PDA

View Full Version : Stern Anchor Recommendations

kiwimex
21-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a great easter break and got plenty of boating in! I sure did.... now its time to buy more stuff for my boat before my next venture.

I have a 6.5m centre console and am looking for a stern anchor to use on the beach at Tangalooma or similar. I would prefer lightweight, and compact but still with decent holding power. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Vitamin Sea
21-04-2014, 07:55 PM
mate a danforth or a small plough will do the job, just bury it down a bit. you will still want a bit of chain to hold it in place.
cheers
vs

ifishcq1
21-04-2014, 08:51 PM
the only recomendation I can give is, you need an anchor with heaps less hold than your main, it takes bugger all to hold your stern towards the beach
because the last thing you need is the main letting go and your stern holding tight into a sea or any onshore wave
make sure your main anchor has enough chain and is set to a much longer than usual length which serves the purpose of the ability to let your nose ride over an incoming swell
so a small standard danforth is your best bet with a small chain depending on whether your pick will be up the beach higher or lower than your stern
chain only holds your rope flat to the bottom, if your anchor is higher than the stern then chain does nothing
I have been there in bad westerly change of weather when lots of boats have been dunked or beached between the wrecks and Bulwer because they didn't have an adequate main with enough chain or rope
cheers

Crunchy
22-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I use my old mooloolaba pick but people keep insisting on standing on the tynes so not recommended.