PDA

View Full Version : Happy 21st to My Surf Rod

Mr Squiggles
25-04-2014, 06:51 PM
I was cleaning my gear today after 8 days on Fraser & realised that my 13'6" surf rod turned 21 during the week. It was crafted by the late, great Mal Ferguson when he was at Bulwer. I'm also still using a light surf rod that I purchased in 1970 from the rod builder who was on the left as you entered Caloundra, Would any one remember his name as its a superb rod? It is a South African blank which were later banned from importing by the Bjelke Petersen regime because of the apartheid at the time. (Remember the Springboks hoohaa)
Mr S

astro66
25-04-2014, 07:39 PM
lol everyone has an old rod that has a story :D

The youngest surfrod I have is over 21....my fav was made in 1990 ....oldest rod I still have is a 8" bream rod I made when I was 12 and I used to work on Saturdays at
Jillies's tackle shop on cotton tree parade which makes it over 35 years old lol ...

Whoofa
25-04-2014, 10:08 PM
did you catch any fish on Fraser.

lbger
29-04-2014, 11:52 AM
nice one i have a TLD 20 that is 17 y/o.. has nailed my best spanyard this year so far too :)

Waraba Mick
04-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Hi Squiggles,
That rod builder on the left coming into Caloundra was a bloke by the name of Ken Tolley. I still have a selection of his rods and use them often.

Regards,
Mick.

gr hilly
05-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I also have a Ken Tolley rod but i thought i was the only nut to talk to their fishing gear i was bringing in a nice big Flathead and i said to my fishing line don't you dare let me down if you do your off the real and some good old Snieder is back on,and then i got my first glimpse of the biggest Flaty i had ever hooked please hook don't straighten out come to daddy baby oh boy is my drag to tight at least i know i can trust my reel keep it under the water net come here you mongrill got the net now come on come on swim her in,
here we go jese ther is more fish out the net than in but into the boat she came a quick measure and go home baby 76 cn and i talked to every bit of my gear that day it was my best lizard ever as fat as a cod and ill never forget that day as long as i live
cheers Hilly