PDA

View Full Version : Where do you clean your fish?

Ozwatson
28-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Fishing in southern Moreton Bay on the weekend. Thought I'd be clever and clean the fish on the back of the boat while the family was fishing. Whiting are slippery things and first scrape of the scaler and it slips out of my hand and plops into the water. Split second decision - get wet or lose the fish. I chose to say dry.

So where do you clean your fish? Are there any laws regarding cleaning fish on the beach or boat?

If you do it at home, any tricks to containing the mess (especially scales)?

Bremic
28-04-2014, 10:55 AM
For fish that need scaling(not many, I skin most of them), I do them on the back lawn. If you don't like scales on the lawn, do them in a bucket of water and then tip the bucket of water somewhere.

As for filleting, I do it on the kitchen bench. Spread out a heap of newspaper to catch everything and when you are done, roll the newspaper up into a big ball, with practice there won't be any evidence other than an occasional scale. If you have a good day, you might need to change the news paper a couple of times.

There is a bit below about having filleted fish on board

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/skin-and-fillet-removal

Noelm
28-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I do mine at the cleaning table at the ramp, or my own cleaning table at home, sometimes (rarely) I will do a fish inside the house.

robsue
28-04-2014, 11:56 AM
whiting, why are u scaling them manually?
put them in a green fishnet bag you buy from tackle shop or kmart, and tie rope around and tow behind boat in the wash, easiest scaling for whiting

Ozwatson
28-04-2014, 01:07 PM
whiting, why are u scaling them manually?
put them in a green fishnet bag you buy from tackle shop or kmart, and tie rope around and tow behind boat in the wash, easiest scaling for whiting

I'm a bit of a noob. First boat, first time fishing really since I was a kid so still learning the tricks. Will definitely look out for one of these bags though. Thanks for the tip.

Noelm
28-04-2014, 01:32 PM
not too sure about dragging fish behind the boat to scale them, but it does work, seems to be a very South Aus thing.

Moonlighter
28-04-2014, 03:38 PM
It works with diver (winter) whiting, but not summer whiting, dont know about KGs. Might have to ask a sandgroper!

Filleting tables at ramps are a rarity in SEQ.

i built my own table in the backyard and the Admiral also uses it as a plant potting table. Has a nice big laundry sink in the middle. Room for one person either side of that to fillet fish. Marine ply top.

Waste water and scales goes into the fruit garden. Frames get used for crab bait or chucked back into the bay after dinner time.

tropicrows
28-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Scaling bags work well on most whiting but if you do it for to long you can knock the tails about which may give you undersized fish.

sent using TapTalk

sharkymark2
28-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I grabbed the wives old ironing board and put it to full heigh as I am 193cm. No bending over all scales and stuff drops through easy to hose off and the little iron attachment at the end holds the hose head nicely. The best cleaning board ever.

paullee
28-04-2014, 07:22 PM
I grabbed the wives old ironing board and put it to full heigh as I am 193cm. No bending over all scales and stuff drops through easy to hose off and the little iron attachment at the end holds the hose head nicely. The best cleaning board ever.

That is gold mate...gotta try that...next council cleanup look for the fishos scouring the streets for ironing boards!

Dignity
28-04-2014, 08:47 PM
That is gold mate...gotta try that...next council cleanup look for the fishos scouring the streets for ironing boards!
You gotta be quick, most 4wd'ers will pick them up just for that purpose, a bit of ply riveted or screwed on one end helps.

mattooty
28-04-2014, 10:03 PM
I've got a cleaning table at home. Dogs eat all the scraps (heads, frames, guts) but I usually knock out any particularly sharp spines. Anything I don't want to clean at home gets done at the ramp. All of the ramps I frequent have cleaning tables but I prefer to do it in my own space in my own leisure.

gr hilly
28-04-2014, 10:33 PM
my mrs cleans all my catch but she lets me do the filleting.

Daintreeboy
29-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Try an old towel on the ironing board, or whatever table you use. It grips the fish perfectly and better than newspaper. Works a treat although I only use it for the filleting part. For the skinning I remove the towel.

odes20
29-04-2014, 07:30 AM
I've got a cleaning table at home. Dogs eat all the scraps (heads, frames, guts) but I usually knock out any particularly sharp spines. Anything I don't want to clean at home gets done at the ramp. All of the ramps I frequent have cleaning tables but I prefer to do it in my own space in my own leisure.

Ah! bit of a problem if you have bigger fish! like to see your muts nailing a few 8 kg red emporer carcases and the like.! Also am wondering if those canines now fart 6x strong, as I cant begin to imagine the power of one of them smoking you out of the TV room after a feed of fish guts!

Sevric
29-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Been using an ironing board for 20 years. Go to Bunnings and purchase some thin hard plastic sheet, cut it to shape and attach to the ironing board with a few holes and cable ties. This set up will last at least 10 years then pick up another free ironing board on a council pick up and do it all again, cheap as chips and very effective.

paullee
29-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Ah! bit of a problem if you have bigger fish! like to see your muts nailing a few 8 kg red emporer carcases and the like.! Also am wondering if those canines now fart 6x strong, as I cant begin to imagine the power of one of them smoking you out of the TV room after a feed of fish guts!

Mate i just read your post to my dog and he laughed. An 8kg carcass would be devoured with ease. Have given him bits of the guts before and he picks out the good bits and leaves the crap.Takes him a while on the heads of big fish but he is up for the challenge!! Pretty sure i gave him the head of a 6kg snapper a year or 2 ago which the only problem was keeping his little brother from it!