.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arewethereyet
14-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Yes its a flybridge model, Do you think 250hp is to small? If so should i keep the inboard and put in a new 325hp mercruiser,
i would like to be able to pull a skier on the odd occasion . excuse a silly question but is a 300hp outboard the same output as a 300hp inboard.

ozynorts
14-05-2014, 09:15 AM
Have you considered one of the new Mercruiser TDi diesel inboards?

Montysfishing
19-05-2014, 09:47 PM
Hello ,
I recently repowered my huntsman 23 fly bridge with a steyr 236hp turbo diesel. I used the volvo sx drive that was already in it. I get a top speed of 28 knots. More than enough power for me