PDA

View Full Version : Stessco SFX 450 Catcher Capabilities?

fishychrissy
21-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Hey All,

Just scored a new Stessco SFX 450 Catcher with a 60Hp 4str Yammie to push it along.
Whilst I'm sitting here in absolute agony waiting for its delivery date, I just wondered if anybody has any experience with this boat, or knows anybody who has one, and more importantly what it's capabilities will be in regard to where I can fish in the Bay, or how far I could reasonably go out in the right conditions?
Dealer says it'll go anywhere I want to go within reason and that they regularly take them out to Palmy Reef on the right day.
Has the SoftRide Hull with a reverse chine for increased stability and a lot of vertical ribs making it look like a pretty solid hull.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts, interested to know your opinions.
Cheers.
Chris

lippa
21-04-2014, 10:50 PM
id take her to the shelf in variable winds:)
jokes aside, nice ride mate!

thing is mate, getting out in good conditions is the easy bit, when the weather turns shit is where the test is.

get yourself comfortable with the boat on the first few occasions by doing the basic things well.
you will get a feel for the boat and then know where its capabilities are.

No reason that boat cant do most inshore reef work, enjoy :)

lippa

fishychrissy
21-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Thanks Lippa,

Yeah I used to go on a bit of an adventure in the Northern Bay just out from Bribie in my 4m tinny that I've just got rid of, and found the more I used it, the more I trusted it. Went out and spun up some Macks off the Bribie Blinker one day in beautiful conditions, then the tide changed and she got a bit lumpy in a matter of minutes. Same thing happened out near Gilligan's Island too. Really does make for a steeper learning curve.
Sure am looking forward to that larger hull!
Cheers Mate.

fishychrissy
22-04-2014, 10:05 PM
Would I be asking too much of it get out towards Moreton such as around the Pearl Channel and the like?
Cheers
Chris

snapperbasher
23-04-2014, 08:03 AM
Mate I have a 4.85 Seajay territory. I would take itanywhere in reasonable conditions...I have fished 40kms of bustard head in itand regularly take it out to the 35’s and beyond off Moreton. It’s about beingcomfortable with the boat. Generally speaking the boat will handle more thanthe skipper will.