PDA

View Full Version : Running fuel dry

Seahuff
24-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Hi all,
Because of my job, I don't get to use my boat for periods of 2 months or so. What I am wondering is, the last time I use it before this period, should I disconnect the fuel line while flushing and run it till it stops (running it dry to prevent fuel destabilizing in the motor) or did i read somewhere that running fuel injected outboards dry is bad for the injectors?

goat boy
24-04-2014, 09:31 AM
I ran my 2 stroke dry (not sure about 4 st), just as you said, disconnect the fuel line and run until dry. I also put a water separating fuel filter on there as well. Never had any issues, had a few before I did both of those though.

myusernam
24-04-2014, 10:26 AM
my understanding is that this is very old school when the oil used to gum up carbies. The TCW3 spec means this is no longer issue. by running without fuel you are running without lubrication (fuel/ oil mix is your lube). All manufacturers recommend not to. I never run mine out and they start perfectly no matter how long i leave them

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 10:27 AM
My old 1970's Evinrude needed the bowls emptied if I wanted an easy, un-embrassing start at the ramp the next time I wanted to take her out.

Fed
24-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Without a doubt carby pre-mix motors start easier if you run them out but any other motor just turn off the key.

Seahuff
24-04-2014, 12:34 PM
The motors are 4 stroke fuel injected yammy's, maybe just flush and don't disconnect the fuel, not sure whats best though
but really never had any fuel problems to be honest.

aussiebasser
24-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Both my fourstrokes have sat for over a year and not had a problem restarting. I don't use additives either.

Noelm
24-04-2014, 01:06 PM
No need to run an EFI motor dry, and in fact, is probably not such a good idea. To be honest, unless the motor is going into long term storage, here is no real need to run it dry in any make or model.

gruntahunta
24-04-2014, 03:38 PM
X6...........

swallin
25-04-2014, 09:57 PM
The motors are 4 stroke fuel injected yammy's,

Long before you run the VST dry the motor will make a horrible tappity noise if you remove the fuel line.
That is your injectors telling you they are not happy with the world.

DO NOT REMOVE THE FUEL LINE AND RUN AN EFI FOUR STROKE DRY

S

Seahuff
26-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Thanks for that, that's what I thought I read somewhere, and a second reason not a good idea too run out of fuel accidently !!

tunaticer
26-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Years ago I used to run my 2st dry by popping the hose.
Thaqt connection gave me the shits with its poor sealing and sucked air a fair bit so I removed it and run the hose from the tank to the pump.
Since then I never starve dry at the flush.
Absolutely no difference at all for the next start.......always 3rd pull.

juggernaut
27-04-2014, 10:33 AM
my understanding is that this is very old school when the oil used to gum up carbies. The TCW3 spec means this is no longer issue. by running without fuel you are running without lubrication (fuel/ oil mix is your lube). All manufacturers recommend not to. I never run mine out and they start perfectly no matter how long i leave them

How does a premix motor run without lubrication if it runs out of fuel - I would have though both happen simultaneously.

Not directly on point but I've run my 12 year old whipper snipper and blower vac out of fuel after each use and never had to change a plug....and neither have seized yet.

myusernam
27-04-2014, 02:15 PM
How does a premix motor run without lubrication if it runs out of fuel - I would have though both happen simultaneously.

Not directly on point but I've run my 12 year old whipper snipper and blower vac out of fuel after each use and never had to change a plug....and neither have seized yet.

im no expert but it leans right out from what i have read

juggernaut
27-04-2014, 02:45 PM
A lean condition is only momentarily until the idling motor stalls....and causes no issues - otherwise every Victa in the country would have seized by now, and anyone who's ever run out of fuel would have ended up with failed motors. Obviously this is not the case.

Manufacturers even put fuel cut strategies on turbocharged cars which are triggered when boost exceeds a pre set level.

A lean condition is a problem on a multi-cylinder motor running at higher rpm when it drops an injector in one of the cylinders and the other cylinders keep firing.

spud477
28-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I'd rather fuel in the carbs or injectors keeps the air and moisture out
especially salt air

GB61
29-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Leaving unleaded fuel in your carb bowl ( and having it evaporate ) is a recipe for gum and varnish problems , If you dont use regularly ,and the fuel evaporates it leaves gum in the bowl and jets . EFI would be different. I`ve always run my two stroke outboards and dirt bikes empty and even 20hp honda outboard (carb model) .They all start better pumping in new fuel next time . If you were using your boat a couple of times a week i dont think it would matter as the fuel would still be " fresh " in the carb. Works for me anyway.