PDA

View Full Version : The Coast guard is awesome

Jsmfun
26-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Just a big thanks to the coast guard for towing me in through the seaway today. Myself and wife and kids are very grateful that such a service exists cheers :)
Ps stupid garmin crap gauges:-?:'(

Lucky_Phill
26-04-2014, 09:06 PM
ahhh sounds like you depended on some " electronics ". ?? :(

It does pay to belong to the Coast Guard / VMR.

These people are all volunteers and depend a lot on public support from either buying raffle tickets or Associate membership.

LP

Still_Dreamin
26-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Just a big thanks to the coast guard for towing me in through the seaway today. Myself and wife and kids are very grateful that such a service exists cheers :)
Ps stupid garmin crap gauges:-?:'(

Run out of fuel? I always put 10 litres less than what i fill up when telling the Garmin how much I filled up and carry 20ltts in jerry just in case.

Jsmfun
26-04-2014, 09:42 PM
ahhh sounds like you depended on some " electronics ". ?? :(

It does pay to belong to the Coast Guard / VMR.

These people are all volunteers and depend a lot on public support from either buying raffle tickets or Associate membership.

LP
That's why I spent the money to rely on them
I have a underfloor tank they told me it's like a car how else am I to find out as it said 69liters I am religious about fuel never let anything under a quarter of a tank .
as it was I put 31 liters in this morning to make it up to (so called 100l) I was only going to the 24s

dluxv6
26-04-2014, 09:46 PM
Scotty
did u not fill the girl up ,I would of thought 200 litres would be enough mate for a days fishing ;D
Cheers Drew

Jsmfun
26-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I no still_dreamin I used to always carry extra but being brand new I though it might be able to keep track of my fuel since I'm putting it in just another rediculas outing in a very costly boat . I hope all the bad luck has gone now

Jsmfun
26-04-2014, 09:51 PM
Scotty
did u not fill the girl up ,I would of thought 200 litres would be enough mate for a days fishing ;D
Cheers Drew
Hi mate how are you and the family all good I hope .stupid gauges very embarrassing

paullee
27-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Hi,

Just out of interest what motor are you running that would even use 30 litres to get to the 24's. Must be old school and pretty big/thirsty? Have you refilled the tank and confirmed 100 litres went in?

Jsmfun
27-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Hi,

Just out of interest what motor are you running that would even use 30 litres to get to the 24's. Must be old school and pretty big/thirsty? Have you refilled the tank and confirmed 100 litres went in?
2014 175 Suzuki 35hours. At the servo in the morning my gauges said I had 73l on board so I put 27l in to make 100 in total when I ran out it said I had 68l so I got home put 10l started straight away Tank was empty

Chimo
27-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Whats the boat and how big a tank does it have Jsmfun?

Knotpretty
27-04-2014, 08:56 AM
I don't trust gauges I trust me. I fill up before every outing and I take notice what the gauge reads before and after I fill up. This way you can work out how far out your gauges are (different reading underway and at rest with my boat). Marine rescue /Coast guard services everywhere do a great job always reassuring to know someone has your back covered. KP

madmanjim
27-04-2014, 10:07 AM
I don't trust gauges I trust me. I fill up before every outing and I take notice what the gauge reads before and after I fill up. This way you can work out how far out your gauges are (different reading underway and at rest with my boat). Marine rescue /Coast guard services everywhere do a great job always reassuring to know someone has your back covered. KP

I think OP has digital gauges, they only calculate your fuel consumed, and you have to enter how much you fill it up in Litres.

dluxv6
27-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi Scotty
I am confused
you say 100 l tank in your posts, I thought your boat had 210 ltr tank as standard

Drew

Jsmfun
27-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Whats the boat and how big a tank does it have Jsmfun?
210 liters did not think I should put 210l in just to go to the 24's thought 100l should cover it

Jsmfun
27-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I think OP has digital gauges, they only calculate your fuel consumed, and you have to enter how much you fill it up in Litres.
Correct and I input how much fuel I put in at the servo straight away

Chimo
27-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Scot

Lot less surprises if you work off the top of the tank, not the bottom. Its not as if the fuel is going to go off much sitting in the tank.
Whatever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time, (Siblers Law) esp relying on electronics that also follow the GIGO law

Hope you future trips to the 24s etc are less exciting!

Cheers
Chimo

Jsmfun
27-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I no it is stupid to think spending 80k would give you means for a accurate fluid level maybe I should check all the fluids in the motor as who's to say they aren't incorrect also
just sayin if a car fuel tank when you brought it said half a tank then you ran out you would take it to the dealer to get it fixed or say its faulty

Vitamin Sea
27-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I see where you are coming from re the guages, however I think that its good practice to fill the tank before heading offshore, i never rely on guages to tell me how much fuel i have, I need to know how much is in there.

cheers

Jsmfun
27-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Trust me this will never happen again 102848102849Fuel wise anyway

bigjimg
27-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Jsmfun, Put it down to a lesson learnt. Initially you are up for the outlay to fill your tank, this all pales to insignificance when your family is on-board. Never ever rely on your gauges as you have found out.
Unless you have an expensive fuel flow gauge fitted, always fill your tank after each trip. For me a trip offshore, my smart craft gauges will tell me 90-100nm travelled and fuel use 95ltrs. At the bowser I will pump in between 95-100ltrs every time. Yes they are pretty accurate but I will always take an extra 25ltr jerry in addition to the 150ltrs under the floor when going offshore, sometimes I will take 2 depending on the plan.
Having a full tank at all times will lessen the likely hood of condensation within your tank as well. This way you will know exactly what you use each trip and the cost you can split up with your deckies if that is what you do.
Hope you were a member of Coastguard as this is always good insurance and funding an essential organisation. Jim

Jsmfun
29-04-2014, 05:52 PM
yes lesson learn't i will always fill up from now on and i am now a member of vmr and coastgaurd lo

lbger
30-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Bad luck mate, it can happen, two weekends ago for the first time ever i left the bung out of the boat when i backed it in.. realised after 2minutes and quickly put the bung in leaning over the transom and switched on the bilge..... Launched the boat back got to straddy from paradise point and parked the boat up to go camping at nth currigee. Went to fish the amazing weather over the easter weekend and got 100m out of the mooring and died. Didnt think about the water getting into the petrol through the breather....was a very boring boring frustrating weekend waiting for a mate to come tow me back on the sunday arvo whilst the sea was so perfect and no wind!!!

Chimo
30-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Sounds like your breather may be just a tad too short?

C
C

lbger
30-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Sounds like your breather may be just a tad too short?

C
C
Is getting fixed as we speak :)