PDA

View Full Version : Trailer questions

JulianDeMarchi
22-04-2014, 12:30 PM
heya!

Got a couple of questions regarding trailers. Have searched previous threads with not much luck.

- What makes a drive on trailer?
- How do you decide how to setup a trailer in regards to amount of roller and placement of rollers?

I've got a Yalta Craft 55 sitting on the dual axle dunbier that I'm going to do some work on. I'm not happy with how it is setup, nor the steel bolts used on the trailer. Most the bolts on it are rusted. I've also noticed rust on the middle cross member near the drain hole underneath, doesn't look bad, but they rust from the inside, so who knows!

My rollers are also starting to mark the hull which I plan to replace. The best price I'ved found is $6.50 for the grey ridged wobble roller.

I'm also interested in seeing pics of other peoples trailer setup if possible.

Cheers in advanced!

Oceanranger24
22-04-2014, 12:55 PM
Hi Julian,
drive on... basically, the rearmost rollers must do some important jobs;
1) catch the bow of the boat
2 direct and centre the bow
3 be 'soft' enough that when you miss the sweet spot, it doesn't tear your hull apart with bolts, mudguards etc

So... you have driven and engaged the bow into the rear rollers, the boat has centered itself... you may need to drive and steer under power to get it straight
Now you drive forward.

A well set up trailer will allow the boat to just move straight and true until it hits the bow roller. (if yours behaves nicely when you winch it up, it should be fine.)

Oh... my little tip... make sure you can easily and safely climb over the bow of the boat onto the trailer and down to the ground. You wont need a ladder on the boat, but some 'steps' of some kind near the winch are often handy especially if you are without a crew.

SAFETY: look to see if there is anything that could be hit if things go badly. ( I once drove an inboard ski boat on and the gap for the prop was a bit narrow. Ooops, quite expensive prop repair needed.)

good luck

Phil

bigjimg
22-04-2014, 05:44 PM
102704102705102706Something in the range of 24 rollers or more would be required. Cut some 100 diameter poly water pipe as protection. This is a Dunbier trailer.Jim

Viking Trailer Spares have polyurethane rollers under $6-00. Boundary Rd Coopers Plains.

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the great info so far guys. So in regards to rollers, my trailer has 2 sets of 4 wobblers at the stern end, then only a set of 2 wobble rollers half way up. It has keel rollers the whole length.

So far I plan to leave the 2 sets of 4 at the back. change the middle set of 2 to another set of 4 rollers then move the set of 2 further up front.

One question remains, how can the end of the trailer be configured to "centre" the boat. I have a keel roller first that is only used to when loading and un-loading the boat and 4 wobblers that overhang the ass end, so doesn't seem like much to centre her. I can't have the rollers overhanging too much as I have a water pickup on the bum that is bout 5 mm from resting on a roller as it is.

Fed
24-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Put little guide skids either side of the second last centre roller, ones that run at right angles to the trailer centreline, these are to stop you missing the main roller.
When you retrieve submerge the trailer until the second last roller is at or just below the water level. By the time you have progressed up the tailer a little the rear wobblies will have caught & centered the back of the boat for you.

On a traditional trailer the last & second last roller centre the boat but on your trailer with the drop down rear roller the centreing is done by the second last roller & the rear wobblies.

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Should I be putting on the extra wobblie rollers or am I wasting my time?

bobbyb
24-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Julian, check the guides from the keel rollers out to the side of the trailer in this pic. with enough of these the boat has choice but go on straight. 102750

Fed
24-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I think your biggest concern should be 'missing' the second last roller and crunching your boat on the cross member so I'd put a skid either side of it to push the boat back onto the roller.
After that it should find its own way home.

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Julian, check the guides from the keel rollers out to the side of the trailer in this pic. with enough of these the boat has choice but go on straight. 102750

That attachment didn't work mate. Could you please re-try?

bobbyb
24-04-2014, 11:49 AM
that trailer gives me a woody.......

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 11:50 AM
I think your biggest concern should be 'missing' the second last roller and crunching your boat on the cross member so I'd put a skid either side of it to push the boat back onto the roller.
After that it should find its own way home.

The "skid" I imagine would be a triangle shape coming from the keel rollers which allow the boat to slide back into centre? Just trying to picture it in my head.

bobbyb
24-04-2014, 11:56 AM
take 2.....102751102751

bobbyb
24-04-2014, 11:59 AM
sorry not working for me, butt you got the idea. cheers...

JulianDeMarchi
24-04-2014, 01:17 PM
After more and more searching finally found some more answers that will assist me.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?138982-Yalta-Owners-Club-aka-Roll-Call/page4

and

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?155961-Making-a-Brooker-trailer-a-drive-on&highlight=brooker+trailer

My trailer is actually a broker. Don't know why I keep thinking it is a dunbier... Dreaming I spose!

I'll be adding the skids and the poly covers as recommended. Also the rust issue seems standard from factory using zink plated bolts and not gal. Pathetic...

KingyKing
24-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Keel rollers and side bunks are the go they work great.