PDA

View Full Version : Big White Bitey and a blow up boat.

scottar
08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Anyone else catch nine news tonight. They would have been looking for clean undies I rekon. LOL

spelchek
08-05-2014, 08:48 PM
For anyone wondering (like I was): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCUc3U8WVMo Just another reason I shitcanned our inflatable tender for a polycraft :)

cuzzamundi
08-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Had a huge girl swim under my zodiac many moons ago not far from there (not far from shore, either). Zodiac was 3.8m, and she dwarfed it. Didn't phase her, though. Didn't stop, look at us, or even acknowledge our presence. Just glided under and kept going. Very tense moment! The water looks very green there at the moment - prime GW conditions!

Cuzza

cuzzamundi
08-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Apologies, for some reason I thought this was north of the Sandhills (Moreton Is). On second look, doesn't look like there at all.

Cuzza

cuzzamundi
08-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Just checked - South Africa.

Cuzza

Louis
09-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Why would the shark to do that? Any ideas what was going thru it's mind? Did it think it may be a dead surfaced whale and took a bite to find out maybe?

Louis

scottar
09-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Only my opinion here. These are apex predators. If it's in the water they are going to try and eat it if it does what food normally does and as you have pointed out Louis, may look like a whale carcass. Much like a fish trying to eat some of the contraptions we throw at them under the guise of "lures"

Sladey
09-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Dude still taking photos and video while that was going on. Crazy or cool!!

Luc
09-05-2014, 07:16 PM
One bite would not be enough to sink an inflatable that size as they have multiple compartments.

IMO, not as bad as those fishing for sharks from a yak!!

ifishcq1
10-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Had a huge girl swim under my zodiac many moons ago not far from there (not far from shore, either). Zodiac was 3.8m, and she dwarfed it. Didn't phase her, though. Didn't stop, look at us, or even acknowledge our presence. Just glided under and kept going. Very tense moment! The water looks very green there at the moment - prime GW conditions!

Cuzza

the sister inlaw doesn't swim very often, but she can eat a whole human no trouble

banshee
10-05-2014, 07:33 PM
My boat has been 'bitten' by a White.......believe me,this thing is being nothing more than mildly curious at best.

cuzzamundi
10-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Seems to happen quite a bit, Banshee. Where were you, and did she hang around/do some laps before having a taste? See a lot of vids of them doing that - slowly circling for a while, then having a quick chew. That's why mine shocked me so much - didn't once acknowledge our presence. Crazy, and not anywhere near as much of a story.

Cuzza

banshee
10-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Off Evans about ten or so years back a Longtail grabed one of my floaters,during the fight my young bloke lifted the motor about 45 deg (bait board wouldn't let it trim up any more),well into the fight everything went limp,which was strange as I didn't feel anything let go.Winding in the slack line I found I was 'snagged' on the outboard leg so I dropped the rod and attempted to handline the last bit in.To my surprise the Tuna had positioned itself so as to be part of the leg,a couple of tugs and I thought I better get the rod in my hand or risk losing it over the side.At that instant a barrel shape caught my eye coming up from underneath.Next thing I know (I was leaning over the transom) I had the gunwale in my gut trying to stay in the boat and my young bloke and his mate were tits up on the floor.Another bloke anchored up nearby said he could see daylight under most of the hull as the shark grabbed both the leg and the fish.The boat,CruiseCraft 500 explorer was unceremoniously dumped about ten foot off to the side,the bite measured 70cm across and there is scuffing on the nose at the waterline.Ironicaly the Tuna lived through all this and I managed to land on my rod stopping from going overboard.I landed the fish pretty quickly after this but try as I might I couldn't get anyone to gaff the fish,never saw the shark again.The whole thing was over in a split second.

cuzzamundi
10-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Crikey Madora that's a bloody near-nightmare, mate. By the sounds of it, she was coming up at full speed, which is what they do when they're ambushing their prey. Crazy power. Change of jocks all round, no doubt. Sounds like she was a big girl, too. Thanks for the story.

Cuzza

cuzzamundi
10-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Come to think of it, there were reports a few years ago that an old salt was out off Kooringal in his tinny with his dog, and a big girl up ended them from underneath. Both fella and dog made it back to shore. Dunno about its truth, but it was a well worn story around Moreton Is.

Cuzza

Crossy93
11-05-2014, 09:34 AM
F That! thats all i have to say

scottar
11-05-2014, 09:21 PM
F That! thats all i have to say

Yup. I'm with you.