PDA

View Full Version : Bay dolphins

Haji-Baba
29-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I have heard this before about Dolphins being able to remove a bait from a line in the water but now I am a believer.

Saw two adults swim up to our trolled pillies and after a slight nudge, no bait.

They then came right up to the boat and begged for more.

Guess what, not the first time, but very good to see a trusting animal take a pillie straight from your hand in open water.

Had it happen earlier in the year when winter whiting fishing.

The big female would only accept a whole fish, nothing with a broken neck as you do when a winterie is gut hooked.

But to take a pillie off a gang of very sharp 3/0's with out getting hooked is something else.

So the next time you see a dolphin pass on our regards.

The intelligence of animals be they wild or domesticated is worth studying.

Have fun Haji-Baba

ben kent
29-04-2014, 08:14 PM
Me and a friend of mine were fishing at straddy a few weeks back and this was happening so we decided to send a bait and the gopro down, was pretty interesting to watch. How ever after half an hour it got pretty annoying.... They were even taking them from 20m's deep.

Nicholas2230
29-04-2014, 08:17 PM
I was fishing in the bay over the weekend. Got on to a nice mackerel around 80cms which was running real hard and jumping out of the water a lot!! Thing was screaming across on the surface like nothing I had ever seen before. It was only then I realised there was a fin chasing it! Thought it was a shark at first until the dolphin came up for air! My fish dove deep and I tried to get it to the boat. Unfortunately the dolphin won the battle this is time. Bit most of the fish off right up to the back of its head, carefully avoiding the lure. Literally ate 65cm+ of fish in one chomp. I couldn't believe it!!

Haji-Baba
29-04-2014, 10:00 PM
How many times have we had a bait bitten off just behind the hooks?????????

Intelligence, eyesight, cunning, who would know.

Fish schools that just disappear from netted beaches.

Whales coming into the bay and just playing around the anchored boats.

Birds that demand food at the back door.

Cows that abuse you if the water trough is empty. Believe it.

Wild pigs that lie doggo until you make eye contact and then they are off.

I am getting on in years but still learning.

Have fun Haji-Baba

SCREAMER
29-04-2014, 10:20 PM
It is hard to resist feeding wild animals, but be aware there is a $300 fine for feeding dolphins in the bay.

Haji-Baba
29-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Screamer.

Wasn't aware of that but I suppose if I discarded a few small winteries over the side and a dolphin happended to be there, his good luck.

What is the world coming to. I suppose someone has a good reason to make these rules.

Have fun Haji-Baba

Bremic
30-04-2014, 10:59 AM
A few years back I fished regularly off Mooloolaba. I had a spot in about 80 metres that was reliable for a few Trag and Pearlies. Anyway, had a few trips where a pair of dolphins would show up. If an undersize fish was pulled up, they would sit at the side of the boat waiting for the fish to be returned. If it was size, they would wander off and return for the retrieval of the next fish. Buggered if I know how they knew, but they never once got it wrong!!!

Louis
30-04-2014, 11:40 AM
A few years ago their were a couple of dolphins who came up to boats regularily at the ramp at Fishermans Island.

They made the news.

I think they were relocated for their own safety.

They are cute animals.

Louis

chris69
30-04-2014, 12:08 PM
How about dolphins pulling the draw strings on the trawl net in moreton bay which lead to dolphin locks on the draw strings only for this learning curve to spread up the east coast over many yearsAfter many years trying to hand feed a dolphin beside the trawler i finaly got one to take a grinner off bustard heads when i held out another fish and another dolphin came up between the trawler and dolphin and pushed the other dolphin away thinking that it wanted the fish but it did not, the skipper looked at me and said the if he had not seen it he would not have bellived it ,he said that other dolphin was teaching the other no to fratinize with humans.There some times not the cute mammals we think they are as there the only other mammal that has sex for pleasure and ive seen groups of males push a female up to the surface and pack rape it and even in the passage ive seen male packs hold a female in the shallows to pack rape it.Very smart and very intelligent.

Haji-Baba
30-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Chris 69!,

A very well known older fisherman told me once that he was walking or fishing along towards Woody Bay on Bribie and a small dolphin came very close to the beach.

He was in the process of touching the small dolphin when a larger animal came into the shallows and forcibly moved the young one out of reach.

He said it was definate case of "keep clear of humans".

As I said earlier my experiences with other animals has made me aware of the inteligence of all of them and have seen some amazing responses in their behaviour.

Always a learning curve.

Have fun Haji-Baba