PDA

View Full Version : Project boat - need advice on internal set up

Pinguu
11-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I have a cracking little 4.5 tri hull, which I have striped and is now ready for building the internal layout. My dilemma is should build a floor throughout the boat or just in the areas where I will not have casting platforms ??

Do I use marine ply as is typical or would alloy be a good alternative for light weight non rotting material suggested by a friend ? Given it is a fibreglass boat , I would have thought glassed in ply would be more appropriate.

My basic requirements for this rebuild in terms of layout are , Side console , front and rear castin deck, under floor fuel tank. I am thinking to utilise all of the space within the hull rather than running a floor throughout then only having access to the space above the floor and below the casting decks.

Also , I have not done this before so any tips would be helpful regarding who to consult along the way (shops , suppliers . professionals) and where to source materials.

Photo of the boat below.

odes20
12-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Well its a big project, and having done a few, it takes time, so psycholigically, you should prep your self to not get discouraged. Ha! Id go fiberglass but thats just my view, and glass everthing including the underside of floor panels.

There is quite a few basics in working with fiberglass. One primary tip is to thouroughly sand / grind back all areas of the hull and structure you will be glassing new work to. Fiberglass resin will not adhere to paint, gell coat or flowcoat. An exterior ply is sufficient as it has the same glue as Marine ply

hope that helps