PDA

View Full Version : how important is trailer height

Dignity
07-05-2014, 11:48 AM
I am in the market for a new trailer and reviewing 2 models at the moment one of which is 75 mm lower than the other model (my current trailer is similar height to the higher one). I know for towing purposes the lower the centre of gravity the better and although I don't usually tow more than 15 mins up the road I will be doing more trips to 1770 etc so it is a consideration, however which is better for drive on drive off performance at the ramp as this where a lot of the angst lies.

I originally dismissed the idea of the lower height trailer as I have an Allison 195 with an extra long shaft yammy 150 on it and thought that the lower height would cause the skeg to dig in when driving onto the trailer, something I have to be very careful of now but on reflection I am thinking that the approach angle will be lower and therefore the bow wouldn't lift as much so it would be a bonus. Any one out there with experience in which is the better way to go.

scottar
07-05-2014, 12:28 PM
If you have been happy with the existing trailer I would go with the higher one. More so for exit angles from driveways etc. That said if you are sinking the trailer for drive ons etc I would be more concerned with the construction or construction materials than anything. There are better options for longevity than the traditional RHS/SHS construction nowadays.

Dignity
07-05-2014, 12:36 PM
scottar, I do have a slight problem exiting as I have an extended hitch at the moment and it just scrapes the very edge of the driveway, this will be eliminated with a new longer trailer as I will replace the original shorter hitch, the old one is 21 years old and would have been put on as the smallest they could get away with. The rest of the trailer doesn't touch the driveway at all although now that you have raised the matter I will have a look at various fittings on the lower trailer although I doubt they would be a problem at this stage.