PDA

View Full Version : Yalta auxiliary.

Kaikoura1
04-05-2014, 12:37 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum business so hi from Yeppoon. I have a Yalta 555 HC I purchased new in 2008 with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke. It is a great boat and nothing fancy as I'm not a fussy boat owner. I am wondering if anyone has fitted an auxiliary motor to a Yalta as I go a long way offshore for fishing and have always had an auxiliary motor on my previous boats.
My only beef with this boat is the Brooker trailer it is probably the worst trailer I have owned, You have to be super carefull putting the boat on the trailer so as not to damage the boat.

Looking foreward to any reply.

Fed
04-05-2014, 12:42 PM
So long as your main motor is reliable radios & epirbs sort of make spare motors redundant nowdays. (IMO)

Noelm
04-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Auxiliaries seem to be fading out these days, with better motors (compared to the 70 & 80s) the chance of a failure is pretty remote, add to that about 200 times more people out fishing, the chance of being caught out alone is rare. If you do get one, make sure it has a long shaft that can actually reach the water, is big enough to push the boat along (about 10 HP min) and gets used regularly so you know it is going to go if needed.

Jabiru658
04-05-2014, 06:04 PM
I've always been of the belief that an auxiliary should be roughly 10% of the power of the main engine(s) which would put you at 13hp and since no one makes a 13 I'd be looking at 15hp motors, you'll probably want to change the prop too and since you've got a 2 stroke as your main motor I'd suggest a 2 stroke as your auxiliary. The Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke is a very reliable little motor (long shaft for your use).

Crocodile
04-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Hello Kaikoura1,
have a search for auxilliary on this site, it is a topic that has been well covered.
In my experience I would only recommend an aux. if you are boating somewhere very remote.
For : some peace of mind.
Against :
weight
trim (weight over the stern and side to side)
maint. on two motors
need a long shaft to prevent air getting to the prop ( which means no good for tinny as a secondary usage)
poor performance (lucky to get 5-6 knots).
petrol supply, if you have a 2 stroke aux. and your 130 is self mixing, you cannot use fuel from the main tank as it is straight petrol with no oil.
You then need another tote tank filled with pre-mixed and is 25 litres going to get you home anyway?
OR use a 4 stroke aux which = $$$$ + kilograms.
Get a good radio + EPIRB, keep your 130 properly maintained, keep the battery tip-top, tell someone where you are going.
But if I were boating in Tasmania or Cape York I would have an auxilliary.

Kaikoura1
05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am more interested in how to actually attach an auxiliary as the Yalta does not have provision for one. I asked about it when I purchased the boat and got the same answer about reliable modern motors.

Noelm
05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
OH, just buy one of those over priced brackets and bolt it to that, any boat shop will have them.

billfisher
06-05-2014, 06:05 PM
You don't need a long shaft if you have a drop down auxillary bracket. My auxillary (short shaft)has got me back several times or meant I could at least fish in the Bay when I have had motor problems.