PDA

View Full Version : Optimax 250 failure

chooky
09-05-2014, 11:26 AM
I have a OPTI that has had a major failure at 178hrs > No 1 piston fragmented, five holes in block and corkscrewed crankshaft. Before this I have replaced the air pump, 2 coils and 1 injector. Can anyone else better this

Fed
09-05-2014, 11:57 AM
That's a horror story chooky, under warranty I hope.

scottar
09-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Don't want to. New one costs too much. Mine is an Etec though so we'll just have to wait and see:P. Seriously though, that sucks. Hope it is under warranty for your sake.

wayno60
09-05-2014, 03:22 PM
I was going to say you should have got a yammy, but i know this sort of failure can happen with any outboard..178 hr thats sux. Have you had it from new? what sort of life has it had? and so far youv'e already done the coils and injector....not good.

chooky
09-05-2014, 04:13 PM
I've had it from new. As far as warranty goes watch this space.

Spaniard_King
09-05-2014, 05:06 PM
The squeaky wheel always gets oiled first

ozscott
09-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Optis have a reputation of going hard for thousands of hours if properly serviced. They are the only direct injection 2 stroke I would buy.

Cheers

chooky
09-05-2014, 06:11 PM
I must have got a lemon as it was serviced properly and not thrashed>Then again I have been compiling a list of the other local Opti owners that have had alternator bolts shear off, air pumps failing ,numerous electrical and gear box problems for future refrence

scottar
09-05-2014, 06:38 PM
When you have a good look around, nothing is immune to problems. All these motors are pretty high strung nowadays for various reasons. You don't hear about a lot of failures, total or otherwise, that occur under warranty unless you know the guy personally or there is a problem with the back up and it goes public. Some people get all defensive trying to justify their own choice/purchase but they can all have problems.

Reel Hard
09-05-2014, 06:55 PM
Not good. I will be watching this post with interest.

ozscott
09-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Oh...and I own a yammy v4 2 stroke and would only buy a modern injected motor as a last resort or if I was doing way more hours per year.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nathan dumschat
09-05-2014, 08:02 PM
You dont see to many opti's on commercial fleets? Must be reason for this do ya think

ozscott
09-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Heaps of optis on net boats.

Cheers

bigjimg
09-05-2014, 08:36 PM
That's no good chook. Are you under warranty?? Who has serviced your motor and was there any feeling something was not right prior to failure?
So far so good for me. Mine has been performing with no real issues apart from the usual minor failures, trim sensor died. I check the alternator regularly and service every year, what else can you do.

Hope you get some answers and definitive action to compensate for the loss. Jim

odes20
10-05-2014, 06:35 AM
What on earth could cause such a mess! It beggars belief. New power head coming up

scottar
10-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Sounds like No1 piston tried to stop but 2-6 kept going for a tiny bit at least. Rod let Go? Lubrication failure? If it happens at high revs wouldn't take much.

pajames2
10-05-2014, 08:51 AM
A motor should not fail at 178 hours regardless of whether it's still under warranty or not, that product is designed to last alot longer than that, you may have certain rights in regards to this. Have a read of:- http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

Vitamin Sea
10-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Hate to say it but it looks like a lemon. I bought a new 200 OPTI a few years back, flawless in every way, never had a spanner on it apart from servicing. It had 360 hours on it when i sold the boat.
I would not hesitate buying another.

Good luck, I doubt that you will have any issues with the warranty claim, I assume that they will put a new powerhead on it.

vs

chooky
11-05-2014, 11:01 AM
hopefully there should be no problems with warranty claim as I have flown the flag for mercury for many years . Motor was purchased late 2010. I bought the Opti because of its reputation for service life and performance and was impressed until now.

Spaniard_King
11-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Chooky is it under a 4 year warranty??

chooky
11-05-2014, 02:24 PM
hopefully 3 + 2 plan

LittleSkipper
11-05-2014, 07:38 PM
If purchased in 2010 it will be covered under Mercury's 3+2= 5 yr warranty.

Moonlighter
11-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Provided that its always been serviced by a Merc dealer.....

chooky
24-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Squeaky wheel definitely not getting oiled at the moment. Can't get any response from Mercury as to why it happened. Warranty is an issue due to failed Mercury dealer that I bought the motor through allegidely not keeping paperwork up to date and a very helpful and concerned new owner of the business trying to sort out the mess

ReefRobber
24-05-2014, 10:43 PM
Wasn't bought in redcliffe was it chooky?

LittleSkipper
25-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Squeaky wheel definitely not getting oiled at the moment. Can't get any response from Mercury as to why it happened. Warranty is an issue due to failed Mercury dealer that I bought the motor through allegidely not keeping paperwork up to date and a very helpful and concerned new owner of the business trying to sort out the mess

There's always one that slips through the Quality Control Procedures after manufacture? It's ashame really cause the only one to suffer is the consumer.

Hope you get it sorted quick smart chooky?

chooky
25-05-2014, 10:45 AM
No wasn't from down south. It is a shame because I have been looking closely at the 150 hp 4stroke mercs was considering updating 2 x 150 for safety. By all reports they would be perfect for my application but once bitten twice shy.

scottar
25-05-2014, 10:56 AM
No wasn't from down south. It is a shame because I have been looking closely at the 150 hp 4stroke mercs was considering updating 2 x 150 for safety. By all reports they would be perfect for my application but once bitten twice shy.

Put the hard word on the dealer. He may be able to negotiate extra discount with Merc. It will save you having to get rid of the opti later. Have you kept records of all services and so on yourself?

LittleSkipper
25-05-2014, 12:00 PM

You shouldn't let this put a damper on your faith in Mercury or any outboard manufacturer for that matter.

Remember we live in a mechanical world now where Murphy's Law kicks in and really there's not much we can do about breakdowns every once in a while cause there going to happen whether we like it or not?

gazza2006au
25-05-2014, 12:33 PM
if your getting a short block replacement powerhead i would i trade it in once the warranty work is done go the four strokes ;D

that is some ripper damage u must have been moving along quiet fast when it let go and the momentum just hammered the internals

its a shame seeing threads like this mercury is a great brand and they have sexy looking engines but i guess everything is new age technology these days

chooky
25-05-2014, 02:00 PM
That"s the strange thing I was just up on the plane a bang.

chooky
25-05-2014, 02:01 PM
That"s the strange thing I was just up on the plane and bang it went

chooky
25-05-2014, 06:15 PM
A point of interest I killed a few hours surfing today. Quite interesting reading about OPTI models in the states. Google The Hull Truth for one.

ozscott
25-05-2014, 06:38 PM
They have had some compressor failures and loose bolt on same but my understanding is that they are pretty bullet proof for a direct injected 2 stroke.

Cheers

chooky
31-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Squeaky wheel is about to burn out a bearing. Nothing official from Mercury regarding my situation only buts and maybe's. Bit of a worry.

Moonlighter
31-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Phone call to your local Fair Trading department might be in order if not done already. Get the facts from them ss to what you should be able to expect from Mercury and what FT will do for you if they dont. Like a good boy scout, be prepared with ammo in case the answer is not the right one. Start lining your ducks up.

chooky
21-06-2014, 08:01 AM
To say I am disgusted with the response(or lack of response) from Mercury Qld service rep would be an understatement. I have an engine failure due to a faulty product and cannot get any response to my inquiries.I have emailed Mercury Australia and they have not had the courtesy of answering. Several phone calls have been made to Qld Service Rep without any callback.
I am in the unfortunate situation that the Mercury dealer I purchased the motor from went broke and since then it has become evident that service details and warranty log ins were not completed as per Mercury protocol.As it stands Mercury has no record of my service history therefore no warranty.

THIS WILL NOT END HERE.

Spaniard_King
21-06-2014, 09:08 AM
If your looking at other engines PM me . You wont be disappointed.

Fed
21-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Don't you have any documentation to show that it was serviced and should still be under warranty?

Any indication if the failure was something that should be covered by warranty?

LittleSkipper
21-06-2014, 11:56 AM
To say I am disgusted with the response(or lack of response) from Mercury Qld service rep would be an understatement. I have an engine failure due to a faulty product and cannot get any response to my inquiries.I have emailed Mercury Australia and they have not had the courtesy of answering. Several phone calls have been made to Qld Service Rep without any callback.
I am in the unfortunate situation that the Mercury dealer I purchased the motor from went broke and since then it has become evident that service details and warranty log ins were not completed as per Mercury protocol.As it stands Mercury has no record of my service history therefore no warranty.

THIS WILL NOT END HERE.

Mercury Australia has a link on there website where you can conduct an "Engine Service History Log Inquiry" by entering in your outboards serial number which is used to keep a record of all engine service history and mandatory for all 3+2 Warranty's & Light Commercial Engines.

This information should have been entered into there database whenever your service centre conducted the service on your outboard. The link is below for you to check yourself?

https://merclink.mercurymarine.com.au/ep44_merclink_pd_easycommerce/servicehistoryinquiry.aspx

chooky
21-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Fed My early documentation was taken from me by CYCLONE YASI and some services were done exgratia in the interest of customer satisfaction due to ongoing problems with motor and instillation. As far as indications go the motor has had problems since new. I run clean fuel and oil and have correct rev range happening and it failed at 178hrs. ??????????????

Little Skipper There lies the problem the now bankrupt dealer never did what he was supposed to do and Mercury seems to be using this as a get out of jail card

Spaniard King Thanks but no thanks I buy local.

chooky
21-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Don't get me wrong I am not bagging the product I am bagging the attitude/treatment of Mercury Australia. I have purchased numerous Mercury and Mercruiser motors in my decades of boating and still like the product but when something like this happens it tends to leave you wanting.

LittleSkipper
21-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Fed My early documentation was taken from me by CYCLONE YASI and some services were done exgratia in the interest of customer satisfaction due to ongoing problems with motor and instillation. As far as indications go the motor has had problems since new. I run clean fuel and oil and have correct rev range happening and it failed at 178hrs. ??????????????

Little Skipper There lies the problem the now bankrupt dealer never did what he was supposed to do and Mercury seems to be using this as a get out of jail card

Spaniard King Thanks but no thanks I buy local.

Where abouts are you located in Oz?

Stuart
21-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Your warranty is not with the dealer, its with Mercury. If its in warranty which it as ias you say, then your covered. I have a mate thats a outboard mechanic, he has a skip bin full of failed optis. His own opti blew to pieces 2-3 year ago, he maintained it, still blew to bits. I would do up a comprehensive email and send it to ACCC as well as "Australian consumer law".

chooky
21-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Little skipper I am in wet Nth Queensland

ozscott
21-06-2014, 06:57 PM
They must be sitting on a bigger pile of the white motors...

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

LittleSkipper
21-06-2014, 07:05 PM
Little skipper I am in wet Nth Queensland

No worry's chook! Thought you might be in Brisbane somewhere cause I was going to direct you to a very reputable Mercury mechanic on my side.

LittleSkipper
21-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Your warranty is not with the dealer, its with Mercury. If its in warranty which it as ias you say, then your covered. I have a mate thats a outboard mechanic, he has a skip bin full of failed optis. His own opti blew to pieces 2-3 year ago, he maintained it, still blew to bits. I would do up a comprehensive email and send it to ACCC as well as "Australian consumer law".

So what is your opinion of the Opti if you have a mate with a bin full of spare Opti parts, obviously from failures?

chooky
21-06-2014, 07:16 PM
I am more than happy with the new Mercury dealer here that took over after twelve months without a local one He is trying his best to get some satisfaction for me.

Fed
22-06-2014, 12:53 PM
It looks like the planets aligned to screw you over.

Although eventually Mercury pays, your warranty is with whoever you bought the motor from. You need to know who.

Did the dealer really go bankrupt (check with asic), did the dealer sell the business to the new guy along with outstanding skeletons?

The way I see it is that you need to know who to sue if you want to take it further.

ACCC would be another place to check out.

chooky
22-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Receivers sold him up place shut down for 12mths then new bloke established

docaster
22-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Would you have bank records that would prove you paid for the services etc? Surely that would be proof enough if all paper records lost to yasi.

NothinSuss
24-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Chooky,

Sorry to hear the spot your in there with that motor, see attached link for a second handy in Darwin.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bees-creek/boat-accessories-parts/250-mercury-efi-salt-water-series/1049457687

LittleSkipper
24-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Chook! In my opinion, stay away from the number 1 fraudulent website gumtree. I don't think you'd want any more headaches than you already have? Wouldn't you agree?

Camhawk88
24-06-2014, 10:54 AM
I dont think he would want to throw 5k at an old 2 banger when he has a 2 year old Opti that should be brought up to to close to new condition by Mercury honoring their warranty for an obviously faulty product. Stick to your guns mate sounds like you are in the right but will they are gonna make you work for it.

LittleSkipper
24-06-2014, 10:57 AM
I dont think he would want to throw 5k at an old 2 banger when he has a 2 year old Opti that should be brought up to to close to new condition by Mercury honoring their warranty for an obviously faulty product. Stick to your guns mate sounds like you are in the right but will they are gonna make you work for it.

Absolutely! I wouldn't pay $500 for it. End Quote!

fishing111
24-06-2014, 11:50 AM
I think Bite Me on Fishnet pretty well sums it up. Sometimes I think it's better to know I am buying secondhand and therefore anything that goes wrong is on me, rather than go into full combat mode with all the associated stresses, along with whole guilty until proven innocent which seems to be an all to common of an occurance these days.

We all place too much emphasis on warranty. It's not what it's cracked up to be. Manufacturers will fight tooth & nail to get out of honouring warranty. My alternator recently failed & they tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get out of replacing it. What they should have done was apologize for the massive inconvenience as it failed in a remote location on my Xmas holidays & put an end to my fishing & almost destroyed 2 brand new Century batteries that cost $260 ea. Put me through weeks of grief & I thought I was going to need legal action to get it sorted. A bloody ALTERNATOR !!!!! How simple can it get???

chooky
29-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Just an update
I am amazed at the way Mercury Australia treat their customers.I have had no official explanation as to what caused my engine failure nor have I had any answer to my phone calls to the Queensland service rep or my email to Melbourne head office.
What ever happened to good old fashioned customer relations.