PDA

View Full Version : Boating to moreton

NArmstrong
02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I currently have a 4.1m Quintrex with a 30hp yamaha. I am looking to upsize to a boat big enough to go to moreton island and back (day trip).
What would be the minimum size boat would recommend?
Ps. I'm not made of money so I need to keep it under the $15k mark.
Thanks

Prowl n Wolf
02-05-2014, 10:07 AM
In my opinion 17ft would be fine.

Nslfishing
02-05-2014, 10:09 AM
I have a 5.1m ally cuddy cab with 90hp and it's a good size for that I reckon. I like the cuddy because if the wind blows up you stay dry. I've seen plenty of open tinnies over there but personally I wouldn't like to do it. Unless it was a glass out day. Simply because it would be an uncomfortable journey. Something to consider is fuel capacity I suppose as well I hold 90L and that's plenty to get me from cleveland to bulwer and back. hope that helps.

Cheers Nic

Crunchy
02-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Keep in mind glass out days are pretty bloody rare so need something can handle a bit of rough.

matt fraser
02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
I used to go to Tangalooma, sandhills etc on good days in my 4.75m Bluefin with a Yamaha 60hp - from Wellington Point.

You have to pick your days and understand the wind picks up most afternoons in summer, and the ride home will be rough and uncomfotable.

Something in glass, with a cabin, would make the trips more comfortable. But you will be stretching the budget, as that usually means more horsepower is required.

Cheers,

Matt

NArmstrong
02-05-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm not a fan of glass. No real reason I suppose I just get nervous as u can't see the stringers when u buy so it's hard to know what u are getting. I really like cuddy cabs, I'll prob look in that direct I think

scottar
02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
As big as you can afford to Buy, tow and run. Doesn't matter how big they are on that patch of water. On any given day you can get caught out. I have done it a heap of times in a 4.5 metre tinnie with no worries but have also been in a Cruiscraft 625 down to 6 knots with green water on the screen on the way home. a cuddy or halfcab will definately give you a bit more comfort if it does blow up a bit

Bustedoff
03-05-2014, 07:04 PM
As big as you can afford to Buy, tow and run. Doesn't matter how big they are on that patch of water. On any given day you can get caught out. I have done it a heap of times in a 4.5 metre tinnie with no worries but have also been in a Cruiscraft 625 down to 6 knots with green water on the screen on the way home. a cuddy or halfcab will definately give you a bit more comfort if it does blow up a bit

What he said.

LittleSkipper
03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
I'm not a fan of glass. No real reason I suppose I just get nervous as u can't see the stringers when u buy so it's hard to know what u are getting. I really like cuddy cabs, I'll prob look in that direct I think

You could give a Poly boat a look over if your interested? Would be perfect for those trips over to Moreton, low maintanance, stable at rest, very strong and flexible. Not as pretty as a metal plate or glass boat but very practical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeremy
04-05-2014, 08:20 AM
What would be the minimum size boat would recommend?

4.5 m is OK and will get you back if it blows up to 20 knots

ReefRobber
04-05-2014, 08:40 AM
Moreton Bay can be a surprisingly dangerous stretch of water. The key to your decision is going to be whether you're going to be happy waiting for glassy days, which seem all to rare, or do you want to make the trip more regularly. If fishing the bay, especially near the island, was my priority I'd be making 5m the absolute minimum. Steer clear of the runabout style of forward steer as well because you don't want to be sitting too close to the bow when negotiating Moreton bay chop. Ouch

NArmstrong
04-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I think 5m is prob about where I'll aim. Never know, I might come across a glass boat I fancy. Would be a smoother ride. I'll just keep my options open

bowds13
04-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Iv taken my 4.5m polycraft over there numerous times. As stated the bay can get messy but iv never felt unsafe on the way home when it's sloppy, just very uncomfortable. But in saying that if I could have a bigger boat I would. The main thing to remember is if you doubt your skills or the boats abilities I'm any condition don't to. Get to know your boat and it's limits and your should be fine.

Cheers

SWANY22
04-05-2014, 06:08 PM
just up dated to a new 4.5 tinny. feels as safe in that commin back from tanga in a 15/20 northly as i do in me mates 5,8 plate center consle as said its what u feel comfitable in

Jsmfun
04-05-2014, 07:02 PM
Mate if you are going from South to north in the morning then opposite on the way home in the bay I would be after a 5m plus as wind against tide is rediculas in 20knts Ive got a 6.5m boat glass and been spanked quite a few times over summer