PDA

View Full Version : braid and rod tips

39NESP
05-05-2014, 07:29 PM
hi all
having trouble with the braid cutting into the tips on my rods is there a fix for this
cheers snap

Moonlighter
05-05-2014, 07:35 PM
Yep. Get better quality tips.

SiC silicon carbide tips will easily do the job.

Rodman
06-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Agree cheap is not always the best in this case

Ken

tunaticer
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Plus do not get into the habit of winding lures, sinkers or swivels up to touch the tip like so many people do.
Every time you do that you run the risk of cracking the inner guide ring.
SIC or Cermet guides will avoid any gouging wear.

overdraft
06-05-2014, 06:17 PM
Plus do not get into the habit of winding lures, sinkers or swivels up to touch the tip like so many people do.

Very true with cheap guides but if you have quality guides you will not have this problems I have been running swivels through the guides for the past 5 years on the same rods with no problems.

Danny

Dignity
06-05-2014, 06:19 PM
When I have to lend rods to guests on my boat I make sure there is a soft lumo bead in front of the swivel, stops the problem but the soft ones are getting harder to find lately.

chris69
07-05-2014, 11:51 PM
Just get a Hardloy or Alconite tip top.

Dignity
08-05-2014, 01:42 AM
I'm not going to fix it if it not broke, also the sound of swivels going through runners is a bit like fingernails on a chalkboard

RayLamp
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Why do it the expensive way and replace tips? Why not just go an interline rod!!!

lbger
08-05-2014, 12:40 PM
Replace a tip or buy a new rod.. am i missing something there..lol. interline rods are good for one thing (sort of) storing your bait jigs...

bowds13
08-05-2014, 01:14 PM
May aswell go full roller guides if you are going to buy a new rod each time you damage a tip

Dignity
08-05-2014, 05:44 PM
or not damage them, has the finesse gone out of fishing

lbger
09-05-2014, 09:54 AM
or not damage them, has the finesse gone out of fishing

Its not about finesse, if you use crappy guides and fish braid they wont last.. the post was asking why the tips were wearing out when using braid..

kinda like asking why a jarvis walker reel isnt lasting when catching 10kg kingies :)

Dignity
10-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Ibger, generally if looked after most of the gear will do the job, I suspect it is a case (not necessarily 39NESP) that 50 lb braid is used on a 4 - 8 kg rod and more stress strain then put on the gear because of the breaking strain used allows far more leeway than the gear is designed for. I guess that is the problem faced with braid being thinner than equivalent mono (although there are brands that I reckon are thicker), so if the line is matched correctly to the rest of the gear there shouldn't be an issue.

PS; I have an old Jarvis Walker that I use mainly for catching bait and I use my own home made jigs and have caught some big fish on them and the reel has stood up to some big mackerel, coral trout and cobia.

banshee
10-05-2014, 07:40 PM
I'd like to see a pic of the tip,only because I've never seen a ceramic guide cut by braid.

Dignity
12-05-2014, 08:41 AM
I'd like to see a pic of the tip,only because I've never seen a ceramic guide cut by braid.

interesting but Dacron and similar lines have been around for a long time yet braid cops a hiding from cutting groves into runners, cutting lines into the hulls of boats, cutting mono off etc. is it an urban myth or is it a particular brand that does it.

banshee
12-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Pretty sure my mates boat, an old V-Sea had the odd shallow run in it where the side meets the planning bit (Chine?) from eighty pound braid run off a deck winch going the wrong way back under the boat but even cheaper guides (not talking about the ones you get in a job lot bag from Big W for the same money as one cheaper decent one.) use ceramic.I would actually go as far to say that cheap guides will,over time,shorten the life of braid due to heat build up.Always a good idea in my opinion to use a tip of SiC or Alconite if your running braid,the thinner the braid the more important this becomes.