PDA

View Full Version : What Batteries to Buy???

WalFish
10-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Took the boat in for a service and got chatting about batteries. Mine are about 5 years old now and are a bit slow on the start sometimes when the engine is cold. I normally connect the CTEK charger before we go away on longer trips just to be sure, but it might be time to bight the bullet and replace the old ones.

I have a dual battery setup for the Formosa Tomahawk to kick over the 135hp Honda. I don't have any fancy solenoids etc that manage the charging - just the old rotating selector for OFF, 1, 2 or Both.

Any advice on what to get in regards to minimum CCA, sealed low maintenance or those glass matting types etc and where to get a good deal in Sydney?

Thanks

Wal

MyWay
10-05-2014, 05:49 PM
here is something to start with and compere the rest http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/roadside_assistance/racq_batteries/marine_batteries at the end $$$ will win

and if you are a member they will deliver to you for no extra cost

perko
10-05-2014, 06:10 PM
Ac delco, supercharge and delkor are all good. I like marine calcium maintence free in 700cca.

CATchin'Em
12-05-2014, 08:04 PM
8c3639 the part number is. You can buy from your local caterpillar dealer you will not beat them for price or warranty. Download One Safe Source 2014 and have a look all specs are there calcium, maintainence free, 5 yr warranty. 2yr replacement, 3 years declining. I have had them for years and can't fault them. Basic info here https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEWJ0115-00.pdf

Argle
13-05-2014, 09:31 AM
8c3639 the part number is. You can buy from your local caterpillar dealer you will not beat them for price or warranty. Download One Safe Source 2014 and have a look all specs are there calcium, maintainence free, 5 yr warranty. 2yr replacement, 3 years declining. I have had them for years and can't fault them. Basic info here https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEWJ0115-00.pdf

For not many more $ my pick would be the 1754390 - 1000cca nearly more power than the motor!!

Cheers

CATchin'Em
13-05-2014, 06:36 PM
For not many more $ my pick would be the 1754390 (tel:1754390) - 1000cca nearly more power than the motor!!

Cheers

Yeah I only use marine batteries on boats that is why and also deep cycle. I wouldn't even consider the battery you suggested for a planing vessel but each to their own. The true info is here https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEHJ0073-02.pdf

Moonlighter
13-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah I only use marine batteries on boats that is why and also deep cycle. I wouldn't even consider the battery you suggested for a planing vessel but each to their own. The true info is here https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEHJ0073-02.pdf

Surely you are not suggesting a deep cycle battery as a starting battery? If so, why??

I had a look at that Cat document and there are both marine starting batteries eg 8C3638 and deep cycle 8C3639.

I cant find prices published anywhere for those batteries - care to give us approx prices on them both?

WalFish
13-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Well, picked up the boat today and confirmed that one battery has dropped a cell so is buggered. The other is OK but I will bite the bullet and replace both - but what with?

The mechanic recommended a minimum of 800 CCA - most batteries I have searched for on the internet are around the 720-740 CCA maximum, unless I go the Optimas, but not sure how good they are and there are so many to choose from.....:-?

Would be interested in the CAT batteries but as Moonlighter has said, what price? Can't find it anywhere....

Any recommendations on how to proceed very welcome.

CATchin'Em
13-05-2014, 07:48 PM
They are both deep cycle and starting batteries. That is why. You will not find a price without contacting a local dealer. But around $150 mark I believe retail. The document provides a lot of information as all of their documents do. There is a lot to read and understand. These batteries also have ss studs so when coupled with duralac or tef gel, quality terminals,glue lined heat shrink and solder and ss nylon nut and washer finished off with terminal protector they offer a long term maintainence free terminal solution.

Moonlighter
13-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Wal, i honestly doubt if you need 800CCA for that Honda. Did a quick search and found this Honda manual : http://www.hondamarineparts.com/sportcraft/layouts/05/skins/MainPortal/base/HondaModelYear.pdf

It says the 135 requires a 622CCA battery (809 Marine CA).

Sme time ago I had a tohatsu TLDI direct injected 2 stroke and, like the Merc Optimaxes, because of its special direct injection system, it needed a very high CCA battery. Ended up using the Supercharge Allrounder batteries which proved very good.

I must say that the specs and warranty on those Cat batteries look very interesting, if we can just find out where to get them from and an actual price to compare them with the regular Supercharge etc batteries.

WalFish
13-05-2014, 08:11 PM
Yeah Moonlighter. I looked and found the same. My batteries are currently 650 CCA and are five years old almost. BUT I have had the battery alarm go off a couple of times over the life of the boat and have had the issue checked over at each service - alternator, earth connections and batteries always check out as fine. But the dealer and mechanic both recommended a minimum of 800 CCA as they had seen some issues similar to mine that they traced back to the battery capacity.

I have taken notice of their advice as they don't sell batteries so don't stand to make a profit, so have nothing to gain by giving me crap advice, Plus I don't know any better.....

scottar
13-05-2014, 08:44 PM
They certainly seem to cop a good wrap from the heavy machinery operators. As to the intermittant battery indicator - if you have an isolator switch that is able to be dismantled it may be worth it to see if it has any corrosion if it hasn't already been checked.

WalFish
13-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Checked the switches mate - all good. Even replaced them thinking that they might be intermittent also but fault persisted

ozscott
13-05-2014, 09:44 PM
I have found Interstate to be good value. see R&J at Yatala. I have been converted from Excide. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Argle
14-05-2014, 11:53 AM

The 1754390 is actually a Premium High Output battery as opposed to the 8C3638/8C3639 which are both "General Service" While they are good batteries the warranty on the Premium High output is actually better.

I had a 1754390 in my boat for around seven years and it performed faultlessly and was still in the boat when I sold it.

Compared to the flogging these batteries get in earthmoving gear a ride in a boat is a walk in the park.

Oh and for those that asked the Qld dealer for these is Hastings Deering.

Greg P
14-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Putting a voltage sensing relay would be a good move especially if you are going to replace the master switch.Grab a BEP VSR/Main combo and you wont look back. About 8 months ago I replaced my original batteries with D31M Blue Tops while there was a special on. Happy with them but cheaper options out there if needed.

http://www.bepmarine.com/home-mainmenu-8/product-728/714-140a-dvsr-single-engine-two-battery-banks

Fed
14-05-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere CAT batteries were made to the same specs as SuperCheap batteries?

2DKnBJ
14-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Here are a couple of batteries too look at. I currently have 2 of the 95ah that i run my electric motors off and also use for camping and have 2 cranking batteries 1 in the boat and the other in my patrol.
I am in no way connected to this business i just think they are a good product.

http://www.batteryvalue.com.au/

Cheers Dazza

CATchin'Em
14-05-2014, 09:24 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere CAT batteries were made to the same specs as SuperCheap batteries?
Really fed?? Is that fact??? Where is that info?? Or you just making stuff up as you go along?? Super cheap must make some good batteries then. Better have some proof or does evryone here already ignore what you say?

scottar
14-05-2014, 11:15 PM
I don't know about supercheap but I did find reference to a "Deka" Batteries I think it was out of the US on one of the forums.

fishing111
15-05-2014, 12:31 AM
10 years on D34M's and still going.

scottar
15-05-2014, 08:01 AM
10 years on D34M's and still going.

Those sort of numbers seem to be a general sort of concensus. There were plenty of comments about wearing machines out around batteries so to speak.

NArmstrong
15-05-2014, 08:39 AM
I recently bought a fusion 1

WalFish
15-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks to all those who provided advice. I did a bit more research on the Optimas and got a pair of D27Ms for $315 each. Had a look at the D34M, but for another $20 each, got just that little bit extra. The D27Ms tested at 85% charge off the shelf with over 1100 CCA when load tested - gotta be enough....

Have them hooked up to the CTEK now and will chuck them in the boat tonight after work all ready for Saturday - looking good to chase some Kingies and Snapper out from Sydney Harbour. Probably wont catch much, but is a top spot as far as scenery goes, cruising under the Coat Hanger at dawn....... love it!

Fed
15-05-2014, 11:43 AM
The Honda won't know what hit it Wal, good batteries but they don't miss you with the price eh?

SummerTrance
15-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Really fed?? Is that fact??? Where is that info?? Or you just making stuff up as you go along?? Super cheap must make some good batteries then. Better have some proof or does evryone here already ignore what you say?

Settle down mate. I dont think anyone confused 'I''m sure I read somewhere' with 'this is a fact'.

It's the internet. Take what everyone says with a grain of salt.

myusernam
15-05-2014, 01:04 PM
he could have done a lot worse. check this out
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OPTIMA-BLUE-TOP-BATTERY-12-VOLT-NEW-AGM-D34M-750CCA-DEEP-CYCLE-MARINE-DUAL-BOAT-/221301456427?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3386983e2b
without so much as buying you a drink beforehand! $1242 for something that you can get for $242 on the same site, just by sorting by price. That's 60k profit for that battery alone (site says 60 sold)
Similar markup for other batteries etc. I'm in the wrong game.