PDA

View Full Version : Help with new boat

Swingdoctor
06-05-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm looking at buying my first boat and was wanting to ask for advice.

Basically I've narroed it down to a Savage Scorpion 500 1/2 cab, a Quintrex 481 Escape Runabout and Stessco Sunseeker 510 1/2 cab.

What do you guys think about these boats and any advice on wether anyone is better then the others.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

snakecatcher
06-05-2014, 06:30 PM
What sort of fishing are you planning to do?

oldie
06-05-2014, 08:00 PM
and your max budget $$$

Swingdoctor
06-05-2014, 08:11 PM
We will mainly be fishing in Port Phillip Bay and budget is $18k but we may stretch it a bit for a good boat.

Moonlighter
06-05-2014, 08:15 PM
What engines are on the boats you listed?

Swingdoctor
06-05-2014, 10:48 PM
What engines are on the boats you listed?
Yamaha both 2 and 4 stroke.

Moonlighter
07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
The half/cuddy cabs give a bit more protection and room to move under cover than the runabouts, generally speaking, so that is something to consider. Hop in the boats and see how easy it is to move around and get up front to the anchor etc.

If the ages and hours on the engines are similar, and the boats/trailers are in similar conditions, then pick one of the them with a 4 stroke engine. They are so much nicer to live with, especially for a family that are new to boating. It is not just a bit of a difference- it is head and shoulders better to have a good 4 stroke vs a good 2 stroke.

In terms of hulls, i dont think there is much between the boats you have listed. I am not aware of any if them being "dogs" or otherwise problematic. The Quintrex do always seem to be a bit more expensive, but it is a "name" thing, they are not actually any better at all in my opinion. Just mor popular. Good marketing team, I think!

Get an independent mechanic to inspect and test the engine and give you a report on condition. The same person may also be able to give the rest of the boat and trailer a visual inspection and point out any issues for the inexperienced boater. Or, if you have friends who have been boating for a long time, ask one of them to come along to inspect them with you. They should know what to look for.

Finally, it is a good idea, once you have set your mind on a particular boat, to negotiate a price but make it clear that the deal is contingent on a satisfactory water test - one that fully satisfies YOU that everything works and performs as it should. Again, good idea to take an experienced friend with you. Ask the owner to come along and get them to run thru all the systems, lights, sounder, radio, bilge pump, steering, starting procedure etc. Be prepare to pay/offer a (refundable) deposit to show the owner that you are serious and that you are just not a tyre kicker who is just wanting a joy-ride.

good luck!

ozynorts
07-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I know you have said that you have narrowed the search down but what about something like this?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/narre-warren/motorboats-powerboats/haines-hunter-v17l-140hp-evinrude-quicksale-cheap-fishing-boat/1044706109
At that price you can get a second hand 4 stroke motor and you would have a boat that will be so much better than the ones you have mentioned, in my opinion.
You would need to have the hull, transom and floor inspected by someone (surveyor) to be sure it is all good.

scorpo92
07-05-2014, 07:18 PM
I have an old 450 savage scorpion open tinny. So strong and well built. Loves the chop.

Swingdoctor
10-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys. One question how do you confirm the age of the hull and engine?

ozynorts
10-05-2014, 08:18 PM
For the hull you can try to find a build plate or the like somewhere and the motor's serial number gives you the year of manufacture. Get the engine number, make and HP and post it up and someone here will help you out.

Swingdoctor
12-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Hi guys thanks for all your help. Just to update we bought the Stessco 510 sunseeker 2008 with a 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke engine, its a much better boat then we ever thought we could afford. Bigger, roomier, newer and with both an electric anchor and trailer winch. Presents beautifully even for a boat its age. Thanks for all your help.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=23740871&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat

Moonlighter
13-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Looks great!

The Yammy 70 2 strokes are a well proven and reliable engine, and, for a 2 stroke, pretty economical too.

I had one on my previous boat and ran up about 500 hours and it never missed a beat. Get it serviced annually and you will be fine. They are not even very smokey as the Yanaha oil injection system is very good. Use a good quality TCW3 marine 2 stroke oil (Yamaha, Caltex or Merc oils are good, but do not use Nautilus...).

Now that the deal is done, did anyone tell you that BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand .....?!

enjoy!