PDA

View Full Version : land based fishing at Narooma

Monty54
01-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Hi guys, new on Ausfish looks awesome site ;D, I'm looking for some info on fishing at Narooma landbased. Also can you fish from the breakwater at the bar entrance?::)

scorpo92
01-05-2014, 09:25 PM
I fished along a bit of the big rockwall there years ago chasing jews. No luck that time.

RayLamp
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
You can fish in the river just up from the boat ramp on the boardwalk. They even have little enclaves there for it. Or you can fish the beaches to the north of the entrance/bar. All of these places have delivered for me at some point.

Monty54
02-05-2014, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys will give it a shot;D

maru222
02-05-2014, 03:08 PM
i hooked a small black marlin in the bait grounds close to shore at Bermugui many years ago

robfish 1
03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
G'day Monty - you'll have a ball landbased at Narooma - I've fished there for years, and had a lot of success.
Firstly, beside the highway bridge across the lake at the northern end of town, theres a sand boat ramp. Very early mornings on a rising tide will see you into some xos flatties on soft plastics, and the same spot at night will see a lot of good tailor moving through. spinning pillies on a gang works well, and if you let it sink, the flatties will have a go, too.
The rock walls hold lots of big luderick, but getting them to bite is a whole 'nother story!
Driving around the lake, there's some jetties/landings further up the lake and there's some very nice bream in the area - I've taken my biggest in these areas, and there's flatties there, too. Tuna fillets seem to work well up here. Just make sure you take a net to land them - I still cry when I remember the bream I lost attempting to lift it!
The walkways down near the mouth hold lots of trevally on an incoming tide, which will take small soft plastics and small baits.
Overall, fishing around any of the boat ramps will give you a good chance of fish - but outside of normal launching hours.
The breakwalls are not easy to fish - the rocks are huge and a long way from the water, so heavy tackle is the go here, but the beaches are also productive for salmon.
Seek out some local advice, too - the tackle stores are very helpful, but explore, explore, explore! Every time I go back, I find somewhere else to fish!

Monty54
04-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks Rob great info going next week and my wife and I are really looking forward to it, will have to pack my beach rod I think and the winter woolies as well I think 8-)

Noelm
04-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Better pack a second set of winter clothes too..... Make sure you take a Nipper pump, over near Fosters bay area there is plenty, and some good Whiting and Bream to be caught, we used to pump Nippers at low tide, then fish he same area at high tide, the Whiting will come up and feed on the scraps left after pumping. Fish nice and light and use good bait and you will be fine.

lbger
05-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Lived there for 20 odd years, the breakwall is very tough to fish and the tide just rips through there.. The beach fishing is decent with salmon and tailor being caught and the main beach can be good.. this is located at the bottom of the hill and turn left along the 7th hole on the golf course.. you can also walk accross the golf course and down the tee off to the third hole and there is some decent rockfishing to be had there with the chance of a kingfish as well.. If you have the chance to do a charter in the estuary you cant go past a bloke named Stuart Hindson who im sure still runs a charter service for jewies and big flatties and bream on lures.. If you go down the road to mystery bay there is another good spot for rock hopping called high rock..
Even the spot where most people launch the boat to go outside is worth a shot with big whitting, flatties and silver trevally on offer.
Its a beautiful part of the world.
Nathan.